Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard it be recommended that anyone who might want an AR in the future take this opportunity to stock up on lowers. With the incoming administration, and the gun control laws they'll likely bring with them, I'm thinking that this may be good advice. I have some questions though.

If I buy a lower now, and the assault rifle ban comes back, will I be able to build up the rifle any way I please, and consider it grandfathered in because the lower is pre-(or inter-)ban?

Is the lower the only piece that would have a pre/post-ban status? Is it true the rest of the parts on the gun are essentially add-ons to the lower?

What lower would you folks recommend?

I'm pretty ignorant to a lot of this. I'm a fairly novice gun owner, but have always wanted an AR. So, any advice is appreciated.

I've read the FAQ, but a lot of it was LE related.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
There is no telling what the regulations would be in AWB pt. 2.

If you can find a few lowers right now you should snag them up quick. Just about any lower will do the trick as they are all "pretty much" the same unless they are billet.
RRA, Stag, Double Star, DPMS, LWRC, S&W, Bushmaster.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So under the last AWB, if you had a pre-ban lower, you could put any attachments on it you wanted? None of the limit crap?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
no one knows, NO ONE. **** they could come up with an AWB that makes ALL lowers contraband even lowers purchased BEFORE the ban.

OR they could not ban ANYthing.... OR they could have a feel good ban like last time.... who knows i dont think they will ban any in the next year or so. i feel any new gun legislation is going to be in the form of a GCA like the one they had in the 60's that is still current today.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
As others have said, no-one knows. However, the last ban included collapsible stocks, mags over 10 rounds and some other stuff I can't remember right now. I have 2 lowers coming and 12 mags. Looking at collapsible stocks right now.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
superior armslowers are pretty good. i really like how they have a pretravel adjustment screw for single stage triggers. you can adjust it so there is no takeup

but it couldnt hurt to buy a lower now

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Chances are if another AWB is put in place it will read much like the old one in terms of regulations. That means things like threaded muzzle breaks and bayo lugs are a no-go. That also means that anything built before the ban is fair game, and you can buy it and own it. Anything built afterwords must follow the new guidelines.

That is why you see "pre ban" and "post ban" uppers for ARs. The post bans don't have the cool stuff like threaded flash hiders, while the pre bans do. And since some states didn't get the memo about the AWB being over, you can still buy post ban parts to comply.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
IMHO trying to buy guns or parts in anticipating of a ban is futile. For all we know, it could be a New Jersey style ban which requires either registration, disabling, or surrender of all "assault weapons" without grandfather.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Realize that the new version of the AWB (HR 1022) is MUCH more restrictive that the old ban. The new one classifies an assault rifle as one having JUST ONE military-style feature: threaded barrel, pistol grip, barrel shroud (intentionally vague to include ALL AR handguards), forward vertical grip, or telescopic stock.

If the logic behind buying/hoarding stripped lowers, is that they will be grandfathered and allowable in the future, that is a big risk. By the wording of the new bill, as soon as you screw on a pistol grip or attach a sliding stock, you have fabricated an assault weapon. I really doubt Obama wants people building assault rifles in their home workshops. He has already promised to shut down FFL "kitchen gun dealers".

If you want to own an AR-15 (that has a better chance of being grandfathered in a new law), you should buy a complete rifle (if you can find one).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I recommend collecting legally bought complete rifles, spare parts, magazines, and ammo. I don't see the logic of hoarding stripped lowers.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I wouldn't buy a lower just to have a lower sitting around, because if another AWB takes effect, that lower is going to be pretty useless. Now, if you want to build it up into a complete rifle eventually, then it's worth it.

I just ordered a handful of stripped lowers myself, and a couple of complete uppers to go along. Uppers are taking a LONG while, though...

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I'd just like to know from what expertise does Wild Rice base his recommendations? I'm going to pick up three Stag lowers in about an hour. Will immediately build two and hold one for later build. Since there are no serial numbers on any parts other than the lower, how would anybody know when the rest of the rifle was built?]

The FEDS ARE NOT GOING TO CONFISCATE OUR ARs. Even if there's a new ban. That's just ignorant blathering, with little understanding of the Consitutional provisions regarding "taking", etc.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd just like to know from what expertise does Wild Rice base his recommendations? I'm going to pick up three Stag lowers in about an hour. Will immediately build two and hold one for later build. Since there are no serial numbers on any parts other than the lower, how would anybody know when the rest of the rifle was built?]

The FEDS ARE NOT GOING TO CONFISCATE OUR ARs. Even if there's a new ban. That's just ignorant blathering, with little understanding of the Consitutional provisions regarding "taking", etc.
They don't have to come take them, just outlaw posession of them. Most folks will just turn them in or willingly destroy them.

The, rest is easy for them. If you are in posession, they can confiscate them as being used in connection with a crime. No need to compensate you... ;)

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
So under the last AWB, if you had a pre-ban lower, you could put any attachments on it you wanted? None of the limit crap?
No.

You could only build it up in postban parts unless you found someone willing to part with other preban parts to complete it (at a much higher price of course). And even then you would REALLY need to have something like a receipt or something for the item you were buying to show that it was a legitimate preban item. It was very hard in some places especially to build during those years in anything but postban configurations.

Manufacturers weren't allowed to sell pre ban parts to you unless you were LEO, Military, etc. during '94-'04.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To Everyone Else:

Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate ya'll takin the time to reply to my post. I'm currently in the market for a used, full AR-15.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Exactly what I was trying to point out. To ponder "what should I buy so that I will have a gun when the ban comes" is ultimately self defeating. We need to concentrate on defeating any anti-gun agenda, not on hoarding guns or parts as if a ban is unavoidable.
Bingo! Now we have a winner.

I ask one simple question of "us." Did everyone who is stocking up on lowers like the sky will fall tomorrow make sure their NRA membership is up to date? GOA membership?

A bill to reinstate the "Clinton" AWB has been introduced every year since that ban expired. And it's basically the same text. It has never made it to the president's desk.

What's different now is who is in congress. If congress passes such a bill, I would bet it will get signed. When the Clinton AWB made it through, a lot of people in congress got tossed out by their constituents in the following election cycle. That didn't do much for us for the ten years it was in effect, but it does serve to warn those in congress not to screw around with the rights of their constituents.

And that's why it's vital that we make sure that no matter what one might think of the NRA, it stays well funded. Anyone not a member can can go soak their heads as whiny crybabies if a ban should come.

To get to the OP's question, the way the old AWB worked (and it's likely that any new one will work the same way), any AW made after the magic date was banned. Any AW made before the magic date was A-OK. A stripped lower is not an AW. You have to actually assemble the EBR before the ban date to have it "grandfathered."

How can they tell it was fully assembled pre-ban? Well, they really can't. If I were completing stripped lowers on my own, I'd be inclined to take photographs of those completed items with some form of date stamping in the photo. At least it would provide some degree of proof that the AW was made pre-ban.

For completed rifles I buy I ask the FFL to make me a copy of the signed/dated 4473, staple the dated receipt to that, and keep it in a safe place. The serial numbers on completed rifles "should" provide proof of date of manufacture, but manufacturing records do get lost and stuff happens so take care of yourself and keep your own records too.

Shoot straight and stay safe.

VR

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all so much for the replies. I'm enjoying following the conversation, and am learning a lot.

To the original poster,

You are more than welcome here, however for the most part XDTalk members would classify themselves as either a moderate republican or conservative Republicans or Independents, not a lot of Liberals. If you don't like that then you should start your own XD sight something like XDTALK for Liberals. We are scared of the President elect not only because he is well a scary guy, but also the fact that the Democratic party picked up too many seats. So I am afraid of not having any checks and balances. We want to talk about morals? I would admit that GB has had is fair share of problems as our president. I do think he has gone a GREAT JOB keep this country safe from attacks. I don't give a dam if they listen in to my phone conversations either. If they want to hear my friend complain about his wife to me, and then the wife complain to be about my friend so be it.

Now Old Clinton is a totally different story. He first off had an affair on his wife. Not only did he do this he did this in a home that we pay for. Then he LIED over and over and over again. This is one of your party's leaders. So I don't like the fact that people try to justify what he did. He was wrong, and we all know it. I don't like that peoples kids had to hear that the President had an affair soit must be ok for them to do as well. So we are sorry we make you feel uncomfortable here, however we as a group should not change out views to accommodate you. If you don't like our company then start your own web site.
Thanks for bringing politics back in to this post. I won't justify the content with any kind of rebuttal here, but if you'd like to talk via PM or by starting a thread where political talk is ok, I'll be glad to respond.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts