Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, so excuse me if I ask previously answered questions.

I'm a die-hard Glock guy. They have served me well, never had any malfunctions and I'm happy as heck with them. But, just like having a beautiful girlfriend, the grass is starting to look greener on the other side so I'm thinking about adding to my collection.
I've thought about the M&P, SR9, and of course the XD9. The XDm looks good but don't want to throw down that much cash for an addition to my collection.

Here are my questions
1. What are the main problems and/or concerns with the XD9? Be truthful, because I'll be the first to tell you that GlockTalk forum is filled with whining babies complaining about their Gen4 G19's. Both of my Gen4's have performed perfectly, so I really can't relate to a malfunctioning gun.

2. What is the "2006 package"? Does it mean that the gun was made in 2006 and being sold as new? Don't want an old gun that hasn't had the bugs worked out yet.

3. How is the availability of accessories? Glock accessories are everywhere. I don't want to have to hunt under every internet rock to find accessories.

Please don't turn this into a "my XD is better than your Glock" thread. I'm just looking for advice on whether I should shell out my money on another pistol, and figured who better to ask about XD's than XD owners?

Thanks...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'll take a stab...

1. I think the XD .45's have trouble with wadcutters. The only other regular concern is the striker retainer pin, which can crack/work loose over time. But getting an upgraded one and installing seems pretty simple. I am pretty new, and just have the factory one still.

2. They have changed the accessories over the years that are supplied with the gun (holster, mag holder, reloader, etc). If you look now, you'll see they offer new ones as 'Essentials only' for a limited time, or ' with Gear' packages.

3. Not sure what you mean by accessories. A couple companies make springs, trigger kits, guide rods, and other internals. The rail is a standard rail. Sights, holsters, for XD's are available from most companies that make them. The laser grips are available.

Other than trigger kit, guide rod, sights, holster... not a whole lot to play with it seems to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 2006 package is just the accessories that come with the pistol, and not the manufacture date? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, certainly some were made that year....

I dont see sellers post the year guns were made usually, other than saying New in Box. I guess you would have to call Springfield and get a serial number checked (if they do that) if you wanted a gun made in 2011.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm new to this forum, so excuse me if I ask previously answered questions.

I'm a die-hard Glock guy. They have served me well, never had any malfunctions and I'm happy as heck with them. But, just like having a beautiful girlfriend, the grass is starting to look greener on the other side so I'm thinking about adding to my collection.
I've thought about the M&P, SR9, and of course the XD9. The XDm looks good but don't want to throw down that much cash for an addition to my collection.

Here are my questions
1. What are the main problems and/or concerns with the XD9? Be truthful, because I'll be the first to tell you that GlockTalk forum is filled with whining babies complaining about their Gen4 G19's. Both of my Gen4's have performed perfectly, so I really can't relate to a malfunctioning gun.

2. What is the "2006 package"? Does it mean that the gun was made in 2006 and being sold as new? Don't want an old gun that hasn't had the bugs worked out yet.

3. How is the availability of accessories? Glock accessories are everywhere. I don't want to have to hunt under every internet rock to find accessories.

Please don't turn this into a "my XD is better than your Glock" thread. I'm just looking for advice on whether I should shell out my money on another pistol, and figured who better to ask about XD's than XD owners?

Thanks...
Hey FyreCalG17. I'll take a second stab at your questions (though they will be similar to what Murr already stated).

1. Some Xd45's do not like wadcutters. It's not an across the board issue as some will take them and some won't. Generally this issue was fixed with a redesign in the XDm 45.

As Murr stated the only other potential issue is the striker retaining pin. Many, myself being one of them, have shot thousands of rounds on the stock pin without an issue. Then every once in a while you get someone who has a broken pin in less than 500 rounds. There are 2 theories on this. The first being that the pin was installed incorrectly and split and the second is simply a manufacturing error (i.e. a bad pin). This pin was designed to take the load off the breach face when a dry fire occurs. I'm sure you have seen a few threads on Glocktalk with cracked breach faces? This pin prevents it. So essentially it is a sacrificial part. As preventative maintenance, you should probably change it out every once in a while (many thousands of rounds) but I believe one of our sponsors who has dozens of XD's has one with over 10k rounds on the stock pin so its your call.

If you call Springfield they'll send you a few for free to keep in your bag. PRP and Springer sell a stronger pin (3 for $12) that should last the life of the gun if you should deem it necessary to do so.

2. The 2006 package includes a lock, holster, mag pouch, brush, and a speedloader. These items have changed a little here and there over the years but it does not mean you are getting a gun from 2006. The "gear" is a little on the cheap side but it works until you can get something better. As much as it shames me to admit it I'm still using the XDm mag pouch and holster for both my XDm and my new Glock.:shock: I swear I'm getting bladetech replacements soon!

3. Parts and accessories are not as difficult to find as say for a Steyr A1 but at the same time not as prevalent as Glock. You can find numerous holsters, sights, etc for the XD but you can't walk into your local 7-11 and get a new trigger connector like you can for the Glock. That is a direct result of being so popular for so long. Glock has an amazing aftermarket.

My XDm has served me well and has never failed me. Personally I think its build quality/fit & finish is every bit as good as a Glock. But I can also appreciate other pistols. As a result I now have a Gen4 G17 that I will be using in GSSF competition starting this Saturday. I hope to have a M&P as well in the near future despite my mother's M&P9c being a pile of crap that was quickly sold. I bought a Gen4 despite the numerous "my Gen4 sucks" threads on Glocktalk. The point (and this is something that it sounds like you already know) is that there is no such thing as a perfect pistol and anyone can find examples of bad apples. You shouldn't have any more or less issues with an XD than you could potentially have with a Glock. They are different guns and appeal to different people for different reasons. Rent or borrow one and see if they are for you.

BTW - this is a great thread for you to read through. First post will answer pretty much anything question you should have regarding its quality.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/genera...pe-myths-xd-good-enough-professional-use.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
The only advantage the glock has is aftermarket parts. The gap has closed enough now for me to say that it no longer much of an advantage.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I'll make a stab at a response that for me is hypothetical. The hypothetical part is because I am in California and can't obtain (easily) a XD9M.

The biggest selling point I believe between an XD9 and the XD9M would be the adjustable palm swell and the larger round capacity. Those two point might be worth the extra cost that you question. Pick up and handle an XD9 vs the XDm and if the feel of the "right" palm swell is something that appeals, maybe that is a decision point.

You'll get that adjustable palm swell change in the M&P that you won't get in an XD9,
again, the feel maybe worthwhile.

Combine that with trigger, sights, etc, those are all decision points that only you can answer. I can say that I have 4 XDs, no Glocks because preferred the FEEL of the XD over the Glock. Any of the guns you listed are quality guns, you're just trying to find that Blond, Brunette or Redhead. Or maybe that model that has dyed her hair pink and blue. I will be picking up an Ruger SR9c in the next few days, the trigger of that gun felt better to me than the trigger of an SR9. And if we start talking the feel of guns, we could discuss 1911 models (and everyone who is collecting guns should have a few of those). Too many models, not enough money and not enough space in the gun safe.

But tell us what you choose and why, it always makes for an interesting data point.
And you didn't discuss revolvers which would make my wife question your sanity.

Good luck and have fun at the gun shop.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Both Glock and XD family are excellent weapons. Might have been a bit of teething pains with Gen4 Glocks. Might be a low level of concern on the striker pin. Honestly, both are over blown concerns by those that dislike them! If you are able to hit your target more often with greater confidence with one over the other -- then get that one. For many of us here, that one is in the XD family and not in the Glock. Bet you get a lot of answers the other way on the Glock forums! ;) Take both sides with a grain of salt, handle each and make up your own mind.

The only issues I've ever had with mine have been related to my own faults. Dropped a full mag in powder sand and had a couple fail to feeds because there was a LOT of sand in the mag. Also like a lot of people new to strikers, I over oiled mine and built up a nasty case of sludge. Smarting up and switching to a 100% dry lube (100% silicone spray) and there have been no repeats.

The trigger was what I considered to be mushy. The lowest level of kit from PRP solved that and 5 min with a polishing wheel made it totally smooth and silky.

After 2-3000 live rounds and 2-3x that number of dry fires without snap caps, the famous striker retainer pin is still in what I call pristine condition. YMMV.

·
Registered
340 Posts
my XD is better than your Glock :D:D

Everyone else pretty much answered the questions already.

Only thing I'll add is that XDs handle ammo very well too. You can pretty much put anything that you want in there and it'll go bang. Apparently the first few posters mentioned something about wadcutters in .45s, don't have a .45 so don't know anything about that.

If you find the rolling round count thread in this forum, you'll see that posters have put about 150,000 rounds through their XDs, and I think there's been something around 13-14 failures

1 - 9 of 9 Posts