Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying something today. Here are my options and prices from several places:

S&W Oprical Ready $799
DPMS M-4 $609
Bushmaster Flattop $859

Please let me know some thoughts. I am thinking the Smith. But want opinions!!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, Im getting impatient! I need some opinions on the above!! Even if the opinions are they are all a rip-off. I wanted to buy a complete lower and complete upper, but those lower options are hard to come by now. And now with the election; I just want a Black Rifle!!

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
OK, Im getting impatient! I need some opinions on the above!! Even if the opinions are they are all a rip-off. I wanted to buy a complete lower and complete upper, but those lower options are hard to come by now. And now with the election; I just want a Black Rifle!!
Wow, an hour and a half and you're already getting impatient?

What do you want to use the rifle for?

What optics do you want to use, if any?

Do the flat tops include BUIS or Carry handle?

You probably didn't get a response because more info is needed to give a good opinion.

ETA: I have the S&W and it works well for me.

My best advice here is maybe to switch to the Decaf. ;)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HaHa...Details Details...I want a rifle for fear of AWB which necessitates the NOW. But for fun on the range, and HD purposes mainly. I am going to go with optics of some sort. EoTech or Bushnell. Bushy flattop has no rear site and S&W has no sights front or rear. Decaf?? No fun!! I am excited!!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I would have to see pictures to make an informed decision.

Personally, I would do the DPMS by the information provided =P

Where is this $600 black rifle? Do you have links?

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
HaHa...Details Details...I want a rifle for fear of AWB which necessitates the NOW. But for fun on the range, and HD purposes mainly. I am going to go with optics of some sort. EoTech or Bushnell. Bushy flattop has no rear site and S&W has no sights front or rear. Decaf?? No fun!! I am excited!!
You can get a decent set of front/rear flip sites for about $150-$160, a good BUIS only for about $80-$100. That said, Bushy and Smith are probably about even in terms of value and bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I vote DPMS. Largest AR-15 manufacture, ton of accessories available direct from DPMS. You can get your rifle and a bushnell holosight for the same price as the base Bushmaster or S&W. Any one of them will go bang, none really being more accurate than the other, all good rifles.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
no experience with either personally.. but i just picked up the bushy flat top, nice feeling rifle... if they are out of S&W's pick it up.. otherwise.. grab that S&W.

cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
I already had a S&W MP15T before we sold our national soul to the devil and it is very nice, in my opinion - got it set up with an EoTech. Nice quality and finish. I also went to the Forth Worth gun show the weekend before the election and bought a couple of DPMS rifles; a L-308 with 24" heavy SS barrel, and one of their "standard" model AR's chambered for 7.62x39. Both are also quite nice. L-308 is rather heavy and just fells substantial in your hands. Fit and finish are fine.

Haven't shot either DPMS yet - went out to the range last week when I had a chance and the place, normally a ghost town on a weekday MORNING (9:30am) - was completely full of shooters! :-( (But that could mean good things too, I suppose).

Oh, and also picked up an XDM-9 from the same dealer while I was at it. Great handgun, by the way. Also picked up a very nice SKS as well. So yeah, I was one of 'those guys' who went a little purchase-crazy. :p

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I am still torn. I was leaning Smith, but the price on the DPMS is good, and the point on adding a quality optic and be at the same price as a base Smith was well-taken. I dont expect i will have any problems with a DPMS as i will not be subjecting it to any extremes, or will not be serving as a service rifle. But what are the main differences in Smith and Panther? Is the chrome-lined barrel (or lack of) a major concern?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Well, I am still torn. I was leaning Smith, but the price on the DPMS is good, and the point on adding a quality optic and be at the same price as a base Smith was well-taken. I dont expect i will have any problems with a DPMS as i will not be subjecting it to any extremes, or will not be serving as a service rifle. But what are the main differences in Smith and Panther? Is the chrome-lined barrel (or lack of) a major concern?

Only if you don't plan on cleaning your rifle often. Otherwise, the chrome lined barrel won't factor into it much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts