Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to a large gun show this weekend (Tulsa, OK) and am going to be looking very hard for a good deal on a brand new bi tone XD-9. If I can find one for a good deal (my local dealer wants $580 OTD!, I'll pay up to $475 or so) I'm going to buy it.

Anything I should know about gun show purchases? This will be my first handgun and first gun show purchase.

Will I still be getting the Springfield warranty?

Please inform me so I don't get screwed...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Gun show prices are usually better, for whatever reason. At least around here. I think it's because they can't count on the "idiot factor" of someone just walking in and buying at their high price. They have to be more competitive.

Yeah, you'll get Springfield's warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the whole background check thing. If I pay cash is it going to be like "the sale never happened"?

I plan on paying cash for the sake of hopefully getting a better deal. Do I need to be concerned about a paper trail?

Like I said, first gun and first gun show buy...I know nothing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In MO they still have to go by the laws of the state. So here they still have to do the background check. You can walk out with long guns on the spot (long guns don't need a permit to purchase). The same with handguns as long as you have already gotten your permit to purchase ahead of time. If you haven't got your buy permit yet then you need an FFL to do the transfer later if the person you buy from isn't local.

It looks like you may have already looked locally, but if you have only looked one place you might want to look a bit more locally if you can. I have had friends that bought at gun shows and later found local shops that had them for less. Sometimes yes and sometimes no on finding a better deal at a show. You can sometimes find deals and paying cash usually helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It depends on if you buy from a dealer or not. A FFL has to do the standard background check. A purchase from a non-FFL will depend on the laws of your state.

·
Registered
91 Posts
gundawg is right. If you buy from an FFL dealer, he or she is required to do an instant background check before giving you the gun. They just make a call and provide the gov't with your name, SSN, and DOB. As long as you aren't a certified axe murderer, you should check out fine and walk out of there with your new XD!

If you buy from a "private" citizen, there is no requirement for a background check, and no paper trail. Use caution, however, as having a paper trail can actually be beneficial to you. On the remote chance that the gun you are buying is somehow related to a crime, and there is no proof of your buying it or who sold it to you, much trouble could ensue. Just be on the lookout for anyone acting strangely during a sales pitch. If it feels weird, buy from someone else.

The show in Tulsa is awesome, by the way. I was there last fall, spent hours wandering around, and probably only saw 1/4 of the tables. It's HUGE!

Have a great time! I wish I could go.

P.S. Pack a sandwich and a drink - the food they sell is way overpriced and stale.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
cdogg44 said:
What about the whole background check thing. If I pay cash is it going to be like "the sale never happened"?

I plan on paying cash for the sake of hopefully getting a better deal. Do I need to be concerned about a paper trail?

Like I said, first gun and first gun show buy...I know nothing.
well... here in texas they do a background check no matter how you pay or where you buy.

its most likely the same in your state.

why, do you have something to hid? :twisted:

·
Registered
91 Posts
At the tulsa show, as long as it is a private transaction, (not from a dealer) no paperwork at all. if youre not from OK thats the only way you can buy.
Great show, cant wait until Saturday

·
Registered
513 Posts
Have fun at the gun show. I have a co-worker that is going too. Said he is going to buy a gun sleeve but not guns. It should be a GREAT show. Be sure to ask people walking around with guns if they are wanting to sell them as they usually are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wheats said:
At the tulsa show, as long as it is a private transaction, (not from a dealer) no paperwork at all. if youre not from OK thats the only way you can buy.
Great show, cant wait until Saturday
Can you go into more detail on this?

Basically, since I don't live in Oklahoma, I won't be able to buy from a dealer?

And no, I have nothing to hide.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
If you are not from the state the gunshow is in,you will not be able to buy a handgun.You can have one shipped to your ffl,but out of state handgun purchases are a no no.Now if you buy from a non-ffl and they dont ask well,dont ask dont tell might work but I wouldnt do it.Heres my 10 cts,my 2 cts were free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Basically, since I don't live in Oklahoma, I won't be able to buy from a dealer?

And no, I have nothing to hide.
It is a federal felony to buy a gun from a resident of another state, dealer or not. (unless it is shipped from the seller to a FFL in your home state for delivery)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So then me driving to Tulsa on Saturday to buy a gun would be completely pointless?

Also, who do I call in the state of Arkansas to find out more information on this? Like, what agency? The state police?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would call the state police. You won't be able to buy a handgun from a dealer at the show. You can buy from a private seller, but you have no guarantees the weapon is not stolen or evidence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, I called the gun show people today, and told them that I was from Arkansas and was wanting to buy a new handgun, but would be out of state. They said there were going to be Arkansas dealers there and that I shouldn't have any problem.

Sound good? I can't be the first person in the world who crossed a state line in search of a good deal on a new handgun....especially at a gunshow the size of Wanenmacher show and with it being so close to Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas.

·
Registered
156 Posts
RJ's Gun Sales will be in booth 25C. He just got in at least a dozen XD's including the sub I bought from him on Wednesday. He has great prices.

Perhaps you can find an Arkansas dealer to do the transfer. Expect them to want a small fee for doing it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my XD40 at a gun show in Hot Springs in July of 2003. They do the required check and unless you have problems or something it takes about 5 mins total.

I got a really good deal IMO especially since the XDs were very hard to find around that time.

Springfields warranty definitely applies to guns purchased at gunshows, I just got a brand new gun in January due to a crack in the frame.

Went to a show here in Searcy on Saturday, but there wasnt a big turnout of dealers, and definitely no GAPs found (maybe my next purchase).

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I'd just check with another dealer. I got my bi-tone XD-9 for $425. There's bound to be a dealer somewhere around you who isn't charging retail. And maybe gun shows in Oklahoma are good deals, but I haven't found a good deal at a gun show since the internet appeared. Half the stuff for sale here in West Texas, you can get for 25-30% less at Wal-Mart, but morons line up and carry it home. I have gotten to the point now where I go to my dealer, and pay a little more; that way I know I have someone to service/warranty my gun, and who stocks the supplies I need. It's a pain to always have to order online, especially when you need something today. So support your local gun dealer (assuming he's any good)!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts