Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm going to a gun show this weekend and plan on leaving with an AK. I'm leaning towards the WASR 10/63. Aside from magazine wobble, canted sights and gas tubes, what else should I watch out for? Is there any way to check for trigger slap aside from firing the thing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Hi, I'm going to a gun show this weekend and plan on leaving with an AK. I'm leaning towards the WASR 10/63. Aside from magazine wobble, canted sights and gas tubes, what else should I watch out for? Is there any way to check for trigger slap aside from firing the thing?

Thanks.
I hate to tell you this, but all AKs have mag wobble to some extent (they're not AR15s).

Quite a few military issued AKs have some cant to their FSB or gas block.

What you want to look out for is excessive measurements in any of the above.

i.e. the 'mag wobble' is so bad, the bolt stops on the mag lips when the rifle is turned on it's side, or the bolt completely passes over the next cartridge in the mag (time for a snap cap?).

If you can see obvious cant, look for one that isn't so obvious.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but all AKs have mag wobble to some extent (they're not AR15s).

Quite a few military issued AKs have some cant to their FSB or gas block.

What you want to look out for is excessive measurements in any of the above.

i.e. the 'mag wobble' is so bad, the bolt stops on the mag lips when the rifle is turned on it's side, or the bolt completely passes over the next cartridge in the mag (time for a snap cap?).

If you can see obvious cant, look for one that isn't so obvious.
+1

They're also gonna rattle. My initial inspection of used pistols consists of giving the gun in question a good shake. If it rattles, I want to know why. If an AK doesn't rattle, I want to know why not.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Is there any way to check for trigger slap aside from firing the thing?

Thanks.
Check the gun for clear and ask permission to dry fire it. When you pull the trigger, don't release it. Keep the trigger pulled back and rack the slide. If you feel the trigger push back on your finger at a specific point while pulling the bolt back, you will probably have trigger slap. It's a pretty obvious feeling. The disconnector has an extra tab on the back that pushes down on the back of the trigger when the hammer pushes the disconnector back and slips under it.

I wouldn't pass on a good deal because of trigger slap though - it just takes 30 minutes or so with a dremel to fix it.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Century stopped using the 'trigger slapping FCGs' almost 2 years ago.

They went to Tapco G2s at that time.

Unless you end up with one that has sat in a warehouse for 2 years, I don't think trigger slap will be an issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Century stopped using the 'trigger slapping FCGs' almost 2 years ago.

They went to Tapco G2s at that time.

Unless you end up with one that has sat in a warehouse for 2 years, I don't think trigger slap will be an issue.
Are there any way we can know when the Import AK made?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts