Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are many brands of rifles and AR's to chose from. It can be very difficult to decide. One factor one might consider are recently awarded US Government contracts.

"Sabre Defence Industries, LLC, a government contractor for the manufacture of machine gun parts and accessories and commercial XR15 rifles, has been awarded an IDIQ contract for a minimum of 4,952 M16A3 and 702 M16A4 rifles to support the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, and foreign military customers.
Nine bids were received. Sabre becomes only the third company in the 45-year M16 history, besides Colt and FN, to be awarded a contract to supply a Mil-Spec M16 to the U.S. government.
The M16 project will take place at Sabre Defence's Nashville, Tennessee facility and is expected to be completed by end of December, 2010."

I own a Sabre Defense Industries XR-15A3 Light Weight rifle and can vouch that it is an excellent weapon.

"DEA Awards 5 Year Contract to Rock River Arms:
(Colona, IL)…Rock River Arms has the reputation for producing top quality AR15s and custom 1911s. What sets Rock River Arms apart from the competition is their versatility to produce weapons to such rigorous specifications.
Many elite AR15 manufacturers submitted weapons for approval but fell short during the abuse test, which was the initial phase of testing. Rock River Arms AR15 .223/5.56 NATO met the requirements and specifications set forth by DEA. The abuse test consisted of the parts interchange test, the extreme temperature test, the drop test, the throw test and the corrosion test. In the parts interchange test, the carbines were field stripped. The major component parts were randomly interchanged and reassembled. Each carbine was then loaded and fired and had to perform without malfunction. During the extreme temperature test, the carbines were placed in a chamber and stabilized at a temperature of minus 20 F for one hour. Then the weapons were removed and immediately fired at room temperature. Then the carbines were placed in a temperature chamber where it was stabilized at 120 F for one hour then removed and immediately fired at room temperature. The weapon then moved on to the drop test from a height of 4 feet and dropped onto a concrete floor six different times on all sides of the carbine. After completing the drop safety test, the weapon was loaded and had to safely fire 20 rounds with no malfunction to pass. The throw test consisted of throwing the firearm from a height of four feet and over a distance of 15 feet, once on the right side and once on the left side, then must safely fire 20 rounds with no malfunction. It was then submerged in salt water and exposed to sand. After both tests the weapon had to function flawlessly.
Rock River Arms was one of the selected few that outperformed the other manufacturers and moved on to phase two of the testing. Phase two was the 5,000 round endurance/functional reliability test. The testing team consisted of members of the DEA and FBI Firearms Training Unit and the DEA and FBI armorers/gunsmiths. The team also tested for accuracy, dispersion and velocity.
Rock River Arms is supplying the DEA with their AR15 chambered in .223/5.56 NATO, equipped with an Eo Tech holo sight, a Surefire rail and white light, a Viking sling and an Eagle Industry carry case. The DEA awarded Rock River Arms the contract, followed by a substantial purchase order. The initial order will be delivered this month."

I have three RRA LAR-15's, all excellent weapons.

In the non-AR category, the US Secret Service selected the FNH PS90/P90 5.7x28. I own an PS90 and can also vouch that it also is an excellent weapon.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Alright, now I defended your Cav Arms post, but this is a little ridicules. You've made your point.

You can look at virtually ANY make, and find SOME government contract somewhere. Government contracts are awarded, generally on the basis of the best bid. Not the best quality.

RRA is a good company, I own and use them. But I wouldn't buy them just because they got a contract or two...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"You can look at virtually ANY make, and find SOME government contract somewhere. Government contracts are awarded, generally on the basis of the best bid. Not the best quality."

True, US Government contracts are probably mostly political and based on different criteria than what a civilian requires, but these three brands have served me well and just happen to be government approved. As an owner who has dissected each one, I can recommend them to forum readers without reservations. I offer this information as a guide if they are trying to decide.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
It takes much longer than a week to determine if anything is "excellent" especially a weapon.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's all well and good. But the title of your thread was "Buying a new rifle? Consider G'ment awarded contracts".

That's fine that you've had good luck with your 3 brands, but lots of people have had good luck with THEIR brands, and can probably find a government contract to "back it up".

I'm glad you like your rifles. I really am. My motto is "buy what you like". But you're going a bit overboard here, making multiple threads that essentially say the same thing.

That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wild Rice, you crack me up. While I do appreciate your insight in most of your posts, this is almost getting to the point where I start to think that you have some sort of vested interest in these companies. I understand being happy with the stuff that you have, and wanting to sing the praises, but this goes above and beyond.

You mention RR and SDI. You might also want to mention LWRC, Colt, Stag, etc, etc.

With all of that being said, I can tell you from very close personal experience that the Government procurement process is wacky. I work in an engineering role tied to a vendor selling into the Fed. The number one product does not always get the nod and move into procurement. Also, someone else mentioned lowest bidder, that is not always the case either.. at least in my field.

This is not to say that SDI, FNH, and RR do not make fine weapons. I would buy a Sabre in a SECOND if money were not an issue. But if money were not an issue, I would likely purchase LWRC first.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
That's all well and good. But the title of your thread was "Buying a new rifle? Consider G'ment awarded contracts".

That's fine that you've had good luck with your 3 brands, but lots of people have had good luck with THEIR brands, and can probably find a government contract to "back it up".

I'm glad you like your rifles. I really am. My motto is "buy what you like". But you're going a bit overboard here, making multiple threads that essentially say the same thing.

That's all I'm saying.
Agreed 100% :roll:

·
Registered
902 Posts
tagged to watch potential flamewar brewing.... Instant ARFCOM!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would love to hear about other recently awarded US Government rifle contracts. That is what this thread is about. I never said this topic was exclusive to the three brands I mentioned in the original post. Those are just three brands I happen to own and have enough familiarity with to comment/recommend. I only said to consider the awards as one factor. I am not the one over-reaching here. Just relaying my research findings and personal experiences. You can take them with a grain of salt for all I care.

P.S. If you read the DEA/FBI test procedures, it does not look like they were searching for the lowest bid, cheapest rifle they could get.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I would love to hear about other recently awarded US Government rifle contracts. That is what this thread is about. I never said this topic was exclusive to the three brands I mentioned in the original post. Those are just three brands I happen to own and have enough familiarity with to comment/recommend. I only said to consider the awards as one factor. I am not the one over-reaching here. Just relaying my research findings and personal experiences. You can take them with a grain of salt for all I care.

P.S. If you read the DEA/FBI test procedures, it does not look like they were searching for the lowest bid, cheapest rifle they could get.
I work for the government... trust me, you don't want the equipment we use.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Don't gov't contracts usually go to the lowest bidder?

I'm just sayin'.
Also, I see the work done by a lot of companies that do govt work, it sucks.
When the govt gets involved bills go higher and quality goes down.

But I wouldnt mind a RRA ;)!

·
Registered
132 Posts
tagged to watch potential flamewar brewing.... Instant ARFCOM!
You know something, you are right. I re-read my post and it probably comes off as inflammatory, which was not the intention. When I said that Wild Rice "cracks me up", I meant it. He actually makes me chuckle when I read one of his posts relating to a brand he likes, or does not like.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You know something, you are right. I re-read my post and it probably comes off as inflammatory, which was not the intention. When I said that Wild Rice "cracks me up", I meant it. He actually makes me chuckle when I read one of his posts relating to a brand he likes, or does not like.
+1

·
Registered
2,251 Posts

That's all I'm saying.
Yeah, Uraiit is right. The government always gives the contract to the lowest bidder. It's why getting equipment always takes so damn long.

Hell, even Botach Tactical has gotten government contracts. And one of the Botach family guys got a contract to supply the Iraqi army with ammo! Turns out the stuff was made like in 1910 or something, and not worth a ****.

·
Registered
902 Posts
No worries here. I have thick skin and a twisted sense of humor anyhow.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I work for the government... trust me, you don't want the equipment we use.... :rolleyes:

+1,000

If it is the cheapest and you make the government think they need it, they will buy it, ALWAYS REMEMBER when you are in the military your weapon is always made by the lowest bidder!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts