Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a gun online. I found the exact AR-15 I was looking for in stock and ready to ship, whereas the maker had a 12 week waiting time. I ran into quite a few snags. I offer this as advice to make things go smoother for you. Line up a local FFL gun dealer (I prefer low volume gun shops I have bought shop guns from, so they know and trust me). The online dealer will need a FAX of your local dealer's FFL before the gun is shipped to your dealer. They cannot ship directly to you, of course. The online dealer did not have their FAX number listed online. I know businesses don't like SPAM FAX's, but their not having their FAX number listed online caused me hours and hours of aggravation. The online dealer also does not answer their phones, ever. When I ordered the rifle, I did not have the online dealer's FAX number, only the online dealer's phone number. My local shop could not reach them either.

I was finally able to get the online dealers FAX number via an email to the online dealer. I then had to call the local shop and give then the number. I had them read it back to me to make sure it was correct.

I ordered the rifle online (with my home address as the billing address and the local shop's name/address as the shipping address) and paid for it with a credit card. I got an immediate confirmation email, saying I would get another email when the rifle ships. I waited and thought things were going as planned.

The next day, I got an angry call from the online dealer saying he never got the FFL FAX from my local shop. I called the local shop and the dealer forgot to send the FAX! He said he would do it later in the day. I got hold of the shop manager (who I know) and asked her to send the FAX immediately.

I emailed and tried to call the online dealer to tell him the FAX was on the way. No response, so I called the local dealer again to confirm that the FAX had been sent (it had). Still no response from the online dealer, so I am assuming (correctly?) that things are Okay.

Once the rifle arrives at the local shop I will have to inspect the rifle, fill out the state and local forms, produce my ID and voter registration card (or other proof of citizenship when buying an assault weapon), and pay the $50 transfer fee, plus a $2 federal form fee.

Lessons learned: Get the FFL FAX lined up well ahead of time. Don't expect silence to mean things are going as planned. Don't rely on anyone to perform paper work in a timely fashion. Keep on top of people. Find an online dealer who will answer the phone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
sounds like you had a headache. Generally before I order anything online I will call the place first and if I cant get ahold of anyone in a timely manner then they just dont get my business.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
$50 transfer fee.:eek:

I usually pay $15.00.
The last purchase was a group buy, 6 AR lowers paid $10 to transfer two lowers to me, $5 each.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I ordered a complete rifle and a lower. If the local shop thinks they are going to charge me $50 for each one, I will probably lose it. After all the aggravation and embarassment they caused by forgetting to send the FAX, they don't deserve $50, much less $100.

Update: the online dealer replied to my email and FFL FAX has been received and my stuff will ship tomorrow. I can get some sleep tonight.

Question? Does the FFL FAX have to be sent everytime when it is the same three parties (me, the same local shop, and the same online dealer)? The online dealer will keep the FFL copy on file, right?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Most of them keep the FFL copy on file. My FFL just gave me a copy of his, so when I want something I just fax it myself and have the place I'm buying from put a not that I'ts meant for me with my phone number. I then call the FFL the tell him to expect a package.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ive got a buddy that is a FFL he handles it all for me easy peasy Japanesey

place my order
he sends his FFL
he calls when it gets there
I go Pick it up when it comes in and pay him $1 for the transfer

He has a small stack of 4473 already filled out and signed for me.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I don't like ordering online so far, my first attempt went awful. Wouldn't accept the FFL because I e-mailed it to him, I had to mail him a "hardcopy", which was no more than me printing out the FFL that I had and sending it to him. Pain in the butt... Because of that I have steered clear of online purchasing and do FTF, whether with someone on a forum or at a shop.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I got fairly lucky in that the place online I ordered from already had my FFL on file. I imagine it could have gotten a bit trickier had that not been the case.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Going forward try to find someone local to you who has an FFL and uses it to make some extra cash doing transfers. I went through a shop for one purchase and had a bad experience as well. I found a great guy in my area who does transfers and did five or six more without a hitch.

The private FFL holders value the business more and will perform as if they want to continue to hear from you. My experience with shops is that they are not thrilled with online ordering, will charge you more, and act like they are doing you some big favor taking your money...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Find an online dealer who will answer the phone.
I think that one thing would have solved 99% of the issues. Also, that is WAY too much to pay for a transfer fee. However, keep that in mind for next time. It sounds like trying to find another dealer and change anything on this order would be more trouble than it would be worth.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Two things to make it simple.

1. Find a pawn shop to transfer to. They are cheaper.
2. Get a copy of the pawn shop's FFL and scan it. Then, you can email it to the seller while you are on the phone with him or her.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I purchased my XD45 Compact through Bud's Gun Shop. Great service, fast shipping and a smooth transaction. Luckily a local dealer had his FFL on file with them so I just had to tell my FFL to expect a package for me from Buds.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Ordred a CMMG AR online direct from CMMG. I had called the gunshop where I usually buy, set it up and put the fax and POC on the CMMG order. They took care of the paperwork, the gunshop called me that the AR was in, went in and that was it. Almost as easy as buying a weapon at the shop.....

Woof
Bowser

1 - 15 of 15 Posts