Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm wondering if this is a good deal.

$1200, never fired, for Rock River Entry Tactical [linky]. It seems reasonable to me, but I'm new to the AR game. It's local, so no shipping costs would be involved.

OR

For $1200, could I build a better AR by purchasing each part separately?

AND

With the Entry Tactial, is there any reason I couldn't add railed grips and all of the other cool accessories?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I bought my RRA Entry Tactical for $999 with a RRA free float quad rail already installed. Times are different though. I'd be willing to spend $1200 on a complete RRA rifle right now. All of the uppers are sold out and backordered for another 4-8 weeks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Depends on how patient you are. I'm not in a big hurry, so I decided to build mine. At the time I placed my order (3 weeks ago) I was looking at about 9 weeks to have evrything in.

I went with a CMMG complete lower, Stag 2H Upper, and a Magpul CTR Stock which will total $840 including shipping and transfer.

So if you have the time you can build one a lot cheaper than $1200.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Rock River arms is an excellent choice of brand. I own three and each consistently has excellent fit, tight tolerances, superb build quality, high quality parts, and crisp two stage match triggers.

Your model in question has a short carbine hand guard, tactical detachable rail/rear sight, Hogue rubber pistol grip, and standard RRA collapsing stock. Mid-length gas systems allow a better grip, longer sight radius, and lower peak gas pressures. The detachable rear sight/elevated rail is of questionable utility and a folding rear BUIS would be more versatile. The Hogue grip is best for large hands or for wearing gloves, as the finger grooves may be too far apart for some shooters. Like most factory sliders, the RRA stock will have some wobble.

I prefer a mid-length hand guard/gas system, a folding rear sight (GG&G 2008 improved model), standard pistol grip, Magpul CTR stock (anti-wobble clamp), and Magpul enhanced trigger guard.

RRA offers many options, so you should not have to settle for features you do not like.

I definitely believe in buying complete rifles/carbines rather than building with mix and match parts. I think there is some skill/craftsmanship involved in building AR's. You will get an expertly assembled, test fired, and quality checked weapon with a lifetime warranty. I don't understand the concept of buying a stripped lower now and building when one can afford the rest. If someone can't afford a complete weapon, how will they afford the ammo, mags, optics, tools, spare parts, and accessories that can easily double the cost of the owning rifle? Know what you are getting into and be aware of the other costs of owning and AR-15.

By the way, all RRA's carbines/rifles are test fired at the factory, so the gun in question HAS been fired. It is more important whether or not it is new or used. If used, you should have an expert check it out and make sure it has ALL of the included accessories: the plastic hard case, manual, warranty card, 30rd mag, yellow disassembly tool, lock, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You may have seen a thread that I posted the other day, but I built my first AR over the weekend. It is not a Rock River, but from what I am told Stag machines a lot of the RR parts.

I ended up getting the following, which includes a Samson free float front rails on a Stag 2HT upper, a Stag stripped lower, DPMS lower parts kit, and a DPMS stock. The cost was $830-ish. With the extra $370 that you save you could get a decent optic, or on your way towards a GREAT optic.

Wild Rice is correct about the stock wobble, and if I had known better I would not have gotten it. BUT, it will get me shooting NOW rather than LATER. I also agree that the pistol grip is too small, and I will be changing that first.

The build was very easy to do so long as you follow the build guide from arfcom.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You may have seen a thread that I posted the other day, but I built my first AR over the weekend. It is not a Rock River, but from what I am told Stag machines a lot of the RR parts.

I ended up getting the following, which includes a Samson free float front rails on a Stag 2HT upper, a Stag stripped lower, DPMS lower parts kit, and a DPMS stock. The cost was $830-ish. With the extra $370 that you save you could get a decent optic, or on your way towards a GREAT optic.

Wild Rice is correct about the stock wobble, and if I had known better I would not have gotten it. BUT, it will get me shooting NOW rather than LATER. I also agree that the pistol grip is too small, and I will be changing that first.

The build was very easy to do so long as you follow the build guide from arfcom.
Very nice.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
over a year ago I bought my Bushmaster for $750 from a local gunshop.
Dont think youll see those prices again. I would try to score an ar-15 from a forum. Forums usually have some pretty hot deals.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Some other people recommended Del-Ton, so I thought I would give them a try and ordered a few small parts. Nothing major, no lowers or uppers, just some minor AR furniture. However, these are things I need sooner rather than later. My order is now in Limbo, processing, beyond the edit/cancel phase, but showing no charge on my credit card. No email reply from Del-ton. I check their web site and they currently have a 8-16 week backlog on ALL orders, first come first served.

If you decide to order from Del-Ton, be aware that by the time they get around to your order (sometime this Spring if you are lucky), they will likely be out of stock, the new AWB will likely be in effect, and your AR-15 could be out of commission for months. If Del-Ton has so many orders and are making so much money, don't you think they could hire a few more stockers?

Mind you, these were just a few minor parts. God help you if you order anything major from Del-Ton like a complete upper or lower. If you do, I suggest you take up a winter sport such as ice fishing to take your mind off of waiting for your AR parts to arrive (come Spring).

I ordered the same parts from PK Firearms for the same price, and PK shipped them Priority Mail on the same day as my order.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the replies! I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Ok, I don't think I'll be able to get this complete rifle after all. Someone can get the money to the guy faster than I can.

That's ok though, building sounds like a good alternative!

So, I'm aware of a CMMG complete lower for sale. Any thoughts on those lowers?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I went with a CMMG lower if thats any help. And I've heard nothing but positive remarks around here about them.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
So, let's say you build an AR from various manufacturers parts.
How do you sell such a thing later on?

In the 1911 world, this would be called a 'parts gun' (spat out with disdain), and very hard to sell.

My neighbor's dad has a beautiful 1911 'parts gun' put together by a real gunsmith who knew what he was doing. While it's obvious the gun is from 3-4 different sources if you look, it shoots flawlessly in every way. It is accurate, perfectly reliable and has a great trigger. The highest offer I got for it was $300 and I'm not sure he was serious. Nobody else would so much as talk to me about it, and I offered to let them shoot it.

Are the home-built ARs different?
I have no idea, personally.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Frakenguns are fairly common in the AR world and not looked down on like in the 1911 world. So far I have kept my AR's matching but the new Stag that I built really needs a RRA NM 2 stage trigger.

Lowers are all pretty much the same and not as important as the upper. I personally like my upper and lower to match but would not rule out mixing it up if the deal was right.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again, thanks for all of the replies! You guys are very helpful.

I just got back. I'm now the proud owner of a complete (minus stock) CMMG lower.

I'm excited! I've wanted an AR15 since I was in my early teens.

Let the shopping begin!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you can find a CMMG gas piston complete upper to go with that CMMG lower, I would be envious. The CMMG gas piston conversion kit is available, but I have not been able to find a complete upper. I missed my chance at buying a complete factory assembled CMMG gas piston carbine at a gun show. By rearranging the rifles in my safe, I found room for one more. A CMMG gas piston would fit very nicely.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you can find a CMMG gas piston complete upper to go with that CMMG lower, I would be envious. The CMMG gas piston conversion kit is available, but I have not been able to find a complete upper. I missed my chance at buying a complete factory assembled CMMG gas piston carbine at a gun show. By rearranging the rifles in my safe, I found room for one more. A CMMG gas piston would fit very nicely.
My friend has a CMMG complete AR15 with gas piston . Thats every thing made by CMMG. FTF or shipped to ur FFL. NEVER USED.

Very nice AR15. I think he wants $1700 + sh. or FTF.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I dont' think its that hard Wild Rice. If you are mechanical at all, build. I am thorughly enjoying my two builds.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ar's arer easy to build but resale of "frankenguns" is not as strong as a factory gun. While many folks will buy a parts gun, most folks new to the platform will not - and although I understand the platform, I would not likely buy one either. I have no idea if the person who assembled that gun was a complete moron or not and most dealers will not want me to tear down the gun on their countertop to find out. That being said, I built my own because I enjoy it and don't care about resale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts