Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

So as i am tinkering around with my ak's i am finding i may want to mess around with an AR looking type of AK.

That got me thinking if you were gonna build that configuration which of the following would you do.

get aparts Kit and build it yourself

buy a saiga sporter and convert it then swap parts

Buy a stock wasr or pre converted ak and swap parts.

Just curious

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
In order of increasing difficulty:

1. WASR

2. Saiga

3. Parts Kit Build.

All 3 will go bang every time you pull the trigger, but the last two can leave you with a truly top-notch AK (depending on your donor kit and handiness with tools).

I will say that putting together an AK from a kit, while not unreasonable, is a great deal more work than assembling an AR from a naked lower... especially if you're using a virgin kit. Still, there is no better way to get an absolutely custom rifle. Oh, and if you decide to build, avoid the temptation of screw builds. I've heard that they don't last as long and rivets aren't that hard to learn.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Convert. Plenty of online support and a high "diy" pleasure. Plus it's a brand new rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
I would convert unless you want to spend a lot of money buying ak build tools or building them yourself. For one build I would not invest in the tools or building the tools yourself. I built a lot of my ak build tools, but it took a decent amount of time to machine them.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have built from a Romy "G" kit and converted a Saiga. The WASR can be hit or miss because of Century. When they "hit" they are great.

I haven't seen many kits around lately that sound like they are very good. Mine was essentially new and all matching for $180 but that was a couple of years ago. Unless you can find a good kit and want to invest in the tools needed to do a build, or hook up with someone who has the tools and will help - "build party", the Saiga conversion is the best way to go today. You get a brand new rifle made at the same plant that makes them for the Russian military. You can do the conversion with hand tools, though a drill press is very helpful.

CX

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i was looking at kits they are are more cash then buying a saiga sporter.

I got ppl that will help with the conversion if i go saiga or kit.

I just picked up an arsenal a few weeks ago i just cannot seem to get myself to convert it let alone do anything else to it past putting a hogue grip on it.

maybe i will pick up the saiga and go that route.

·
Registered
19,854 Posts
if you are looking for an AR-ish AK, I think there is a add-on to make a 223 Saiga (presumably others as well) use AR mags.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Saiga conversions really are much easier than most think.
If you've a Dremel, drill, a few other hand tools and your selected parts, you're GtG.
Not counting paint, a hour later you've a danged nice custom AK done ala Black Rifle.

I've done my Saiga12 & 7.62x39.

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
Another vote for a conversion. Mine's currently a work in progress, but I think it's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Saiga is the best way to go really.

If you don't want to drop the money on an arsenal (which is a dressed up saiga) it's the only way to get an authentic AK. You also have the option of going to a 308 that way.
I sure love mine. I polished and profiled all the internals to a mirror then blued it. I played with the trigger till I got it down to around 2 pounds with a long take up and a little indention before it breaks. Such an absolutely sweet and smooth gun to shoot, and it looks/feels totally factory built. Only cost me around $600 minus the scope, to build. (7 mags ended up denting the pocket book pretty badly though.) For touching up the bare metal after a conversion, I usually just blue it and as long as I don't have any issues I don't worry with paint. Some rattle can paint will take care of it if blueing isn't good enough.

It's really my trusty, do all, take-to-the-grave rifle.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually just got an arsenal a few weeks agi just not sure i can get myself to turn it into an AR looking rifle with the moe stock tri rail etc etc etc...

i did want to OD green the gun too lol..

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I actually just got an arsenal a few weeks agi just not sure i can get myself to turn it into an AR looking rifle with the moe stock tri rail etc etc etc...

i did want to OD green the gun too lol..
You can do it without any permanent alterations and return it to it's Arsenal configuration at any time.
And you can buy most parts in the OD Green.

AK adapter tube
M4 STYLE COLLAPSIBLE STOCK ADAPTER <B>"COMMERCIAL SIZE"</B> ALUMINUM TUBE CAA
MagPul CTR stock ODG
M4 STYLE STOCK MAGPUL CTR-<B>OD GREEN</B> <b>"Commercial Size" </b>
MagPul MIAD Grip ODG
GRIP-AR 15 MIAD GRIP-<B>OD GREEN</B>
MagPul Rail Covers ODG
MagPul XT Full Profile Picatinny Rail Cover 6-1/2" Polymer Textured - MidwayUSA
MI AK Quad rail
Midwest Industries: AK47/74 Handguard

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking going a tad more drastic.

I have an SBr "ar15" coming in 2 weeks that looks similar to the pic.. I also have an Saiga in od green.. I was going to get a Ak done in OD green and "ar tacticool it" as well.. just not sure if I should do it to the arsenal, or do a CAI wasr or get something else "saiga and convert it".

i know its kinda messed up matching guns lol just looking for something different and unique.

Current AK's

·
Registered
92 Posts
didnt see if its been mentioned, but Classicarms had some good prices on converted saigas. They still have the stock handguard but the rest of the gun is converted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts