Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently got back my Bushy piston upper from the gunsmith, after a length wait (pheasant season starts soon, and shotguns galore are being sent in.)

He warned me that the 4+ inch loss might incur problems, and I listened but wasn't really wary of it.

It proved true. Short stroking badly, every 2-3 rounds. The solution was simple, however, and included the purchase of a 1.39 (on sale ;) ) 1/2" poplar dowel rod, and disassembling the buffer.

After we tapped out the tension pin holding the buffer and rubber stop together, I removed one (initially, finally two) of the steel weights inside, and replaced them with poplar dowel spacers.

The results were flawless. One full magazine without failure, and a significantly lighter rifle.

Side note: the ambi charging handle finally gave out on me, on both sides even, and I ordered a replacement from Brownell's. This one is apparently from PHASE 5 TACTICAL. Quality unit, much less flimsy feeling than the one I had before, forward swept left catch and a solid 1/4" aluminum bar (with grip tape) for the right side. Much improved.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
The buffer weights are not typically very heavy, so it must have been just barely not cycling enough to begin with, and if that's all you did, I imagine that it's barely picking up the new round and not likely cycling fully now either. So beware of using light loads in it because you'll probably get into the same situation again with them.

Those buffer weights are actually more to prevent bolt bounce so the bolt will have a more positive lock when it moves fully forward. They work like a dead blow hammer.

Sounds to me, that enlarging the gas port to allow more pressure on the op rod would've been the next logical step than removing weight from an already light buffer.

A carbine buffer is only about 3 ounces (WITH) the dead blow weights. I don't see how removing a couple of weights out of it is going to make the gun "significantly" lighter.

I believe you may want to consider getting another gun smith.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Enlarge the gas hole.

I have a 10.5 Inch Gas piston (PWS) and run a 8.25 oz buffer with a wolf XP spring. You just put a bandaid on a bullet wound with your fix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts