Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can buy new Bushmasters for under 900.00 (new) many models.. I want a good defense rifle (but cannot afford to pay 1200-1300 for the top AR's).. is this a good price range... A-2 tatical hvy barrel mil specs 815.00 thru A-3 superlight shorty 879.00..Are these prices ok or should I look for a AK type..?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I can't say much about the typical Bushmaster models as the one I have, Bushmaster Varminter, is a high end model with top components (great barrel and trigger).

Brian

·
Registered
596 Posts
What makes you think that Bushmaster is not good enough to be considered by some to be "high end"? Just curious.

Almost every rifle manufacturer has some low end stuff, and some high end stuff. There are some small shops that only put out very high end stuff, there are some that only put out low or middle ground guns. I have a bushmaster, and bought it new after considering everything I had heard about them from people that actually owned them. I have no regrets. I won't bother to try to pigeon hole them into the low, mid, or high end gear/price point, I am simply pleased with what I have, and I would have no trouble with purchasing another product from them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
So I have a couple of Bushmaster lowers and the lowers are fine. And for a home defense carbine, a bushmaster is probably just fine. But for a hard use, serious abuse carbine, they are wanting. I have NEVER had one make it through a 1000 round rifle course without jamming. Here are some issues of the top of my head:

Receiver extension: odd diameter
No staked castle nut
No finish under FSB
No M4 feed ramps
1:9 twist barrel/ not 1:7 - personal preference
MPI barrel testing - batch only
Pressure test - batch only
MPI BOlt - batch only
Pressure Test Bolt - batch only
shot peened bolt = nope
Properly staked gas key : nope - this is critical.
staked castle nut: no.
warranty: 1 year. pretty lame...

Again for light use, its likely going to be just fine. But there are other, better options, for the same type money.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I own two Bushmaster uppers. Both have M4 feedramps and both are 1/7 twist barrels. One is on a Spike's lower the other is on a Rock River lower. Both have RRA lower parts and Magpul stocks. I opted to buy BCM bolt and carrier groups for them and both have functioned flawlessly for thousands of rounds and two classes.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I own two Bushmaster uppers. Both have M4 feedramps and both are 1/7 twist barrels. One is on a Spike's lower the other is on a Rock River lower. Both have RRA lower parts and Magpul stocks. I opted to buy BCM bolt and carrier groups for them and both have functioned flawlessly for thousands of rounds and two classes.

I also have a 1:7 Bushmaster barrel. I don't understand why they don't offer the 1:9/1:7 twist as a buyer option on their website. I know you can call and specify when you want to place an order, but that just seems to negate the point of online shopping.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I can buy new Bushmasters for under 900.00 (new) many models.. I want a good defense rifle (but cannot afford to pay 1200-1300 for the top AR's).. is this a good price range... A-2 tatical hvy barrel mil specs 815.00 thru A-3 superlight shorty 879.00..Are these prices ok or should I look for a AK type..?

I suppose that if money was tight, you could also consider getting a good shotgun instead. Usually just the sound of a round being racked into the chamber is enough to frighten people.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
what are you planning to do with it the above list is really kinda pointless is who cares if the castle nut is staked properly torqued nuts will not come loose staked bolts again who cares it can be properly staked with a punch and ballpene hammer, m4 feedramps while it doesn't hurt to have them as really not needed, barrel twist could be important depending on what weight bullet you are planning on shooting, parkerised under FSB again who cares unless you plan on doing some scuba diving with your rifle

If your planning on range duty and light home defense the bushmaster will be just fine just be sure to keep it clean

You might also consider building one you can order a complete stag lower for $250 and a complete stag upper for $489 for a total of $765 including shipping and ffl and you will have a weapon that will serve you just as well as the bushmaster then you can spend the extra $$$ on accessories or ammo

Fwiw I just bought a nib M&P 15 for $850 which included YHM drop in rails, RRA dominator sight/EoTech riser, carry handle, 5 Pmags, tactical carry bag YHM BUIS there are deals to be had you just hsve to look for them

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have NEVER had one make it through a 1000 round rifle course without jamming.
This statement is pretty meaningless without more info (how many different examples of bushmaster rifles you've seen, were they modified in any way, were they oiled at any point during use, was the ammo crap or good clean factory ammo, did you only notice the ones that crapped out, or were there BM rifles that made it through and these were not noticed by you because they had no problems, etc., etc.)

My Bushmaster, unmodified in any way, has thousands of rounds through it, from all kinds of manufacturers, many handloads, and hasn't been cleaned in about a year. No short stroking, jamming, or malfunctions of any kind. I guess this means that since I have had no problems, your experience may not matter?;)

I've had a number of different brands of cars crap out on me at some point, that certainly does not mean that every example, or each particular manufacturer, sucks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You're absolutely right. I didn't provide all that information as I don't generally try and write a novella. As I said before, for a light duty carbine, home defense, light personal use, it will likely run just fine. Your Bushmaster runs great. Thats awesome. As I said before, they will likely work for the original poster too. The question was asked why are they not considered a topflight manufacturer. I responded with mostly accurate information. I readily acknowledge where I was in error. Shot peened bolts, properly staked gas keys, MPI bolts, Pressure tested bolts... are the halmarks of top flight manufacturers. Bushmaster does not do that. If you don't think they're needed, that is fine. Its your rifle. Passing on those tests/features makes them "less then" in my opinion and in the opinions of people who will forget more about ARs then I'll ever know.
The courses we teach are patrol rifle courses in Yakima Washington. The Federal training center and private ranges are covered in a very fine volcanic ash. The environment eats gear. The only thing that runs without fail are Aks. Ars quit, Glocks quit, FALs (near and dear to my heart) quite. Springfield XDs quit. We run a hot range and work the gear hard. I mean smoking hot hanguards, burnt hands, smoke billowing out of over oiled AK wood. Cuts and bruises. Again most people won't run an AR that hard. Most people won't shoot in a year what we will shoot in a day (halfway through the first day we do a 90 round drill that takes a couple of minutes). The ARs that run best, in my experience are Colts, and other mil spec guns. Bushmasters tend to fair less well. I'd say i've seen dozens of rifles in these courses and I get a sense of what works and what doesn't. I will say that the key to keeping an AR running is to 1) keep a magazine in it at all times and 2) keep the action cover closed at all times that you are not shooting. I use an AK most of the time, so I don't have those issues.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I will say that the key to keeping an AR running is to 1) keep a magazine in it at all times and 2) keep the action cover closed at all times that you are not shooting.
How about a little oil now and then: Worth it, or if the gun is gonna stop functioning, oiling the bolt will only prolong the time a little until it chokes, which means that there is another issue that should be dealt with?

I use an AK most of the time, so I don't have those issues.
There is a reason AK's are all over desert nations and is the preferred weapon in poor nations. (think middle east).

(You didn't write a damn novel, but it is good info, thanks for taking the time to type it out.)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't own a Bushmaster AR, but I have shot a couple of them. I don't think they're any better or worse than ARs from the other major AR manufacturers. I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P15 for my first, and have absolutely no regrets with it. I took it out to the range yesterday to try her out, and it functioned flawlessly through the 80 rounds I put in it. Accuracy exceeded my expectations, and I never once touched the sights.

I'm confident a Bushmaster will serve you well for years to come!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been looking at a Bushmaster Predator with the 2 stage trigger, and 20 inch barrell, .223 .. Price $1195. - Is this one of the better Bush rifles? Is the price too high? How availble is 223 ammo?

Looking for some confirmation on the purchase. Is this a good deal or not?

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Bushmasters are decent. I'd go with the A3 flattop instead of the fixed carry handle A2.
+1 I had a BushMaster and loved it. I shot the heck out of it. No jams, ftf or any problems at all.

I would go for the flat top.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have a XM15-E2S 20" hbar. It's a '99 model, runs great. I re-staked the gas key with a cold chisel. Its an A2 version, my first Ar. I'd rather have the flat-top model, but my friend gave me a good price.
Did some upgrades, all in all, a solid weapon.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Frank White builds Bushmasters for the USMC rifle team. Chances are, Frank knows a lot more about ARs than the naysayer wise guys on this forum. I have a Bushy Shorty that's shot some 1/2", five-shot groups @ 100 yds. It NEVER fails, and I've fired several thousand rounds through it. If you properly lube it with Mobile 1, it'll shoot more than 1000 rounds without relubing.

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Its funny. You ask the instructors who see and run various rifles through rigorous shooting sessions, and they all say the same thing. Usually the Bushmasters, DPMS's etc have a difficult time.

Then, you have Willy The Weekend Warrior post that " my DPMS runs as smooth as wet marbles! ". Hmmmm, who would YOU tend to believe?

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here. It just seems that EVERY " looking/wanting/just bought an AR " post turns into a pissing match.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts