Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, this is AR Talk, so I'm gonna post my AR range report here. Finally made it out to the range today to check out the Bushmaster and get it sighted in.

I brought the Primary Arms MD-FBGII red dot sight along so I could mount it and get it zeroed.

But first, I needed to get the iron sights zeroed. It was already mechanically zeroed at the factory, and right out of the box, my first 3 shots at 25 yards were right on. No adjustments necessary.

So, I took the carrying handle off and mounted the red dot with a UTG medium height base. Easy peasy. It was pretty far off and it took a bunch of shots before I finally even found the paper.

Found the paper

While I was waiting for a slot to open on the 100 yard range, I kept practicing at 25 yards with Independence 5.56. Hmm, looking pretty good. 20 rounds. 5 flyers were the shooter's fault, I'm sure.

AT 100 yards, POI was about 6 inches high. One thing for sure, even a 2 MOA red dot is not so good for shooting at that range. At least for me, I don't know. Anyhow, I was aiming 6 inches low at this target and managed to get some holes in it.

Overall, I am happy with this rifle. It appears to be more accurate than I am. Next time, I'm going to mount a Weaver K4 on it and see if I can do better at 100 yards.

I did have one malfunction out of 180 rounds. It was a failure to feed at round #120 or so. The bolt failed to pick up a round and send it to the chamber.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Thanks for the report. I have been waiting and I am glad you are liking it.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Not too shabby!! Looks like you did good!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Excellent!

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
good job, but do work on your trigger finger.

reference:

FM3-22.9 Apx A

Dime (Washer) Exercise. This dry-fire technique is used to teach or evaluate the skill of trigger squeeze and is effective when conducted from an unsupported position. When using the M16A1 rifle for this exercise, the soldier must cock the weapon, assume an unsupported firing position, and aim at the target. An assistant places a dime (washer) on the rifle's barrel between the flash suppressor and front sight post assembly. The soldier then tries to squeeze the trigger naturally without causing the dime (washer) to fall off. Several repetitions of this exercise must be conducted to determine if the soldier has problems with trigger squeeze. The purpose of the exercise is for the firer to dry-fire six of six consecutive shots without causing the dime or washer to fall. (Repeat this exercise from the prone unsupported firing position.)

(a) If the dime (washer) is allowed to touch the sight assembly or flash suppressor, it may fall off due to the jolt of the hammer. Also, the strength of the hammer spring on some rifles can make this a difficult exercise to perform.

(b) When using the M16A2 rifle, the dime (washer) exercise is conducted the same except that a locally fabricated device must be attached to the weapon. A piece of 3/4-inch bonding material is folded into a clothes-pin shape and inserted in the flash suppressor of the weapon so the dime (washer) can be placed on top of it.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I can't wait to shoot it some more. I hate sitting on a bench at a rifle range tho. Fortunately, I have 125 acres of farm land and pasture where I can give it a good work out. It's a 95 mile drive to get there tho. My BIL and I will probably head out there when I go down for Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As you know I also am new to ARs and have a Bushmaster also. Mine was optics ready so all my shooting has been with a scope. You will really enjoy shooting 100yds with a scope. I have a 3x12 on her at the present while I am working up a load. I have a 1x4.5 coming my way once I determine the best powder, primer, and bullet.

Lead Foot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts