Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bushmaster® Carbon 15 Semiautomatic Tactical Rifles with Red-Dot Sights

I happened to be at Cabela's in Marysville, WA (about 35 miles north of Seattle, WA) today. They currently have this rifle on sale for $559 + tax
I'm thinking about taking the plunge into the AR world and getting one myself. One question that I have had is there were some problems I guess with the generation 1 & 2 models. What is the current generation model they are selling and how can I tell the difference? I don't really want to spend the money only to find out I'm buying old stock that they're trying to unload. Anyone else have experience with this rifle? I know the red dot sight isn't the greatest and will probably upgrade that later on.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Agreed. I would not buy the carbon 15. I have seen them blow up on people at ranges. spend a few extra dollars and get a quality rifle

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have an xm15 and love it. People will hate on them for no reason there great rifles and they dont blow up on you or they wouldnt still be selling rifles.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Polymer Lowers have a documented history of failure...you get what you pay for...

I have 2 rifles in the works right now, both with billet lowers, getting in under $600 apiece...its entirely possible without cheaping out on the most critical component...you could pick one up and swap the lower out...but still cheaper to build

I have an xm15 and love it. People will hate on them for no reason there great rifles and they dont blow up on you or they wouldnt still be selling rifles.
They aren't "great" rifles...mediocre at best...documented history of failures and problems...don't gloss it over just because you own one example that happens to run...I know a ton of people who swear Hi-Points aren't garbage too...and don't believe a word they have to say either

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I can buy an MP15 sport for same price at my local gun store and it is a better rifle

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
127,988 Posts
As an FFL dealer and long time shooter, I strongly recommend that you take a pass on the Carbon 15. There are much better ARs out there for the money.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The Bushmaster name is not what it used to be. Not the same company that it used to be. Plus, it is a polymer AR. You could literally build a rifle for cheaper and then modify as you see fit.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Looks like I'll take a pass on this one. I'll take a look at PSA and see what all they have that will fit into my budget.

I've also heard some good things about Daniel Defense & BCM.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had one...it was my first AR. I had no issues what so ever with mine, kept it at least three years! It had maybe 2000 rounds through it.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Looks like I'll take a pass on this one. I'll take a look at PSA and see what all they have that will fit into my budget.

DD and BCM are top of the line. You'd be hard pressed to find to find any negative comments regarding either one. As others have stated, you can build a pretty nice rifle using PSA. If you want an off the shelf rifle (that's a bit cheaper than DD and BCM) you might want to take a look at Colt. You can pick up a Colt 6920 for right about $950 or so. Haven't priced them lately, but last time I checked they were in that neighborhood.

I believe BCM is still having their promotion where you get a free BCG when you buy an upper. Killer deal if you ask me.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

Well DD and BCM are you going to run you a bit more. The DD a bit more than the BCM. But they are both pretty equivalent. But your lower you can go a bit cheaper with a PSA or equivalent. Build your lower, then throw a quality upper on top. The PSA with the FN barrel is the way to go for the cheapest.
The BCM is a better bet. Nothing wrong with the PSA (they're fantastic), but the BCM will have a noticeable step up in quality. Plus, realistically you will use a BCM BCG. And no other company can come close to the BCM gunfighter charging handles. They are incredible.
For the record, I own a factory DD rifle, multiple BCM builds, and multiple PSA builds. But i did lose them all in a boating accident ;)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well said AZ.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Isn't that xm15 different than a carbon? The lower in the carbon is, well, carbon where as you have a true aluminum lower if I'm not mistaken...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bushmaster® Carbon 15 Semiautomatic Tactical Rifles with Red-Dot Sights

I happened to be at Cabela's in Marysville, WA (about 35 miles north of Seattle, WA) today. They currently have this rifle on sale for $559 + tax
I'm thinking about taking the plunge into the AR world and getting one myself. One question that I have had is there were some problems I guess with the generation 1 & 2 models. What is the current generation model they are selling and how can I tell the difference? I don't really want to spend the money only to find out I'm buying old stock that they're trying to unload. Anyone else have experience with this rifle? I know the red dot sight isn't the greatest and will probably upgrade that later on.
If you want an AR in that price range, I'd suggest the S&W M&P Sport which can be purchased for under $600. It is a fine weapon. Do some homework and you'll realize what I am talking about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take it from a person who bought one... Save up for a better AR. The Bushmaster Carbon 15 has some SERIOUS design flaws. Not too say it isn't a good starter gun, but like someone else stated, the S&W M&P Sport is around the same price and is much better in quality.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
you can get a Blem Adams Arms from Bud's for like $50 more....that's what I did....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts