Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after probably close to 20 years, my Kershaw Blur knife went missing..... I think dropped at McDonalds. Not even going to try to go back to ask, that got snagged fast I bet.

Anyway, back on the market, probably going to get another of the same .... but those prices are up a lot, and maybe it's time for a change. I have a nice little Cold Steel Nano tanto which is nice for a very concealable / very easy to pocket knife... but Nano definitely describes it....

What are you guys carrying? I don't want to spend a ba-zillion $$ on an edc knife that may get broken or lost again. Anyone use any of the Smith & Wesson knives? (They look ok, but gimmicky I think.... you guys may know more). Cold Steel is always good... CRKT..... SpiderCo. ...... throw out some ideas! Thanks.

Will mourn the loss of my trusty Blur and do some shopping.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.... IT'S FOUND!!! .... didn't drop it or lose it at McD's...... am a happy camper..... but, the question remains.... time to look for a backup in case. I had a Kershaw Leek that was ok (lost that one somehow).

Reactions: Trapperjohn1975

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
What are you looking to spend?

I had a crkt for quite awhile, until the handle cracked at one of the clip attachment points. I now have a bench made griptilian I use as a work knife, and a bug out as a nice/street clothes knife. They both have m4 blades, which drove the cost of the griptilian to like 180 I think, along with some extra black stuff on it. With the buyout I went real nice, and titanium handle and other fancy stuff, think it was around 300.

I will say the m4 has survived much better than the blade I had on the crkt, which may have been s30? So in my opinion, that’s worth the extra 50 or so benchmade charges for the better steel. Don’t know how often and what you use it for as well, but that’s something to consider.

Also, both of these are noticeably lighter than the crkt, and they have similar blade lengths/configurations. I also prefer the benchmade axis lock over a liner lock, a problem I didn’t know I had until it got fixed, and now I don’t know if I’ll go back. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Update.... IT'S FOUND!!! .... didn't drop it or lose it at McD's...... am a happy camper..... but, the question remains.... time to look for a backup in case. I had a Kershaw Leek that was ok (lost that one somehow).
Damn, ninja post while I was typing a book. Glad ya found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks..... I am on the hunt, as Acheron says... better to have a spare if/ when needed. Looking at the Benchmade... ouch... but great quality.

For use, it is primarily just ... everything, (except not as a screw driver or a lever!!)..... open boxes, cut lines, etc, etc..... with a side option of self defense if needed. - Will hunt the Blur again, and some others. Appreciate the fast response guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks..... I am on the hunt, as Acheron says... better to have a spare if/ when needed. Looking at the Benchmade... ouch... but great quality.

For use, it is primarily just ... everything, (except not as a screw driver or a lever!!)..... open boxes, cut lines, etc, etc..... with a side option of self defense if needed. - Will hunt the Blur again, and some others. Appreciate the fast response guys!
Can't go wrong with a Griptillian.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to take my time hunting..... saw the CRKT - M16 versions... look interesting. Anyone carry those?

Also, Smith & Wesson has an M&P kife line with various blade types..... looks gimmicky though..... Thoughts on those. (I know, lower end knife, but for edc, really hate to think about loosing a $150+ knife).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have one of the M&P knives. Cheap as hell. Blade got dull really quick. The spring assist to open is sticky now and the blade opens about halfway and stops, then I have to open it manually the rest of the way. The clip is tiny and the grip is unnecessarily thick. Save your money for something better.

For daily carry use, I like the RAT folders. They have two sizes, several grip colors and blade colors and serrated/non-serrated. I just carry a tan, satin finish, plain edge RAT 2 (smaller version) or if I'm hunting or out in the woods, a bright orange RAT 1. I think it's a great knife for the 40-50 price range. If I lose one, not a huge loss.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one of the M&P knives. Cheap as hell. Blade got dull really quick. The spring assist to open is sticky now and the blade opens about halfway and stops, then I have to open it manually the rest of the way. The clip is tiny and the grip is unnecessarily thick. Save your money for something better.

For daily carry use, I like the RAT folders. They have two sizes, several grip colors and blade colors and serrated/non-serrated. I just carry a tan, satin finish, plain edge RAT 2 (smaller version) or if I'm hunting or out in the woods, a bright orange RAT 1. I think it's a great knife for the 40-50 price range. If I lose one, not a huge loss.
Thanks... will check the RAT out. Really appreciate the feedback on the M&P..... never heard anyone rant about just how great a knife they make soooooo.... Will pass on that one.

·
Administrator
17,505 Posts
Well, I had a Chris Reves Inkosi (sebenza) I lost. First and only knife I ever lost. Waited for a year hoping it would turn up... Nope. That hurt.

Other than that, I don't know your pain... I have 5... Well 6 knives I carry regularly. I always have two on me... I have two hands. 😉 One for use, one for "other". I love all of them. I don't need more, but I don't want less. 😅

I don't have spyderco, but I get their appeal. Benchmade has a bazillion I would use. Carried (still have) a griptilian for a long time. In a certain price range, there just isn't much difference, they are all the same. Find one that appears to you. Get 4 blurs.

With all my good knives, and all their exotic steel SV30/35 really is about the best all round knife steel out. 135 is certainly capable, but 30/35 would always be lowest I would go. Plenty available and reasonably priced. Yes, M4/M390/204p/20CV...really is all that. Hard to sharpen, but you do a lot less of it... But it's more expensive and not necessary. For me... I usually carry a Microtech SOCOM and LUDT. I would like 2 or 3 more pairs if they were available.

Dude... You can never have too many knives. And yes, Kershaw has many great and affordable knives... You need more. 😁

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Decision made.... love my Blur... going for another.. this one a "drop point" tiger stripe blade instead of my tanto....... price won't kill me if lost... does what I need... holds an edge ok..... why fix it if not broken.

Reactions: Powerman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts