Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new xd 45 tactical. I've researched and found out that this gun apparently doesn't like swc but that this issue was resolved with the XDm. I've also checked my slide as some have suggested saying that the newer XD's were corrected? Any info on this? Also, are the fixed sights calibrated for 230 grain? Are fp/tc ok? I'm looking for opinions as to which bullets are reliable and most accurate in this gun. I don't have much semi-auto experience, mostly revolver.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My xd eats anything I put in it, as for rounds, pretty much whatever you shoot the best. Try a few dif and see what u like the best, most 45 has 230 grains, with the exception of a few, mostly defense rounds,

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
My xd Tac will not reliably feed most LSWC. No big deal, I just feed it tcfp or RN.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Polish the hell out of your feed ramp. I use a Dremmel & Flitz ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My XD Tactical .45 feeds everything I've tried. I mostly shoot home cast lead, either 230 RN, 230 TC, or 200 RNFP. I use 230 gr HST's for defense. The 45 Tactical doesn't care what it eats. I have not yet tried the SWC, but I don't use the SWC in any of my .45's. I'll have to try it and see what happens. Nothing I've previously tried has given any trouble in my XD Tac.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
If you are going to carry the gun you need to shoot it a lot before you do. While doing so find out what YOUR gun likes, not what the Internet says your gun likes.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
My XD Tactical .45 feeds everything I've tried. I mostly shoot home cast lead, either 230 RN, 230 TC, or 200 RNFP. I use 230 gr HST's for defense. The 45 Tactical doesn't care what it eats. I have not yet tried the SWC, but I don't use the SWC in any of my .45's. I'll have to try it and see what happens. Nothing I've previously tried has given any trouble in my XD Tac.
Then you don't really know if it will feed everything. Mine will feed 200grlswc about 80%, not good enough for anything but plinking. 100% w/ any jhp, LRN or ltc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a penetration man (hmmm... That doesn't sound right, does it?)
I go with 230 gr RN, classic ball.
Failures to feed? No.
The few HP rounds tried have given no problems.
But I just stoke it with the tried and true ball and move on.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My XD(M) is dead on target with 230gr, which substantially all target ammo is. All it's ever been fed is 230gr hard ball, which should be the most reliable in ANY .45 period -- and what fixed sights should be calibrated for.

SWC is most likely going to be used in competition. As for hollow points, I don't know. Never tried them. My XD(M) is a range toy, so it's never been fed any HPs. Even if it was a home defense gun, I'm not sure if I'd load it with any fancy HPs when there is much debate as to whether or not they're even needed with a .45 that's already so big.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My XD(M) is dead on target with 230gr, which substantially all target ammo is. All it's ever been fed is 230gr hard ball, which should be the most reliable in ANY .45 period -- and what fixed sights should be calibrated for.

SWC is most likely going to be used in competition. As for hollow points, I don't know. Never tried them. My XD(M) is a range toy, so it's never been fed any HPs. Even if it was a home defense gun, I'm not sure if I'd load it with any fancy HPs when there is much debate as to whether or not they're even needed with a .45 that's already so big.
I wouldn't carry ball/fmj in anything larger than .380 Doing so reallly takes a risk on over penetration and making it more dangerous for others that the bullet wasn't intended for.

To the OP. In all honesty, i do not shoot well enough for the different weight bullets to shoot any different than each other. At 25yrds and under its all the same for me with what i have tried.

But every gun is different. If you got a range buddy that shoots the came cal as you but a different brand, try swapping a box or two just to see how it turns out with other loads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1. I wouldn't carry ball/fmj in anything larger than .380 Doing so reallly takes a risk on over penetration and making it more dangerous for others that the bullet wasn't intended for.

2. To the OP. In all honesty, i do not shoot well enough for the different weight bullets to shoot any different than each other. At 25yrds and under its all the same for me with what i have tried.
As to point one, I can't argue the case against over penetration. At the same time, I fly in the face of most pundits and welcome the possibility.

How many studies have been done supporting penetration as primary factor in a bullets effectiveness?
I go with that. Here I'm referring to recorded shootings and what would be considered military effectiveness.
It also helps that the standard loading, 230gr RN @800 fps, remains one of the most effective handgun rounds in existence. It's relatively inexpensive, too. It's that "total package" I'm liking.

I don't carry the XD in public, so it's not something I worry about in that regard. It is in rotation as house gun, however. But it's just me and my wife - I know where she is in the event it's needed. Should a bullet go through a few walls (hopefully after perforating an offender), well....I know how to patch drywall.

I don't care about a bullet exiting to the exterior, either, as I live rather far out in the country.

I do carry around the property, though, and tolerate the possibility of over penetration there. In short, I don't have much to hit should my shot miss or puncture through.

But you've given food for thought. There may be new data the suggests more effective rounds exist. I haven't checked in a few years. But for over a century the standard round has done the job. I can go with that.

2. Very good point as to accuracy. Within the boundaries of a residence, or a self defense application, intrinsic accuracy is my least concern.
If I'm shooting farther than 30 yards, well... should be getting to cover and reviewing my tactics.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Should a bullet go through a few walls (hopefully after perforating an offender), well....I know how to patch drywall.
It also means a bad guy in a gun fight who thinks he's safe hiding behind a wall isn't safe at all as you can blast right through them if need be.

In FBI tests they have all sorts of barriers a bullet must penetrate. One never knows what might be encountered under real world circumstances.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
In FBI tests they have all sorts of barriers a bullet must penetrate. One never knows what might be encountered under real world circumstances.
Really? What barriers do the bullets have to penetrate for FBI standards, exactly?

Using FMJ for defensive purposes isn't smart at all.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Never said "everything". I said "everything I tried" ! Please read all the way through!
I did, you said the xd "doesn't care what it eats". I am only pointing out you don't know that since you admittedly haven't tried everything. Just keeping it real.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts