Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made a small error with some new dies and it has caused me to pull about 300 rounds apart. I have an impact/momentum bullet puller but it takes a decent effort to use that and pull them out. Anyone have different methods that might be a little more....efficient?

On a seperate note, with the right crimp, how many slams should it take to dislodge a 9mm round? It's taking me quite a few. Enough that I'm pretty tired after 10 rounds.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
So I made a small error with some new dies and it has caused me to pull about 300 rounds apart. I have an impact/momentum bullet puller but it takes a decent effort to use that and pull them out. Anyone have different methods that might be a little more....efficient?

On a seperate note, with the right crimp, how many slams should it take to dislodge a 9mm round? It's taking me quite a few. Enough that I'm pretty tired after 10 rounds.
That sounds about right. There are other bullet pullers, I believe one can be mounted in the press. Google it and you should find something.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I have done that. I hammer it onto the concrete floor though, it doesn't take that much effort. Hell, I might have to slam it twice. I do make a full swing and not just tap it out. In doing this big correction, I learned that I was using the wrong aluminum jaw in my puller. The one without the rib is much easier to insert the bullet and to remove the brass. I put a small wire sifter (stole it from the wife's kitchen) over a glass jar and dumped the separated bullet brass and powder into the sifter. This made it easier to retrieve the brass and bullet without a tedious effort. Yeah, it's boring to have to do, and especially if you're beating yourself up with every slam of the impact puller. Try to find something positive in it, it is adversity that we grow...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The impact puller is still likely your best option. Yes...it takes some elbow grease to operate, but if you are hitting the mallet on a hard surface (concrete, etc.), one or two good "whacks" on the concrete at most should do it. It does take more than a subtle "thump" for the impact pullers to do their job, so don't be shy about hitting it.

As for having to do 300 rounds...well, that which does not kill us only makes us stronger! ;) Seriously, this will help to remind you to check, re-check and re-re-check your reloading setup before cranking out 300 rounds and reinforce the point that there are no small errors when it comes to reloading.

If you are completely set on needing a collet-type puller instead of the impact puller, they are available at every major reloading outlet. Try this one at Midway:

MidwayUSA - RCBS Collet Bullet Puller

I will tell you that these are only a little "faster" in terms of taking reloaded rounds apart. All they really do is take some of the leg work (or arm work) out of the process. Instead of swinging a hammer, you are just pulling a handle. You simply screw the bullet puller into your press as you would any other die. The handle you see in the picture is threaded on the end that is in the die. You screw this die into the proper collet. Insert your bullet into the case holder on your press ram. Run the loaded case up to the bottom of the die and insert the bullet into the collet. Tighten the handle on top of the die which draws the collet up into the die which tightens the collet around the bullet. Once tight you simply reverse the process and the bullet it undamaged in the collet.Still a slow and tedious process. Also, the collet pullers are around $20 or so depending on the model and each caliber bullet you are pulling requires a different collet which will be another $10-12.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I have an impact puller and while it works as advertised, it can make a mess of the powder and bullet as it comes out of the case.

Further, and this is just me, there's something about hammering a loaded round....

So I bought the Hornady puller, the one you put into a press and clamp the bullet and use the press to pull it out. It works exceptionally well, and is quite a bit faster (if you have to do a lot) than the impact puller. The price isn't bad, and it works easily and well.

MidwayUSA - Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller

You have to buy the collets for individual calibers, but it's a good solution. There are others which work the same way.

I'd buy it again. I keep my impact puller for the times when I want to pull a bullet from a non-charged case, such as when I'm setting seating depth on an empty case before a production run.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Wow, 300!:oops: I've pulled down 50rds of milspec 308 once, all w/ a inertia puller. Since then, I use it once & awhile, bad primer, etc. so it works fine. The collet pullet is less work as ORD said, but if you only have to do 1-2rds, a PITA to set up. A tip for the inertia pullers. I put a foam ear plug into the bottom of the puller & leave it there. Use a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on the concrete & two whacks will pull most rounds, regardless of crimp. The foam plug keeps the bullet nose from deforming. Then I just dump everything into a plastic bowl & separate when I am all done.

·
Banned
284 Posts
make sure to use a concrete floor..

i've found that a few light raps is all that is needed for handgun ammo using my Frankford Arsenal puller - you don't have to bang on it like you're nailing a 2x4 together.

after you do a few you'll get into a rythm

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I screwed a wide metal L bracket onto the corner of my wood reloading bench...kinda hard to work the hammer puller against the carpet in my office.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I decapped about 200 rounds with a hammer from Dillon, like stated it's a PITA but had to be done, long story but pay attention when you reload it's when I first started and I have not made that mistake since but it would have been real bad for me if I had not

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW!, I used the concrete floor instead of the wood block. I initially used the wood block for fear of shattering the puller. But I used the concrete floor and it only two 2 swings on the bullets that were stubborn.

Lesson learned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts