Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know it is a stupid question but what causes the darkeningof the bullet jacket, and how much of a issue is this when it comes to the ammoshelf life

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
No worries, unless verdigris (green clumps) starts to form on the jacket then you will need to polish it off, it can and will cause chambering problems.

All brass and copper tarnishes with time. It's the outside that is effected. Powder and primer integrity is good to go. Just as you buy and shoot ammo rotate your stock. If your stock piling get some dehumidifiers I like the ones made from clay.And store in metal ammo cans.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just an oxide layer, won't screw anything up. It's just like you get with pennies or water pipes. If you leave fingerprints on them, they'll actually "develop" from the oxidation. Verdigris actually takes some chemical action, like being out in the weather. Look at the Statue of Liberty. That's what that is, mostly from sea air. She was covered with a skin of sheet copper.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Not to worry, in the infamous words of Troy Landry. "Chootem, Chootem"

·
Registered
64 Posts
No worries, unless verdigris (green clumps) starts to form on the jacket then you will need to polish it off, it can and will cause chambering problems.

All brass and copper tarnishes with time. It's the outside that is effected. Powder and primer integrity is good to go. Just as you buy and shoot ammo rotate your stock. If your stock piling get some dehumidifiers I like the ones made from clay.And store in metal ammo cans.
I was actually wondering how people stockpiled ammo for long periods of time. Isn't the shelf life of ammo approx. 5 years? (Thats what I heard)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I was actually wondering how people stockpiled ammo for long periods of time. Isn't the shelf life of ammo approx. 5 years? (Thats what I heard)
I've shot mil surp from the 40's.. Temperature swings can degrade powder in the cans, But in the cartridge I've never had it happen since it's an air tight environment. However, I store my ammo in a cool dry place in ammo cans with clay packs. For my reloads I use to religiously dab on a bit of sealer on the primer and where bullet meets case mouth,not so much now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts