Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to thank everyone for helping me with my reloading questions and all of my others. I finally ordered my reloading press kit yesterday from my local reloading shop; they didn't have any in 40cal. stocked.

Anyways whenever it came time to buying the actual bullets he suggested casting my own. I asked him if this is something I would decide on doing, where would I get the raw materials? Thinking I had to me some type of metalergist. Believe it or not, he told me that he used wheel weights from his buddies shop. He is also a part time police office, so I wouldn't see why he would like to me.

So my questions are...

What materials do you guys use to cast your ammunition?

If you do use wheel weights, do you have to clean them before melting, due to being oily and dirty.

What else do you need other than the melter and cast?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
R/T Performance said:
Can you really save that much money?personaly I like jacketed and plated bullets and at 13 bucks for 250 why piss with it? :shock:
RT: You have a point. There's probably not much savings, especially if you factor your time as being worth anything. But, it's fun playing with fire, melting stuff, pouring molten lead into a mold and watching your new creation fall out of the molds. It also makes you feel somewhat self sufficient to be able to come up with bullets whenever needed. You have to weigh all of the fun you can have against the dangers of lead vapors and playing with molten metal.

WyoBob

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I see said the blind man :lol:
My father was Latvian so every new years we made lead castings.
It was alot of fun in the summer we would dig lead out of the back stop at the range. and take a cast iron lattle and put it in the wood stove then pore into a five gallon bucket of water.Was pretty cool and the Dad would tell us our fortune for the year until He seen somthing bad once never did it agian .My mothers friend got cancer that year

·
Registered
532 Posts
I cast for all my handguns and rifles and there is a BIG savings casting your own.

here locally I pay .10 a lb for wheel weights and 10 years back I bought 400 lb's of linotype at .25 a lb.I use a mix of 9 lb of wheel weights to 1 lb of linotype.makes a pretty hard bullet.this alloy at 1200 fps out of my 357 mag,41 mag with little or no leading(all bullets will lead some).

so 10 lb's of alloy is 70,000 gr's divide by 124 gr 9mm bullet should get about 560 bullets for .35... not bad
bullet lube is very cheap a bottle of the lee tumble lube cost $2.50 and will do thousands of bullets.

so here powder cost 18.00 a pound so thats .0025 a grain.I use 3.8 grs of bullseye in my 9mm loads X 50 rd's is .47 for powder for 50 rounds

so to load a box of 50 9mm with your cast bullets

50 124 gr lrn bullet cost .03
3.8 grs bullseye .47
primers .90
brass free range pick up .00

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now those are some serious savings, sounds fun too though, I guess it's something someone has to learn how to do. I may take it up after I make sure reloading is for me, but just for fun, I did the numbers anyways. :D
Mine where slightly different though, but not by much. And they are for 40caliber, and 175grain in weight. That's the Lee molds that they sell at the reloading shop. (I am not trying to correct your work Txpete, this is just the way I did my math) I hope it doesn't come off that way, it's just for fun and to show others a good savings also. Thanks for showing me.

Wheel weights - Free, I use to work at car shop and have good friends there, and my best friend works at North Houston Infinity

Brass - Already Free, pick them up at the gun range.

Powder - $18 per Lb. = 16oz. = 448grams = 6,720grains
(15 grains per gram) I think, but pretty sure :D
Then you take $18 and divide by 6,720 (number of grains per powder container) and you get .00267857 etc. etc. cents per grain. For sake of saving the brain, we'll call that number .0026 cents per grain of powder.

We'll figure these numbers for a box of 50 rounds of 175 grain. In my Lee reloading book, "Modern Reloading," you can use as low as 4.8 grains of powder. So then we take our powder number .0026 cents multiplied by 4.8 grains of powder per bullet to equal
.01248 cents (one penny) per bullet, then multiply that by 50 bullets to get .624 cents of powder per box of 50 rounds.

Primers - I bought CCI's at $18 for 1,000. $18 divided by 1,000 primers equals .018 cents per primer, multiplied by 50 primers brings us to .90 cents for 50 rounds.

So for the ending, how much a box of 50 rounds of 175gr. 40S&W - $1.52

Reloading's awesome, those are some pretty cool numbers. I guess though if you can get the lead for free you might as well try casting also. I am sure I will someday. One thing at a time, lol. :D

Thanks Txpete for showing me that, I had no idea how much money could be saved!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts