Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16" SS bull barrel. I was thinking it might be nice to make it a little lighter and custom by having it fluted.

Pretty much just running a ball mill down the length of it in 4 or 8 places.

Is this a good move?

How would accuracy be effected?

Should I just stop thinking custom and leave it and buy a new upper with standard barrel?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier/better to buy and mount a new barrel? Then you would have the option of keeping or selling the BB. Accuracy? I can't see improving the accuracy by doing a barrel modification. Would you settle for a lighter, less accurate shooter?

One Eye Jack

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't it be easier/better to buy and mount a new barrel? Then you would have the option of saving or selling the BB.

One Eye Jack
Definitly a possibility, I dont think I actually need a bull barrel other than I like the added size in a few places (pure personal preference). Plus I am stuck on this, "I want custom" look to my guns. That can be expensive and silly though. I guess I am just looking fooor a justification or a "shut up and stop it" comments lol

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
"Shut up and Stop it!" ;)

Actually, I'm not into pretty so I'd probably just go with it. All my guns get worked hard so custom and pretty aren't in my vocabulary. I get the weight piece as a couple of pounds makes a difference after a couple of hours of training. Not sure how much weight a standard barrel saves over the heavy barrel. My Colt has a heavy barrel but still comes in around 9 lbs.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Fluting the bbl will actually enhance accuracy and cooling plus lighten it

It will stiffen it some, enhancing accuracy (not tremendously though)
It will expose more surface area to air, enhancing cooling
Lighter is better if your gonna carry it much

Unless the milling process gets botched it wont hurt at all.
Benefits may be marginal though.

peace

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
If you really want it to look sick, have the bbl rotated 1/4 turn as the grove is milled, giving it a twisted look
:twisted:

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark,

Thanks for the addition, I didn't think about the strength and cooling...good benefit.

And yes, the twisted ones look great, I have seen them

Maybe Ill have it twisted and sharpened and then make the muzzle pointed for a giant bayonette... ;)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
^^^^ Yeah but then you'd have to waste ammo shooting people off who got stuck on the bayo!

LOL

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^^ Yeah but then you'd have to waste ammo shooting people off who got stuck on the bayo!

LOL
Eh, watching a zombie implode from the inside out would be worth the spent round........

LOL

·
Registered
786 Posts
^^^^ Yeah but then you'd have to waste ammo shooting people off who got stuck on the bayo!]

As long as I had shells i would do my best to not let them get close enough to have to stick them

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I think it would look sweet and be functional, go for it, or just buy a fluted barrel, but hey its way more fun to so stuff yourself right? Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it would look sweet and be functional, go for it, or just buy a fluted barrel, but hey its way more fun to so stuff yourself right? Have fun and good luck!
This is the exact dilema I am in

1 - 14 of 14 Posts