Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I hit the gun show, one of the booths was selling Bulgarian waffle mags for $23. I thought this was good. But then I did some math and considered the following:

Here's the math I did on buying bundles of 4x Bulgarian waffle magazines at various sources.

K-VAr (K-VAR Corporation)
$101.31 after shipping ($25.33 Eachish)

CC Tactical (Canyon Country Tactical)
$107.91 after shipping ($26.98 eachish)

Blackheart International (1 Stop Tactical Gear - Blackheart International LLC)
$108.86 after shipping ($27.22 eachish)

J&G Sales (J&G Sales)
$109.75 after shipping ($27.44 eachish)

Dude's booth at gun show....
$110.00 after admissions for me and the Mrs. ($27.50 eachish)

Red Star Arms (Red Star Arms Inc.)
$159.80 + Shipping (too damn much)

IFA Tactical (IFA Tactical - Tactical accessories for AR-15, AK-47, SKS, Shotguns, & much more)
$160-something (too damn much)

AIM Surplus (AIMSurplus, your home for surplus ammunition, guns and firearms)
No Bulgy Waffle mags available

Anybody got any feedback?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Sounds like the gunshow is the best deal. Admission was a fixed cost, you can't really factor that into the price of those mags without adding it to all the mags, you already incurred it.

Don't forget, a lot of gun show guys will bargain. The last gun show I went to, I found 2 Weiger mags for $30/pc. I offered to buy the 2 he had for $50, and he took it. Cash helps too.

You didn't mention if the gun show booth charged tax, but that's a factor too.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After shipping: $107.91 or $26.98 eachish

That's exactly the same as CC Tactical.

Sounds like the gunshow is the best deal. Admission was a fixed cost, you can't really factor that into the price of those mags without adding it to all the mags, you already incurred it.
Except I probably don't care about the gun show beyond getting mags. They never have any optics or other such equipment that I care about.

Don't forget, a lot of gun show guys will bargain.
Not this guy. I tried that with him and he said: "No, all prices on the mags are firm." And he didn't have anything else I cared about.

You didn't mention if the gun show booth charged tax, but that's a factor too.
Yeah but the list price was factoring tax in. They do that to make it easier to transact.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Except I probably don't care about the gun show beyond getting mags. They never have any optics or other such equipment that I care about.
Right - I see what you mean. You would have to pay for the entry fee again to get the mags. I meant that you should have bought them while you were there. Then you could have considered it a fixed cost. As it stands right now, you're already paid that fee once - basically a cost to research prices.

Anyway, it's only a couple bucks per mag either way. :D

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i will always pay a little more to buy something on the spot. no risk of loss or damage in the mail plus you get to inspect it before you buy

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
You're not gonna find them for under $24 without shipping. K-Var, Cope's, DillonBluePress, SportsmansGuide...I've ordered them from all of the above and the price is pretty universal.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I meant that you should have bought them while you were there.
I cleaned the guy out. He had exactly ONE left in his whole stock when I got there. He said a bunch of dudes came in and took all but that last one earlier that day. :(

You're not gonna find them for under $24 without shipping. K-Var, Cope's, DillonBluePress, SportsmansGuide...I've ordered them from all of the above and the price is pretty universal.
I really don't have a problem with these average prices. I was just trying to juxtapose the actual cost of the magazines versus the price tag.

This is part of the reason I love shopping at ammo man: AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors
They usually do free shipping so the actual cost is more apparent.

Naturally, if you got more than 4 magazines at a time, the price spread may be different. But it's something to consider when you're assessing the price of anything. :p

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
This is part of the reason I love shopping at ammo man: AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors
They usually do free shipping so the actual cost is more apparent.
they dont have free shipping at ammo man, if you check the price compared to other dealers he is actually a bit higher since he factors shipping in to the cost of the ammo and tells you shipping is free...

remeber nothing is free, and with something as heavy as ammo, with small/no minimum order he would be loosing his ass on shipping costs if it was actually free shipping. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Cope's has THE most reasonable shipping charges of any supplier I have found. Flat $7 for most orders (not item). I don't know what they charge for ammo though.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
they dont have free shipping at ammo man...
This is true. But as I said before: It makes it easier to determine the cost of the item by glancing at the price tag -- which is the real point. And I still do an after-shipping comparison to other sources of ammo (that aren't wolf) before I commit. Very often, Ammoman tends to be lower anyway... but maybe that's because I never bother until he has a decent "sale" going on.

After shipping: $106.33 or $26.58 eachish. That sits between K-VAR, the current leader, and CC Tactical. Good second place.

Cope's has THE most reasonable shipping charges of any supplier I have found. Flat $7 for most orders (not item).
That makes it rewarding if you wanna do huge orders. But for shmucks like me who have to weasel every dime past the wife first, making it worth the effort may not be easy to do.

It's going to take some negotiating magic to convince my wife I need to spend $100 on mags... I can't imagine getting approval for the extra $$$'s it'd take to make the flat shipping rate really pay off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Judging by the amount of Magpul Pmags that have sold recently, the Bulgy waffles will likely start disappearing as well. The place I bought my Pmags from sold over 600 of them in 12 hours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts