Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally caught the black rifle fever and have priced out some options, and I want to know what you think is the best way to go. I have never built an AR-15 before, but I am very mechanically inclined. Since this is my first one and I like to do things right the first time, I want one of the best rifles you can buy for the money. This is what I have priced out so far, feel free to add anything you think I left out.

Option 1:
Buy a complete Noveske N4 Light carbine $1375 or LMT standard $1235.55. If this option is the best bet, which of the 2 rifles would you choose and why? I have already seen “the chart” and both are rated very highly.

Option 2:
Buy a Noveske N4 light upper $875.00 (this includes the bolt carrier group and BUIS), buy a Noveske stripped lower (I’d like them to match) $165.00 and add a decent lower parts kit (RRA stage 2 trigger and parts) for $180.00 for a total of $1220 + money towards a stock.

Option 3:
Buy a LMT upper $485.00, Bolt carrier $129(regular) or $285(enhanced), Mega Lower $135.00, Lower parts kit with RRA stage 2 trigger $180.00 for a total of $929 to $1085 (depends on the bolt carrier) + a BUIS and a stock.

Option 4: ????

All options are very close in price. Would it be best to buy the complete rifle and have a warranty?? I have a set of P-mags that I will be using with the rifle. I will look into optics after the rifle is completed and I have some range time with the irons.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
You can't go wrong either way with the Noveske or the LMT. :cool:
I own a LMT that O bought a complete upper and then a complete lower.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
best advice i can give you is get a second and third job once the bug gets its teeth in deep you will be like a junkie looking for a quick fix.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I had a lower given to me by a friend; I bought the FireForEffect upper as well as the lower parts kit.

Took me around an hour to put assemble the lower with the LPK. There are excellent tutorials online, and they're pretty easy to follow. Since you've described yourself as mechanically-inclined, I'm sure you'd have no trouble putting one together.

One advantage to putting one together is that, apparently, you have no federal excise tax that way.

If you put it together, you'll learn a lot about it, and believe me, the entertainment factor is significant. Significant. :)

Pretty cool feeling the first time you pull the trigger and send a round downrange.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Don't do anything! Next thing you know will have to buy a $1000.00 gun safe that doesn't even hold the number of rifles you have built. AIM has supperior lowers for $79.00.....and that is how it begins. Just say NO. and send all of your stuff to me :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
If you've never built one before, I suggest buying one, especially since it looks like you have the funds to get a nice one.

Both brands are great, I'm partial to the Noveske, but would take either one in a heartbeat.

Once you get one and shoot it and become familiar with it, then you can think about building a 2nd one from the ground up.

I started with a basic Armalite M4 and added accessories. Now I'm familiar enough that I feel confident in building one if I had the desire (or funds )right now.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I am a big RRA fan. Everyone has there favorite brand or version of "tacticool", but from what I have tried the RRA was the best for me. But to chose from your options I would have to go with Option 2.... jmo

What "chart" are you talking about??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Build one, from scratch. If you can afford the helper tools, and can read, you can do it. It's like a puzzle that is fun to finish. Very rewarding to learn it, and makes repairs easier, since you know how the rifle works, nd is put together.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I have pretty much decided to build most of the rifle myself and have a few questions.

1. How important is it to have a good bolt carrier group? I'm not sure what kind Noveske uses, but I could get a LMT upper with a Brave Company USA auto bolt carrier group (which is supposed to be the best for the money). The only problem is that it is on backorder until the third week of October. Would the Noveske BCG be fine or the the bravo one worth the upgrade?

2. Is there a major difference between an auto and semi-auto bolt carrier group and do you need a special license to have a full auto BCG? This is the one that I found and is supposed to be the best. BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

Thanks guys :cool:

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Ok I have pretty much decided to build most of the rifle myself and have a few questions.

1. How important is it to have a good bolt carrier group? I'm not sure what kind Noveske uses, but I could get a LMT upper with a Brave Company USA auto bolt carrier group (which is supposed to be the best for the money). The only problem is that it is on backorder until the third week of October. Would the Noveske BCG be fine or the the bravo one worth the upgrade?

2. Is there a major difference between an auto and semi-auto bolt carrier group and do you need a special license to have a full auto BCG? This is the one that I found and is supposed to be the best. BCM Bolt Carrier Group MPI Auto M16

The barrel and the bolt carrier group are the "heart" of the AR. Don't skimp on these. I'm not sure who Noveske uses for their BCG, but the Bravo or the LMT are top notch.

The FA BCG is legal and you don't need a license of any kind.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The barrel and the bolt carrier group are the "heart" of the AR. Don't skimp on these. I'm not sure who Noveske uses for their BCG, but the Bravo or the LMT are top notch.

The FA BCG is legal and you don't need a license of any kind.

Do you know if the LMT enhanced is better than the Bravo or the "regular" LMT? I searched on AR15.com and people seem to have mixed reviews on the enhanced version. It is also twice the price of the regular version.

I can get a regular or enhanced LMT BCG right now, but the Bravo is on backorder everywhere. Do you think it is worth the wait to get the Bravo? From what I have read it is the best one for the money.

Sorry for all the questions, I am a newbie with all of this.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It really depends on how much you plan to use it. For me regular bcg is just fine for but if you want it and have the $$$$ its up to you. If it was me i would just get a regular bcg, and regular lower parts kit, and buy a eo tech with the money. But it your build not mine.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Do you know if the LMT enhanced is better than the Bravo or the "regular" LMT? I searched on AR15.com and people seem to have mixed reviews on the enhanced version. It is also twice the price of the regular version.

I can get a regular or enhanced LMT BCG right now, but the Bravo is on backorder everywhere. Do you think it is worth the wait to get the Bravo? From what I have read it is the best one for the money.

Get the regular LMT FA BCG and you are good to go. :cool:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you've never built one before, I suggest buying one, especially since it looks like you have the funds to get a nice one.
BOOOOOOOO what fun is that any fool can go write a check or swipe a card. for me building it is half the fun

What "chart" are you talking about??
just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water here comes the chart again.

go with the standard BCG your not going to be firing full auto so the need for the enhanced BCG is pointless save the extra $100 bucks and buy some accessories or ammo. even better yet buy a press and start reloading your ammo it will pay you back in infinite folds. i am currently loading up .223 at about .14 cents a round. which is only $140 per 1k

ARfcom is a special group of people. depending on where you go you will always get mixed reviews some people feel that they have to have the best of the best no matter the cost after all if it cost more its got to be better right, then some people say because the military uses it its got to be good right, Wrong the military contracts it to the lowest bidder based on their specs IE the difference between commercial and mil-spec. then then there are the middle of the road kinda guys myself included who find that pretty much so most of the name brand ARs that you see a plethora of are going to be fine for what we do with them. i personally own two Stags, an LMT and (cough cough) a Colt LE 6920 as of last week when i came across i deal i couldn't pass up. ive also owned a DPMS and had no problems with it. then you have the final group that will buy the absolute cheapest and say hey at least ive got an AR which is fine after all most people regardless of what they say buy for entertainment value and will likely never ever use it for self defense after all i can barely conceal my Glock 19 let alone a 28" rifle and hey lets not forget not everyone can afford to drop a grand or more on a rifle but still want to have one. heck i got a buddy that has more money than he knows what to do with and has a cheap franken gun that he has maybe $600 in including all his cheap Chinese optics and UTG rails and he has just as much fun shooting it as i do any of my more expensive rifles. to him its all about cheap entertainment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts