Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, im building an AR15 before Osama bans them.

Since im new to them, please be nice!

First off, are there any brands I should stay away from?
Will a RRA or LAR lower or lower parts perform the same as a DPMS or other name brands?
Second, anyone got links to cheap prices for good parts?

Most important: Any legalities I should know of? Especially concerning lowers!
Can I buy a lower from anyone? Should I look for stamps or markings? what do they mean and how do they relate?

Thats it for now since ive started researching a bit before this post.:cool:

EDIT:

Current questions:
Will any flip up sight work on a Flat top or are there special ones for extra height?

Also, Are muzzle breaks very usefull?
or is it just very minor change in recoil?
Any negative to using them?

Build list:

2 PMags: $30
Del-Ton Inc, Magpul PMAG Polymer 30 Round Magazine

LAR Lower: $120
C3 Arms

Lower Parts Kit: $55
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Complete Lower Parts Kit

16" Midlength Flat Top Upper w/ Bolt Carrier and Charging Handle: $395
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Mid-Length Custom Upper

CAR 6 Position Collapsible Stock: $70
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 M4 CAR Buttstock Assembly - Black

Arms #40A flip up rear sight: $105
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Flip Up Rear Sight
TOTAL:$692.70

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
a lower is a lower I'm preferintial to STAG lpks pick the lower you like best and buy it

As far as deals good luck pretty much so since Tuesday that have gone up concidrrably in price

Right now the only legality is that your upper must have a overal length of 16" you can go shorter but it must have a permenantly attached flash hider or you will need to fill out a form 1 and SBR it (another $200 you will never get back since the tax stamp I'd non transferable)

Good luck EBR diese will set in and you will get strung out like a crack addict

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Oh and yes so long as private party sales are not restricted in your area you can buy from anyone

If you buy online I'd from a dealer you will need to fill out a 4473 and have it transfered as the lowe is the only part that requires a serial number and is considered a firearm

·
Registered
127 Posts
Alright, im building an AR15 before Osama bans them.

Since im new to them, please be nice!
Most everyone is cool on this forum, so no worries. Some oversimplified basic answers...

First off, are there any brands I should stay away from?
There are a couple, but if you are looking at DPMS, RRA and better as far as price you'll be OK

Will a RRA or LAR lower or lower parts perform the same as a DPMS or other name brands?
Second, anyone got links to cheap prices for good parts?
Most lowers and bargain lower parts kits are the same as far as quality. I would say that the RRA 2 stage trigger is worth the extra few bucks. Take a look though the threads here for many links to help you with parts and kits.

Most important: Any legalities I should know of? Especially concerning lowers!
Can I buy a lower from anyone? Should I look for stamps or markings? what do they mean and how do they relate?
The only legality (for now ;) ) is that the stripped lower is considered the gun, and that is the one part that needs to go through an FFL. As I stated above, most lowers are practically the same, so pick the markings that look cool to you and go crazy. My next is going to be a Spikes Tactical lower with the Punisher logo, just becaues I want it LOL. See it here:

stock laser engravings Punisher [Punisher Log] - $5.00 : Spikes Tactical, 407-928-2666

Have fun!
Scott

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not in Arizona. That is a headache for our friends who live in states that kept the AWB on thier own. People there will pay extra for preban stuff, so for you it would be extra cost for nothing...

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you feel you may move to the ban state someday, then possibly. Only you can make that decision based on how likely that is, and how much extra you want to spend. You'll be paying a premium for components that are at least 18 years old...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Most everyone is cool on this forum, so no worries. Some oversimplified basic answers...

There are a couple, but if you are looking at DPMS, RRA and better as far as price you'll be OK
RRA & DPMS are both made by LAR actually their are only about 4 different companies that make forged lower and slap somebody elses logo on them

Most lowers and bargain lower parts kits are the same as far as quality. I would say that the RRA 2 stage trigger is worth the extra few bucks. Take a look though the threads here for many links to help you with parts and kits.
if you consider almost twice the price a few extra buck especially since the two stage triggers wear out faster and are basically made for bench rest shooting

The only legality (for now ;) ) is that the stripped lower is considered the gun, and that is the one part that needs to go through an FFL. As I stated above, most lowers are practically the same, so pick the markings that look cool to you and go crazy. My next is going to be a Spikes Tactical lower with the Punisher logo, just becaues I want it LOL. See it here: Unless it's a private part sale

stock laser engravings Punisher [Punisher Log] - $5.00 : Spikes Tactical, 407-928-2666

Have fun!
Scott
But would it be worth it in case I moved to a state in the future that has the AWB???
in short no even in most states where the AWB still exist all you will need to do is pin the stock and replace the may release with a bullet button essentially making it a fixed magazine since you have to have a tool to remove it

·
Registered
671 Posts
.....RRA & DPMS are both made by LAR actually their are only about 4 different companies that make forged lower and slap somebody elses logo on them

not EXACTLY.......

LMT = LMT, Lauer, DS Arms, PWA, Eagle, Knights Armament, Barrett
CMT = Stag, RRA, High Standard, Noveske, (new) Century, Global Tactical, CLE, S&W, MGI, Wilson Tactical, Grenadier Precision, Colt
LAR = LAR, Bushmaster, Ameetech, DPMS, CMMG, Double Star, Fulton, RRA
JVP = Double Star, LRB
MMS = Mega, GSE, Dalphon, POF, Alexander Arms,
Olympic = Olympic, SGW, Tromix, Palmetto, Dalphon, Frankford, (old) Century
Sun Devil = Sun Devil forged billet receivers
Superior = Superior Arms

not all of these are currently correct. and there are more out there. but gives a pretty good idea of the inbreeding taking place in the AR world.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
yes.
CTD sells sloped rail sections that attach with screws/nuts. They work.
ARR-054 - AR-15 and M16 Deluxe Handguard Rails Set of Two 5.9" Length 12 Slots Aluminum
Thanks so much, that saves me from getting a $75 YHM 4 rail...:razz:
Can spend that on mags and a VFG now.

Do you guys reccomend a Midlength or Carbine? Whats the diff?

And will any flip up sight work on a Flat top or are there special ones for extra height?

·
Registered
787 Posts
This post was very helpful. I've read all the LONG AR15 stickies, looked at a bunch of stuff online, etc, but it's still a little bit of a confusing world for someone just starting out. :D

I think I'm going to get 2 lowers if I can. One, I will build up now and the other, I'll hang onto. I've been looking at Stag and RRA, but that link you posted for the C3 lower is pretty good. I'll have to make a call on it next week!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks so much, that saves me from getting a $75 YHM 4 rail...:razz:
Can spend that on mags and a VFG now. I'd spend the extra on the rails the more pieces as you are attaching your VFG to something solid the more pieces you add to the equasion the greater the risk of a part failing

Using the attachment kit you are attaching your VFG to a piece of metal or plastc that is screwed on to a piece plastic

Do you guys reccomend a Midlength or Carbine? Whats the diff? I'm partial to the carbine. The difference is the length of the gas tube the carbine is prone to wearing parts faster due to heavier recoil also the longer the gas tube the more velocity the round will have when it exits the barrel

And will any flip up sight work on a Flat top or are there special ones for extra height?

Yes their are different size sight for flip up and fixed BUIS I'd stick with same plane

No there is no negatives only positives the will keep your barrel more level allowing faster follow up shots, I am assuming that you actually mean muzzle breaks not flash suppressors
This post was very helpful. I've read all the LONG AR15 stickies, looked at a bunch of stuff online, etc, but it's still a little bit of a confusing world for someone just starting out. :D

I think I'm going to get 2 lowers if I can. One, I will build up now and the other, I'll hang onto. I've been looking at Stag and RRA, but that link you posted for the C3 lower is pretty good. I'll have to make a call on it next week!
Not a bad idea but I would build 1 take some pics then strip the lower and build the other and take some pic it's possible that they will say a stripped lowe that's never been built up doesn't qualify as ore ban

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just a side note, but if you plan on ordering from Del-ton be prepared to wait. They have a huge backup and are running about 3 to 4 weeks behind I was told. But their customer service is great as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I consider the cost differnce for the RRA two stage trigger to be a worthwhile few extra bucks in the context of the cost of the entire build.

As far as them wearing out and only being suitable for benchrest shooting (which is what most non mil and leo owners do anyway) I'd like to see some factual backup to that statement. I've put thousands of rounds through two AR's with RRA 2 stage triggers both on and off a bench. Never had a problem and found them superior the the standard kit triggers in every way...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts