Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is everyone building AR's? what is the difference in price from buying one outright to building one? if i ordered a parts kit would it come with everything i need or would i need extra tools? thanks

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
why is everyone building AR's? what is the difference in price from buying one outright to building one? if i ordered a parts kit would it come with everything i need or would i need extra tools? thanks
Not knowing what tools and experience you have it would be hard to say. Over the years I have bought punches, action blocks, forearm wrenches, etc, etc.

If I built one up from the lower it would cost me three times as much since I know I would want top shelf goodies for everything.

Many guys here like Del-ton where you can buy a kit to put one together yourself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can build it the way you want it. Right now all the dealers around here are jacking up the prices of complete guns. I can build one right now and save $200+.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I never built one but Im planning to. Its like anything else, you can either buy it already made or build it yourself the way you want. Id rather build my own cars too than buy something already built up.

No better way to get to know something than build it. If something breaks later and needs fixed, you should know the insides having put it together.

Then, Id assume theres the savings of not paying for someone elses time to build it.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I just built one last week. It isn't complicated, just getting in roll pins are a pain in the arse.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
ARs are not building a rifle, unlike building an AK from a parts kit. I have "built" bolth. If you can put together a 100 piece puzzle you can put together an AR. No disrespect to AR guys, as I am one, but it really is not a build, until you have to pull out the spot welder and wheel grinder it is not a build.

FYI my last 4 builds were ARs and it was a lot of fun and I got exactly what I wanted for a lot cheaper than buying a complete rifle. On the last AK build I created a few more cuss words that aren't in the dictionary.

My advice, DON'T build the first one because you will soon have 4 lowers and 3 uppers and will need 6 more of each. Black Rifle Diease will strike. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I built mine for the since of accomplishment. It's MINE. Plus I happened to have a lower. The one benefit I see is you put it together the way you want it from the beginning. Spending $1000 for it done the way you want or $800 and then putting $400+ in accessories.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
As for difficulty level, that depends on how far you go with the parts selection. Buying a complete upper or a stripped upper and then barrel, bolt carrier group, etc. It's not hard at all and there are plenty of instructions out there to help. (AR15.com, books, etc.)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
buildign an ar15 is much easier then figuring out whats going on in a girls head, thats for sure. i bet everyguys thats built one will agree.

they are easy. as long as the upper is assembled then you can build the rest with basic tools that pretty much everyone has. i used pliers and a nail and a hammer, thats it. oh and some masking tape

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another reason that makes building your own cheaper is the federal tax on a finished firearm. I think the current rate is 10 or 11% of what is charged the first tier buyer. Lets say a rifle leaves the factory after being sold to the dealer for $1000. The federal tax would be about $100 or so. THEN the dealer add his markup.

Building you own has an instant cost advantage by side stepping the federal tax.:D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Another reason that makes building your own cheaper is the federal tax on a finished firearm. I think the current rate is 10 or 11% of what is charged the first tier buyer. Lets say a rifle leaves the factory after being sold to the dealer for $1000. The federal tax would be about $100 or so. THEN the dealer add his markup.

Building you own has an instant cost advantage by side stepping the federal tax.:D
+1. It's 11% I believe.

You could also simply purchase a complete lower and a complete upper on two separate orders and avoid this surcharge as well.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I nominate this for the Posting Hall of Fame!

buildign an ar15 is much easier then figuring out whats going on in a girls head, thats for sure. i bet everyguys thats built one will agree.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Lots of good answers here. It's your choice. Assembling one is easy...if nothing goes wrong and assuming (dangerous word) the skill levels, knowledge and the necessary tools and stuff of the builder are sufficient.

Having assembled over 150 AR's and having rebuilt who knows how many M16's, most of the time it's easy. Like a dumb blond can be taught just fine. It's the things that can go hard or wrong that drive you crazy.

There is now stuff for the AR platform that 20 years ago we only dreamed of. The neat thing about doing your own is that you can build it your way, all the way. That plus the pride of the work. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
I didnt BUILD one per say.

What I did is purchased the complete lower without stock and grip and got my own parts to my liking later.

And then bought the upper.

That is not considered as "Building an AR" in the AR underground world.

However; that will save you the 11% tax on the rifle, plus will save you money by allowing you to get the stock you want with the grip you exactly want; without having extra plastic pieces laying around.

So yeah...

:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
i've never really built anything before! lol, let alone a friggin gun! how hard is it?
If you take your time, lay out your parts as per the diagrams you'll find online (identifying every part), and do the function checks, it's really not bad.

If you can detail strip an XD, you can certainly do this. If you're at all mechanically-inclined, you can do this.

It struck me when I did mine that if you can do basic car maintenance, such as changing oil, you probably can do this.

Special tools? Maybe a vise grip (cover the jaws w/ electrical tape), a punch or two perhaps, a tapping hammer, not much else. Very basic tools.

If you're careful and deliberate, I believe this is a slam dunk for anyone with a bit of mechanical aptitude.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts