Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so very very new to AR's and recently purchased my first, I got a DPMS AP4 .308! That only started the fire now I got 3 CMMG lowers on order so I can do some builds to learn more about the gun as I piece them together. My main question is what all does it take to build a full ready to fire rifle. I'm not talking about all the extras you can toss on, just the basics to get the rifle to fire a cartridge. Obviously so far I know the lower, then I'm gonna need a lower parts kit. A butt stock (not really part of the firing aspect but a must for the rifle) And then an upper. Thats all I can think of with those combined the rifle should fire correct? Then from there yes I can add optics, rails, lights and all kinds of fancy stuff. So are my at least on the right track?

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you wish to build a basic AR this is what you will need.

A lower.
A lower parts kit.
A stock
A upper that is fully assembled.(good luck)
Magazines.(good luck) lol

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok figured so, yea I'll need the luck just to get the dam lowers to arrive sometime before Christmas of 09' at this rate!

·
Registered
469 Posts
lowers arent as hard to find as people make it. I say if your paying 150 or under for a lower your in good water. However ive seen stag lowers going for 200+.. I bought the last of DPMS lowers at a gun store for about 130

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm getting my CMMG lowers for $109.95

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
The buffer tube is essential for the rifle to operate and is part of the butt stock assembly.

I learned a trick for getting the pivot pin detent in without launching it into oblivion. Put in the spring and the detent. Hold the detent down with a dull razor blade or something else thin but strong. Slip the pivot pin over the razor blade and your done. I can't remember where I first saw it but I have never forgotten it. You won't believe how much tension there is until you try to hold that detent down.

Also look thru the build it section on ARFCOM anmd there is a lot of info on building AR's.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I learned a trick for getting the pivot pin detent in without launching it into oblivion. Put in the spring and the detent. Hold the detent down with a dull razor blade or something else thin but strong. Slip the pivot pin over the razor blade and your done. I can't remember where I first saw it but I have never forgotten it. You won't believe how much tension there is until you try to hold that detent down.
That's the method I use.....also do that step in a large clear plastic bag, that way if you do slip the detent can't go far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts