Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am thinking about building a .308 based off of a savage. I am naive when it comes to long range rifles. I would like to put together something that I will easily be able to shoot 500 yards + once I get my skill level up. I understand I will need a lot of practice and training but I want the rifle to be up to par. I also like the idea of building one so it is more my own and I think that will give me a better understanding of how it works. I also plan on moving into reloading so I have a lot to learn but that is another issue.

So the gun. I am having trouble finding just the action for a savage .308. I seem to be able to find a barrel and stock pretty easy. Are there any tools that I will need in particular for this? Will a gunsmith have to put it together? What questions am I not thinking about that I should? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
You will need a barrel wrench and something to hold the action. The easiest and most cost effective path is to buy a stock Savage and shoot the he'll out of it until you develop your skill and know what you want and then build your next stick. Most factory rifles will outshoot the average shooter. Changing the stock is easy enough as well as bedding, mounts, scope, etc otherwise you will need at least those tools to properly install the barrel plus a way to properly set headspace, true it, etc.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing is that if I am going to spend that much money on a rifle then I want it to be exactly what I want. For anything good it looks like you have to spend 700 +

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I just got a Savage 10, 308, fluted bull barrel and I am fully confident that it will shoot 500yards no problem. My first outhing with it, with 168gr Hornady Match, I shot a full box into a really tight group, the first 5 were in a 1in group, adjusted the scope and the next 15 were about 1.5in. I wouldn't say that's too bad for a first outing with a new to me rifle. Now, with some trigger time, better stock and possibly better ammo, I will be cutting that grouping in half. I'm not sure you will find much better than that for what I paid, $525. Good luck, keep us posted buddy!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got a Savage 10, 308, fluted bull barrel and I am fully confident that it will shoot 500yards no problem. My first outhing with it, with 168gr Hornady Match, I shot a full box into a really tight group, the first 5 were in a 1in group, adjusted the sites and the next 15 were about 1.5in. I wouldn't say that's too bad for a first outing with a new to me rifle. Now, with some trigger time, better stock and possibly better ammo, I will be cutting that grouping in half. I'm not sure you will find much better than that for what I paid, $525. Good luck, keep us posted buddy!
Wow $525?? Where at? Is that used?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Yeah, it was HARDLY used, less than a box of ammo threw it when I picked it up. Even has a 6-24x50 Vortex scope, not the higher end vortex, but none the less its a $200 scope.
I already had the bipod and shell holder before.

First outing with the rifle, horandy 168gr Amax Match. Full box of 20, you can see one flier at the top of the picture. Not sure what I did..lol.. The group by the tape measure was thr first 5 shots, then I lowered the sight.

·
Registered
19,974 Posts
just buy any old gun that uses the action you want, learn, then modify it or have it modified after your skills are top notch.

a gun like my deer rifle (Remington Sportsman 78, basically a cheapened Remmy 700ADL)can be had pretty cheap used, will out shoot you for awhile, and I should be able to stick all the high dollar custom crap on it that I could dream of; multitude of custom stocks, barrels, triggers, detachable mags, etc... etc....

·
Registered
877 Posts
Honest opinion? Buy one already done!!! I know it's fun to build one yourself, but I was in your shoes a few months ago, so I spent $1600 building my own, and sold it a few weeks ago for $700...... It's fun to build your own, yeah, but you spend a LOT of cash doing so. Hit up snipershide, and find one already done, for a decent price and shoot it. I agree with the above, most factory rifles will outshoot the shooter...practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
72 Posts
just as one said.why not start out with something new or even used.savage and remington both have very nice 308s to choose from.for me I have 1300 in a great remington.will shoot anything I feed it.read alot about the same for savage.then after you get it all down to the I can do this wit this.you can fork out what you want for a custom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts