Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I put a couple pictures of the before of my gun/shtf room. I am taking off that wood door and putting a metal one on with a button lock,and the walls that are not block will have metal on them. I am not sure what to do with the rafters above to keep from being cut through from upstairs I might just run some rebar through them. I will run a dehumidifier for sure back there to keep the moisture out. This will be my summer project the block wall is under ground completely,my house is a bi-level so the front downstairs wall is on down like 3 feet. If you have a room post up some pictures so I can get some ideas:)

The door in

The wall with the fishing polls will have my guns on it with a bench under

Not sure whats going to go here

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would bring in some 3/8 inch steel sheets and bolt them to the concrete, then weld them all together. Throw in some half inch spacers on the steel to clear the bolts and then throw Type X with a spray foam insulation and then make it pretty from there. Definitely throw a good steel door and biometric lock. For the open area above, throw rebar in there with grancrete (make sure there is a good vapor and moisture barrier!).

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Here's an idea for your ceiling and non-concrete walls. It's corrugated steel, 3/8" thick. In my case, it's also covered by concrete. The steel girders and columns will literally support the weight of a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Don't forget about fire protection.

See what you can do to fireproof the place. Possibly run a line to the outside the FD could pump water through, through sprinklers or something.

The door will probably be the weakest point. I've heard about metal strips that go up the jam and are very hard to kick in. I don't remember what they're called though. Have fun with this!

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
is there a thread where people post pics of their gun/safe rooms? im interested in maybe building one of these myself in the future and could use some ideas.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah this is alot of good things to think about. I can't wait to start this,1st thing I have to clear most of that clutter out of there. I am also going to hook up a tv and cameras just so I can see what's going on throughout the house that works on 12v they are cheap to setup. I have a cutting torch and a welder I can make anything work :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
They've come quite a long way with vault doors in the home. Reinforcing the walls with steel/metal and bars on the windows for that room (providing there are any) would go a long way in securing it. If you really want to step up the security you can add some biometrics as well as any other security protocols you have in place. Albeit its a bit pricey for the techology.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about radiation protection
Well if there is radiation we are all screwed because on a middle class income we can build fallout shelters :). There is no windows in there,so if power goes out I'll just have some battery lights. But as far as SHTF goes this is just going to be the jumping off place, staying barracaded is not the answer just a good start. This is just me killing 2 birds with one stone a gunsafe and a emergency room for my family. My dodge ram diesel is just right outside the door to my room so we will be set to leave in a hurry as well.

·
Registered
19,743 Posts
I've got a pretty good setup almost ready in my basement. I have a root cellar about 10x15 under part of my master bedroom that has only 1 small door leading to it from the rest of the basement. A trapdoor from the bedroom and ways to bar the door and trap door would be all I need

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's not a bad idea maybe a trap door from upstairs hmmm,sounds like a good setup buddy.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
You should do it up like the gun room under the garage in Mr. and Mrs. Smith! That's how I plan to do mine, none of that log cabin olde-timey stuff, I want to go modern tacticool and any one who doesn't like it is invited never to come over to my house and see how awesome it is going to be!
If I won the lottery I think I'd take this route as well.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
If I won the lottery I think I'd take this route as well.
Well provided you don't actually install it under you garage you can do it for fairly cheap. Just need some aluminum to build shelves and some cheap LED lighting!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wish buddy,I have been working 10hr days and 8 on saturdays. And here in PA where I live we had a bad hailstorm 2 weeks ago and my house looks like someone took a ak47 to the front and roof. I will get to it soon and keep this post updated I promise you :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts