Springfield XD Forum banner

Build question

766 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ghostrider1 
#1 ·
What do you use to hold the lower in the vice while working? I saw the video where he had a piece that fit in the mag well, but was wondering if any of you made your own or had another method. Also, does anyone know where you can buy the thing from the video? Seems like it would come in handy, especially if your doing multiple builds.

#4 ·
Finally a post I can answer based upon lots of experience. All you need is a piece of wall to wall shag carpet, properly sized. Try a larger piece than necessary and widdle on it until you feel it is big enough.

You will need a high quality 4 inch smooth bench vise, the kind that bolts through the bench. The bench also needs to be kinda thick to hold the vise firmly down. That's it. Save your $money$. HB of CJ :) :) :)

#5 ·
I made one out of wood.

#7 ·
I purchased the Plastix Plus block from Midway.

Know what I ended up using for my build?... the carpeted floor in my office/gun room.

I taped the receiver well and got the job done. I did use a taped wood block to support the receiver when I tapped in the pins for the trigger guard.

#9 ·
I use a clamp for my uppers that are specific for AR's and a Wrench from DPMS to put on and take off barels. To just hold the lower while putting in internals I built mine from a peice of derilin I bought online. This aint rocket science but the more you do the easier it will be. I have built 20 + rifles for myself and friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.