Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, newb question.. sorry if it has been covered.

Anyway, I have been considering an AR for a while but need some advice. Should I buy a complete rifle from someone like del-ton, rock river, bushmaster, OR build one? I was considering the CMMG upper with a del ton complete lower?

I was thinking that it might be easier to just buy a complete rifle and upgrade after learning a little more about the gun (trust me Ive been reading this and other forums for a while).

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, again sorry if this has been one of those topics that has been beat to death... I searched, really!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
OK, newb question.. sorry if it has been covered.

Anyway, I have been considering an AR for a while but need some advice. Should I buy a complete rifle from someone like del-ton, rock river, bushmaster, OR build one? I was considering the CMMG upper with a del ton complete lower?

I was thinking that it might be easier to just buy a complete rifle and upgrade after learning a little more about the gun (trust me Ive been reading this and other forums for a while).

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated, again sorry if this has been one of those topics that has been beat to death... I searched, really!
My 2 cents would be to build. Otherwise, you're wasting your money on parts that you neither want nor need.

If you've done a bunch of reading, don't you have a general idea of what you want from the gun? Barrel length, upper receiver style, intended use, etc.? That should help you build it to suit you. But, if you find an upper that has what you need at a decent price, then by all means get it.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
It depends. If you just want an AR and don't plan on building more than one, I would either buy a complete rifle or buy a complete lower with a complete upper to go with it.

Building..................you will probably need some special tools that will add to the cost. When you price out the cost of a stripped lower, parts kit and buttstock, it will probably be about the same or close to just buying a complete lower. Especially if you are ordering the parts from more than one source, consider the shipping costs.

Once you have a lower, go to Gunbroker and find a complete upper that suits what you want. You can get just about anything you want there. Rails, no rails, flat top, carry handle, bull barrel, varmit barrel, no sights, BUIS, etc.

This is just my opinion. I have never built one. Most of mine have been complete rifles. Or complete lowers and uppers. I really don't have the time with work and all to build my own and I really don't think you would save that much by just getting a complete rifle or going the upper/lower route.

Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was in your position last week. I had been reading the forums for weeks and knew I wanted an AR. For me building was the right answer. To assemble a stripped lower you don't really need any special tools. I can customize it the way I want and save a few bucks at the same time. Granted I will be buying a complete upper, but it's still to my specs. I build something that's mine with upgraded parts for the same price or less than one off the shelf from Bushmaster/RRA/etc. It's completely up to you, but I say BUILD!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Save money...get exactly what you want/need. 110% Build!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would say to build. Pick up a receiver or two because once Obama gets the new AWB in place, you will probably not be able to get any more. Therefore, I say get a receiver or two now along with as many magazines you can afford.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
I think there is something in AWB 2008 that says you have to have a complete firearm for it to be grandfathered in, not just a lower. Funny thing is you can just make a bunch of complete lowers, take pictures with all your lowers and keep swapping the uppers in each picture. How would they know :confused:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you buy a kit with the upper already assembled you only need a few simple hand tools to assemble the lower.

I say build from a kit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I, want an AR and trying to decide to build or buy. I, have been reading the different forums and talking to people at the range and gunshops. From what I, get its up to you and what you want. Build will help you get to know your rifle and make repairs if needed or change things. Also it lets you build it as time or funds allow.
From my research so far, sounds like get a stripped lower/w kit and than a complete assembled upper (the way you want or close to it). You probibly have and idea of what you want, go to the gunshop or range and look at different AR's pick them up and handle them. This will get you a feel for yours before you spend the cash.
For myself because of limited funds and wife not totally approving, I am getting a stripped lower and complete lower parts kit.
Now my question is. I'm looking at CMMG, RRA, DMPS and STAG stripped lowers all claim to be good. What do you guy think of them? Not sure which upper yet except will be 5.56.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I, want an AR and trying to decide to build or buy. I, have been reading the different forums and talking to people at the range and gunshops. From what I, get its up to you and what you want. Build will help you get to know your rifle and make repairs if needed or change things. Also it lets you build it as time or funds allow.
From my research so far, sounds like get a stripped lower/w kit and than a complete assembled upper (the way you want or close to it). You probibly have and idea of what you want, go to the gunshop or range and look at different AR's pick them up and handle them. This will get you a feel for yours before you spend the cash.
For myself because of limited funds and wife not totally approving, I am getting a stripped lower and complete lower parts kit.
Now my question is. I'm looking at CMMG, RRA, DMPS and STAG stripped lowers all claim to be good. What do you guy think of them? Not sure which upper yet except will be 5.56.
I was going to get one big name lower like the CMMG and then a Spikes tactical and possibly a mega or kaiser defence. The kaiser because that is what the local shop will start carrying.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My local shop doesn't carry any stripped lowers, but will order whatever you like. I pretty much had my mind set on a CMMG. DPMS, Stag and CMMG were all within $5 of each other. I felt the quality, fit and especially the finish was better on the CMMG. RRA is good to, but they were quite a bit more. You can't really go wrong with any of them, but out of those I would go with the CMMG.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the opinions. Looks like I am going to go with a CMMG upper with the 16" M10 medium contour barrel. i was thinking of getting the LMT bolt upgrade as well.

Anyway, I know Del-ton has a great reputation, but I really like the CMMG upper. Does anyone here run a CMMG upper with the del ton lower? i know the lower isnt as critical, but I just want the finish to match.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate the opinions. Looks like I am going to go with a CMMG upper with the 16" M10 medium contour barrel. i was thinking of getting the LMT bolt upgrade as well.

Anyway, I know Del-ton has a great reputation, but I really like the CMMG upper. Does anyone here run a CMMG upper with the del ton lower? i know the lower isnt as critical, but I just want the finish to match.
The only way to be sure that your upper and lower match is to buy a complete rifle. If you are going to build your own, and want to use a CMMG upper, you might as well use a CMMG lower IMO. I just don't like the thought of a mismatched rifle (even though it makes NO difference in functionality), and I would think it could help with the resale value if you ever decide to part ways with it.

I own a CMMG rifle that I built myself. The upper and lower finish is pretty close, and I bet most people would have a hard time seeing a difference. If I had to do it over again, I would still build my own and still stick with CMMG...or DelTon.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Finish can vary even between same brands.
Yep, I've seen that before!

Luckily for me, my CMMG upper and lowers have all matched. If they don't I can't tell the difference. Rock River Arms is another one that I've seen that have a pretty consistent finish on their uppers and lowers, but I've also seen how they can slightly differ.

I've had luck with my builds, but YMMV.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
You raised a great question. Build or buy? IMO, if you want only ONE rifle, BUY a new or used AR-15 speced as close as you can get. But..too many variables. If you feel OK doing your own, go for it. But, if you have to start out building cold, then buying one might be a better way to go.

Again, for just one, maybe buy. However, if you have all the licenses, tools, fixtures, gages, facilities, experience, etc., and want MANY, then BUILDING is the ONLY way to go. Easy. Fun also. Economy of scale and stuff. I've built 156 AR's, but would today just BUY only one. Why?

My build skills are 20 years old and completely out of date. Stuff available today for the AR that we only DREAMED about. Also, practically speaking, we sold off all the necessary and handy tools, fixtures, gages, etc., needed for AR-15 work. Long ago and far away. Your choice. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Definitely build. It's probably the best way to ensure you're getting exactly what you want.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i am building my own and totaled up i am saving about 50 bucks while getting everything customized to my liking with several upgrades. building is the only way to get everything you want the first time

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Exactly... I don't feel like having leftover parts that I'm either stuck with or stuck trying to sell... like I would be buying a complete rifle then switching the handguards/ pistol grip/ stock/ etc...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts