Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I am almost finished with my build (waiting on grip and stock) and I was wondering what weight of buffer to use. so far I have seen the standard, H, H2, H3, 9mm, and several custom buffers like Spikes tactical buffers (extra heavy). My question is what buffer to use? Is there any other way other that trial and error to find what will work? I would rather not have 2-3 unused buffers laying around (if possible).

If trial an error is the only option what would be a good one to start with. The specs of my build are listed below if that makes any difference.

Sun Devil Billet upper and lower
LMT standard BCG
RRA 2-stage trigger
YHM 16" Diamond fluted barrel
YHM carbine length FF quad rail HG
ARMS #40L
Standard FSB
Magpul CTR
ERGO grip

thanks for all the help
nateroach

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
If trial an error is the only option what would be a good one to start with.
Trial and error is the only way to tell exactly which to use. You want to go with the heaviest that will cycle 100% of the time with your chosen ammo.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
In my opinion and experience, a better than OEM spring is more effective than a heavier buffer, though I usually go with a heavy spring combined with at least an H1 buffer myself in a CAR length gas system.

With an A1/A2 style buttstock, I think the Tubbs/Superior Shooting Chrome Silicone/Flat Coil Springs are top of the line.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
In my opinion and experience, a better than OEM spring is more effective than a heavier buffer, though I usually go with a heavy spring combined with at least an H1 buffer myself in a CAR length gas system.

With an A1/A2 style buttstock, I think the Tubbs/Superior Shooting Chrome Silicone/Flat Coil Springs are top of the line.
Big +1 to what John is saying about getting an excellent spring. The Tubb setup is excellent. Here is the Tubb:

AR-15 Buffer Spring (Fits both Carbine and Std.) - AR15 Buffer Springs by Superior Shooting Systems

As for the buffer, I have used an "H" buffer in combination with the Tubb spring with great success.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts