Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
So as a few of you know I purchased an M&P AR 15 about a month ago. Since that time I have managed to get a scope mounted and clean the firearm and I am hoping to get out to the range soon. Recently I recieved an earily Christmas present of fifty dollars and I am looking to start to customize the rifle. Does anyone have any cool upgrade suggestions for around fifty bucks? Since I live in NJ there are a few restrictions on the upgrades such as high cap mags, ajustable stocks and flash suppressors but any other ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Teky0101

ps: Does anyone know if s&w does barrel threading since I want to eventually install a compensator

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
No fun stuff, eh... possibly a new grip (Magpul MIAD is what I have) or vertical grip if that's what you like. Other than that, I'd say spend it all on ammo and range fee.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Inexpensive but worthwhile upgrades/accessories would include a Magpul enhanced trigger guard (nicely sculpted piece that blends in with the receiver), GI two point sling (steadies the aim when used to brace against the support arm), front sight tool, emergency spare parts kit, 20rd magazines (easier to find and better for prone/bench shooting), books about marksmanship or AR accurizing, Patrick Sweeney's two volume book "The AR-15".

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I would buy ammo.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Ammo or a sling.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
for grips i like the hogue and ergo rubber grips. at first i liked the hogue better but now i think i like the ergo one more.both are great though, i like to have rubberized grips on my ARs

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hi Everyone,
So as a few of you know I purchased an M&P AR 15 about a month ago. Since that time I have managed to get a scope mounted and clean the firearm and I am hoping to get out to the range soon. Recently I recieved an earily Christmas present of fifty dollars and I am looking to start to customize the rifle. Does anyone have any cool upgrade suggestions for around fifty bucks? Since I live in NJ there are a few restrictions on the upgrades such as high cap mags, ajustable stocks and flash suppressors but any other ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Teky0101

ps: Does anyone know if s&w does barrel threading since I want to eventually install a compensator

$50... yeah.. thats just shy of setting off full blown BRD.. trust me.. find my first post in this forum.. i wasnt going to mod mine at all... boy was i mistaken lol..

purchases consist of:
Bushnell scope for $50
MI front and rear sights $155 (thanks rupert)
YHM 2 piece drop in rail for $100
Hogue Rubber finger groove grip (this is what started it all really lol)
7 Magazines @ $20 a piece including a 10 round mag too for the range (also $20). so about another $120ish there too.
Mag couplers for two of the mags. $20
Sling $20 (got it from my neighbor)
CAA flash light holder $25
soft shell case bag $40

things i'm about to purchase:

Magpul FDE ladder hand guards for the rails ($40ish)
FDE MIAD grip (to replace the grip that started all this) $50ish
a different kind of light holder ($40ish)
Verticle grip/bipod combo. ($60-$100ish)

and wanting a different kind of optic for it..
cant decide between an Aimpoint, Eotech, or a SPOT or a Burris (price range depending on what i go for would be $170 - $500 give or take)

Price of the gun after tax $1135
Price of purchased accessories thus far: $530
Price of considered purchases: $200ish
$1865... and thats not counting any optics.. i see the wisdom of building your own.. but damn i dont care.. i like my bushy:D

of course after tallying this all up.. that SPOT scope looks much more appealing now lol.

cheers

·
Registered
359 Posts
This stock will give you a nice slick look.

Magpul MOE Milspec Carbine Collapsible Stock MAG400BK - eBay (item 380086481527 end time Dec-08-08 09:21:54 PST)

You could also get a low-cost quad rail like this:

UTG 4 QUAD CARBINE WEAVER RAIL HANDGUARD 2 PC PICATINNY - eBay (item 220321498569 end time Dec-05-08 15:00:00 PST)

I've got one, and it's super solid. I'm putting them on my next two builds as well.

You could get the picatinny gas block, and a flip-up front sight:

COLT-BUSHMASTER-ARMALITE- RRA - SIGHT GAS BLOCK 4 RAIL - eBay (item 140285553283 end time Dec-07-08 17:00:00 PST)

UTG TACTICAL FLIP-UP FRONT FLAT-TOP RIFLE SIGHT MNT-751 - eBay (item 310104591762 end time Dec-05-08 21:00:00 PST)

Or you could get 3-4 Magpul Pmags: AIM Magpul Polymer 30rd .223 AR15/M16 PMAG Magazine Magpul Polymer 30rd .223 AR15/M16 PMAG Magazine

You could get a tactical laser: AIM Famous Maker Red Laser Tactical Sight Famous Maker Red Laser Tactical Sight

Or any number of things.

People will probably knock the UTG stuff, but I've bought their stuff, and I'm 100% pleased with it--at least until I can afford to spend 3x the money.

The rail is solid, but it's not a free-float rail, and it's probably a little heavier than some higher-cost rails.

Anything from Magpul is going to be top of the line. The MOE looks like the CTR stock, but doesn't have the extra lock that the CTR does, but it's nearly half the cost of the CTR. I think the extra lock is entirely unnecessary anyway though, unless you're looking for something for match shooting... In which case, you should probably get a stock that's geared more toward that kind of shooting.

The flip-up front sight is fine for what it is. You said you already have optics, so it's just a backup sight anyway...

There are plenty of ways to spend $50-$60 that will make you plenty happy. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
559 Posts
my $0.02 deposit---you have $50, so find another $50 and get a YHM free float rail. I immediately found myself looking for rails and lights and lasers and Pmags and all kinds of optics when I bought my AR, but I still have only invested in ammo and Pmags. I know the rail system I'm getting will be a Daniel Defense Omega 7 as I can put it on myself, have an uninterupted rail platform, and free float the barrel. you won't be dis-satisfied with doing a better rail on your gun. You're already covered on optics. If you know a good gunsmith get a good rail. You can spend more $$$ on a non-freefloating rail but I still want the kind I can work on myself in a moments notice--the DD Omega 7 fits the bill for me. Good luck! EBRD is lurking to attack and lay seige to your immune system. Resistance is futile...

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
save the $50 towards something decent, but if it is burning a hole in your pocket :mrgreen: I'd suggest the MIAD grip from Magpul. A big upgrade from the crappy A2 grip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts