Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy came home for the weekend on leave and he brought his new gen4
g17 to the range. I told him about the issues with the gen4s not tryin to be a jerk about it because I too like glocks. He put 100 rounds thru it and had 3 jams and 3 failure to reset on the trigger. He was pissed. But we both agreed that every pistol needs a break in. Either way I'm still stickin to the gen 3s. Just felt like I had to share with everyone.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I can the 3 jams on the gen 4, even more so if he was using 115gr but the trigger failing to reset sounds odd. How was he able to get it to reset and was he short stroking the trigger? I am curious to see what caused that.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
All he has to do is call Glock, and describe the problem. They will send him a #2 recoil spring assembly. Mine has been 100% since installing it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The only pistol I needed to break in was a Walther P22 and then I believe it was a question of low powered bulk ammo. No other gun I have ever owned needed to be broke in. I have never had FTF issues that required any center fire handgun to be shot to smooth the gun to a working condition. XD, S&W, Ruger...Other than a stove pipe from weak range ammo no gun has ever failed me with carry ammo. I have been shooting for 24 years.
I hear from several sources Gen 4's are having issues with recoil springs.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
It's my understanding that those guns with tight tolerances require a break-in period. My old Kimberly UC II for example. Those guns like a Glock or XD with loose tolerances (relatively speaking) not so much. The guns in my sig all worked 4.0 from the first round fired, if you don't count the G19 brass ejecting into my face but since fixed with a LW extractor.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
From what I have read this has been issues with the 17 an 19 only. And they are doing what it takes to fix it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked him about the trigger reset failure and he said he was was goin all the way back with the trigger and he was very p oed and still trying to figure out why it was doin that. it was the first time at the range to with that gun because he just got it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
The only pistol I needed to break in was a Walther P22 and then I believe it was a question of low powered bulk ammo. No other gun I have ever owned needed to be broke in.
Definitely need to break in a KAHR. Very tight and expect some issues for the first 200-300 rounds, then everything smooths out nicely.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
All he has to do is call Glock, and describe the problem. They will send him a #2 recoil spring assembly. Mine has been 100% since installing it.
I agree, Glock has owned up to their screw-up and are more than willing to fix all of the Gen4's for free.
Just call them, change out the spring, change the LCI extractor, and problem solved.

Some a** hole member sold me his "broken" gen4 (he didn't tell me of the function problems). A call to Glock, a few drop in parts, 100% reliable now. The jerk who sold it to me for the cheap thinking he got rid of his lemon. All that really happened was a cheap Glock for me that only cost me a phone call and 30 seconds of my time. So basically, he screwed himself and gave me a helluv a deal! He was just too lazy to call Glock himself...KARMA, gotta love it :cool:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Definitely need to break in a KAHR. Very tight and expect some issues for the first 200-300 rounds, then everything smooths out nicely.

:cool:
Yeah, my Kahr experience was 3 needed a breakin, but the all steel MK did not need any break in. My 1911's, Kimber especially needed break ins. Generally the smaller handguns, pocket pistols need more break in than fullsize ones

·
Registered
345 Posts
I agree, Glock has owned up to their screw-up and are more than willing to fix all of the Gen4's for free.
Just call them, change out the spring, change the LCI extractor, and problem solved.
This seems to be the best thing to do if you have a problem Glock. Do not. I repeat, do not listen to all the Glock fanboys if you happen to do some research on Glocktalk. It's not the ammo, it's not limp-wristing, it's not the gravitational pull of the moon. Glock screwed up. Simple as that. Have your friend call them up and find out what spring he needs. There are a few different versions of RSA as well as 2 different slide versions. Hopefully that should fix his stove piping issue. As sad as it is to say, you can't buy a Glock and be 100% sure it's going to work out of the box. Still a great weapon, they just needed more beta testing before they were released.

Once all the wrinkles are worked out I'm sure your friend will be in love with his boxy plastic fantastic.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I've had zero problems with my Gen 4 G17 and I've put about 350 rounds through it of all types (brass, aluminum and some JHPs). Depending on when his gun was made he may have one with the older recoil spring, but like others have said, a quick phone call to Glock will rectify that. Hope he gets it squared away.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The gen 4s had feeding issues due to the new recoil spring assembly being too stiff. There are tons of fixes out there for that problem.

The other problem that newer 9mm Glocks are having is the erratic ejection issues. This is caused by the poorly made MIM extractors that Glock went to recently.

The recently made 3rd gen guns also have the erratic ejection problems....I have one of those right now.

-brickboy240

1 - 14 of 14 Posts