Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy who wanted to buy my AR (which I'm NOT selling) wants to start 3 gun. He is starting with the AR first. He is thinking about getting a S&W 22 to start. He just wants it to train with and get use to the fundamentals of the AR. He saw one for 300 NIB on GB. I said you could do that or.....

He can buy (or build) the lower that he would use in 3 gun and get two uppers. Get both a 22 upper and a nice 556 upper. Put the sights he wants to use on both then he can train with his 3 gun AR in 22 and then move to the 556.

Ideas?? Am I wrong to tell him this?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Tell him to start with a basic AR first. It took me basically 3 rifles, 5 sighting systems and 2 triggers to finally get it right for me because the truth is, you don't know what you want or what works for you until you've done it for a while and talked with experienced guys and seen what they use and WHY they use those things. There are often techniques to use behind the products' existence, but if you don't know the techniques, you don't know why the products exist.

If you go off half-cocked and trick out an AR because that's what you THINK you want rather than knowing, it will cost you a lot more in the end. A tricked out Frankenbuild is also difficult to sell if you need to sell to start over.

Start simple and basic and figure out what you want over time (or, actually he).

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
People are always selling affordable quality 3 gun rifles on Enos forum.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just tell him to start with a S&W M&P15 Sport. They are resonable priced and can be upgraded. I would steer away from a 22. Ammo is harded to find and in some cases cost more. Train like it was the real thing. Once he gets a few events under his belt and he thinks he will make it a normal thing to do, then I would consider upgrading the rifle. I do mine with a Ruger SR556 with the only upgrades being a stock and EoTech 512 and magnifier. I like the stock trigger. I am going to change my rifle here soon and give it a try with an SBR.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
that stag is one of the prettiest AR's i've ever seen

Yeah it's awesome. I love the handrail. The triangular shape is kind of an acquired feel, but it feels good when you get used to it.

I'll post a pic of my rifle when I go home tonight.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If he has kids, have him sign up for the USPSA junior camp. Through their junior program could buy Colt Competition rifles (a few different models) for excellent discounts....like $700 - $800 off.

I was set on taking advantage of this but was overruled this summer. I am such a wuss:roll: Next year I am going to get one for sure....if she lets me.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Here's my Stag 3T-M. I love it. Just qualified the other day with it. Shoots like a dream, and for the price you get an awful lot of options. As stated before, everything you see was under $1,600.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts