Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, does anyone have any comments about powder coating the slides on the XD's? I purchased a XD9 service used and XD9 subcompact new. The used XD has a uniform reddish tint to it and noticed some rust come through the brand new finish on the subcompact. Now granted I was "mexican" carrying the sub, so it was possibly exposed to body sweat. I take care of my firearms and lube often but not too much. So when I saw the rust coming through on the new subcompact I became concerned very quickly. As for the XD with the reddish tint to it a couple of people have said it could have been contaminated when the finish was applied. I'm not sure if it is rust or not, but something ain't right ya know cause all the others that i've seen are flat black no doubt about it. Anyways my father has had a 1911 powder coated. He told me to watch out for tight tolerances on moving parts since a layer is being added or a thicker one is being laid if they removed the bruniral. I apologize for being long-winded. :roll:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think most everyone who's had a rust issue has been able to get a refinishing (Armory Kote) by Springfield at no charge to them. I would contact SA and see what they say.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yup. I'm sending out my upper & frame metal parts to SA tomorrow (Cheaper shipping than sending a gun). By the way, they said no problem to ArmoryKoting in colors other than black... so the tradeoff to the rust and time it takes to get it fixed is that you can end up with a bit of a custom look.

MC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. I was not aware of SA handling this problem. Beats 125 bucks per gun to powder coat. Cheers :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I dont know how would rate in the warranty dept. And was just wondering if anyone else had a problem like this.Icant tell you how many guns ive owned and used without this EVER happening. "The day I brought home my new xd40. I GUESS my wedding ring scratched or more like (scraped) the finish right off the top of my slide." I ve never had this happen to any gun Ive ever handled. Do you think they would fix it ? Not that i want to have to send it back to S A as its my new daily carry duty gun. Does anyone know if S P or someone offers a touch up kit or like a"blueing marker" to fix scratches before it starts rusting. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
53 Posts
While disassembling my XD I managed to put two small scrathes across the grip serrations. I purchased a bluing marker at Acadamy Sports that effectively covered the scratches and can only be seen when holding the gun at a particular angle, and in good light. No rusting at all, or anywhere else on the gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts