Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, here's my first thread, be nice!

I bought my 9mm XD service model about 3 weeks ago, and have ran about 600 rounds so far. 2 FTEs (I blame stiff magazine springs, but who knows) within the first 100 rounds, but nothing since then...it's eaten mostly WWB FMJ and JHP, and 2 boxes of hydro-shocks just to give them a try.

Like everyone else, I'm looking for cheap, reliable ammo for use at the range, and today I came across "Brown Bear" - I've never heard of it, and searching here and Glock Talk, it doesn't look like anyone else has written about it.

So...does anyone have experience with this Brown Bear ammo? I found it at AIM Surplus for 4.75/50 and 4.50/50 for 20+ boxes. You can check it out here: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Brown_Bear_9mm.html

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Never heard of it, but for $4.75 / 50, what the hell...splurge on a box. If it's good, buy all they got!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I saw some of this stuff at a gunshow. Sounds like Russian Wolf Ammo with a different name. This Bear stuff is made in Russia too. The current production of Wolf has the same steel case but has a improved polymer coating. Brown Bear has the same steel case and no coating like Wolf used to be. If there is a gunshow soon I would get the current production Wolf ammo. It would be a good idea to pick up a box or two and try it our first. That way you won't be stuck with a bunch of ammo you don't like.
www.ammoman.com can ship you a case of 1,000 for $109 (including shipping)
Good luck, shoot safely. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments!

I picked up a couple boxes...figure I have to try it given the prices they're offered at.

I'll write back once I get them in-hand, and see how they perform.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm back from shooting Brown Bear

Sent about 100 rounds down range last night...couple of comments:

-Compared to the WWB, I found it very hard to load my 15rd magazines to capacity - these rounds seemed sticky/bigger almost, though by comparison the appear to be in spec for 'standard' 9mm ammunition

-Sparking - shooting low on the target at an indoor range, I noticed these rounds did some serious sparking once they hit the back stop.

-Muzzle flash - holy cow! Again, compared to my usual WWB rounds, these made it look like I was using a flame thrower. Kinda fun, but they were a pretty dirty round.

Overall, nothing really wrong with the ammo - but for the same price, I'm sticking with the WWB.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've used some Brown Bear ammo in my SKS without any problems. I've only put 50 or so rounds of Wolf through my XD9, but it ate it with no problems.....just like everything else I've fed it :D .

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
The Rusky ammo gets a bad rep in these groups but I think it is undeserved. I never shot Brown Bear, usualy used Wolf. I found Wolf to be very good , reliable, accurate and above all, CHEAP on the pocketbook. It is quality ammo and if you do basic care and maintainance on your gun should pose no problem.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
And I thought this was going to be a post about hunting Brown Bear. :shock:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
R Dub said:

I hope I didn't come off as knocking the Brown Bear...it was fun to shoot...just a bit dirty.

I think that if my local WM doesn't drop the WWB prices (their at 11.74 now...what is up with that??) I'll by more BB...they're the next cheapest that I can find (and like)

·
Registered
39 Posts
manygunner said:
The Rusky ammo gets a bad rep in these groups but I think it is undeserved. I never shot Brown Bear, usualy used Wolf. I found Wolf to be very good , reliable, accurate and above all, CHEAP on the pocketbook. It is quality ammo and if you do basic care and maintainance on your gun should pose no problem.
DITTO!!!! i have ran thousands of brown bear, barnal, and wolf though my makarovs(9x18), without problems. i haven't tried it in the 9mm or .40 cal as of yet.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
mnmark said:
R Dub said:

I hope I didn't come off as knocking the Brown Bear...it was fun to shoot...just a bit dirty.
I meant the Brown Bear with four paws and BIG teeth! :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts