Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may remember a thread in the main forum http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=17886&highlight= - talking about Brown Bear Ammo.

So I was at the range yesterday afternoon with the GF. About 200 rounds in, I take out the last box of BB that I had left from my order a couple months back. She loads up a magazine, gets about 5 rounds out, then:

bang - FTE
clear, re-rack
bang - FTE
clear, inspect magazine, inspect gun, re-rack
GF: "Um, there's a problem"

The slide was frozen. I yanked on it, the range officer(s) took a look, but nothing. She didn't know if the round was live, and I wasn't about to grab my light to look down the barrel. The RO poked around, and 'decided' it was only a casing in there, but it was split. Bummer.

At home I got it apart by forcing the slide back about 1/4, then carefully getting a screwdriver under the back of the slide, right under the firing pin indicator. From there I had enought leverage to rack it back and extract the casing.

Here's the weird thing, and I'll post some pics in a bit...The casing appears to be just fine! I ran and re-ran some snap caps through, and there isn't any issue with them extracting, and nothing appears to be broken.

So...if the casing is intact, what would have caused the slide to freeze up like that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
Just a guess here, but isn't the Brown Bear ammo using steel cases like Wolf ammo. If you got a cartridge that was a bit higher pressure then spec it might have simple swelled that case up enough that is stuck in the chamber. The fact that gun was dirty probably just made that more likely. Steel cases are less forgiving or over pressure then brass cases are. Measure that case with a micrometer or dial caliper and compare it to some brass cases that cleanly ejected from that same gun. I'll bet you will find the steel case is a shade larger in diameter then the brass.

Just a theory
mcb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Often that steel cased ammo has some sort of a coating on the outside of the case as well. If you're gun is getting hot, that coating can start to break down, and that might make it stick in there as well. I've never shot any of that sort of ammo myself, but I'm told it can happen.

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
mcb said:
Just a guess here, but isn't the Brown Bear ammo using steel cases like Wolf ammo. If you got a cartridge that was a bit higher pressure then spec it might have simple swelled that case up enough that is stuck in the chamber. The fact that gun was dirty probably just made that more likely. Steel cases are less forgiving or over pressure then brass cases are. Measure that case with a micrometer or dial caliper and compare it to some brass cases that cleanly ejected from that same gun. I'll bet you will find the steel case is a shade larger in diameter then the brass.

Just a theory
mcb
Yep +1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get some pics up today - although I think it's brass casings, not steel.

The sealant (yes, they're sealed tight) is reddish in color, and around the primer and between the casing/bullet as well.

Of note - when I load the hi-cap mags, you really have to cram the last two or three in there; something definately isn't to spec with them.

The GF works in a lab; maybe she'll agree to take some casings in to measure them "accurately" with their equipment ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thirdtimesthecharm said:
last time u shoot any russian stuff right!
You got it! Back to WWB for me. I guess that's what I get for saving $0.000134 per round :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
ScottQ said:
Often that steel cased ammo has some sort of a coating on the outside of the case as well. If you're gun is getting hot, that coating can start to break down, and that might make it stick in there as well. I've never shot any of that sort of ammo myself, but I'm told it can happen.

Scott
Exactly.... that's why that Wolf, bear, fox **** has the brownish tinge to the casings.

Had a buddy get a 7.62x39 round [empty, guess that makes it a casing, duh :roll: ] get stuck in his paratrooper SKS... he literally had to kick the bolt open after dumping the mag.
He left the other 4 boxes of that crap on the table at the range....
I got a good laugh, telling him that stuff sucks... :lol: not ten minutes before his jam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,534 Posts
EX_DE-NYN said:
Had a buddy get a 7.62x39 round [empty, guess that makes it a casing, duh :roll: ] get stuck in his paratrooper SKS... he literally had to kick the bolt open after dumping the mag.
He left the other 4 boxes of that crap on the table at the range....
I got a good laugh, telling him that stuff sucks... :lol: not ten minutes before his jam

More likely than not he just had laquer buildup in the chamber. A good brushing would have fixed it. No need to have let 80 rnds go to waste. I've shot hundreds of rounds or Wolf through my AK and my SKS w/o scrubbing the chamber for laquer and haven't had a single problem with it.

Little off topic: Has anyone seen the new polymer coated Wolf? Wow that's some slippery stuff. Much better than the laquer. Me likes it. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Stick to WWB or blazer. That stuff runs without much/any issues in XD's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
Soviet gun--Soviet ammo
Non-Soviet gun--Non-Soviet ammo.

It's a plan that has served me well for many, many years.
YMMV!
Works for me! I refuse to shoot Soviet ammo out of anything other than my Makarov(or AK, or SKS).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
That Brown Bear stuff would not work in mine when I had it. I can say this though. It works in my glock now....Not trying to start a flame war here....

My XD would shoot just about anything else though with no problems.

Tom
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top