Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My XD9 service broke last week :cry: . The slide lock lever broke off while I was closing it to chamber a round. Just wondering if its ever happened to any of you. I've got about 5000 rounds through it. About half those are with Don's rod and 22# spring. I always use the lever to close the slide, rather than pull back the slide and release it. I was wondering if the heavier spring (which makes it harder to pull and harder to push the lever down) caused excess wear on the lever? Anyone ever had this part ever break?

I was also curious about SA's service. I spoke with Brandi at customer service. She was nice, but not very forthcoming. I had to ask very specific questions (address to ship to, warranty, shipping reimbusement, how to ship a gun, etc.) because she was very short with her answers. Granted, she coulda been having a bad day. She DID offer to ship me the replacement part, but I can't take my gun apart that far.
I sent the broken piece with the gun, along with a letter stating what happened. Also asked about replacing the recoil spring which is worn. I left my name and number on the paper.

My question is, Does SA call you or otherwise notify you of what they are doing, what is wrong, whether it is warrantied and will reimburse shipping, etc? Or do they just send you back the repaired gun along with either a reimbursement check or a bill?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Using the slide lock lever to chamber a round should have no adverse affect on the parts or the gun. I believe this part is MIM (metal injection molded) and its possibe it could have had a (microscopic like) air bubble in the part when it was made which could have weakend it or something like that. I have never heard of this part breaking before.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think the usual way springfield does things is just ship it back to you fixed but if they need to charge you or there is some issue, they will either email or call you. I think it's likely they will just fix it and send it right back to you.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
chibigui said:
I think the usual way springfield does things is just ship it back to you fixed but if they need to charge you or there is some issue, they will either email or call you. I think it's likely they will just fix it and send it right back to you.
Did you get an rma#?
Save you shipping receipt you will need to submit it for a reimbursement.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks AJames, but I already sent it.

R/T, She wouldn't give me an RMA#. She said they'd have to look at it first to see if it was a warrantied repair. I sent a copy of the shipping receipt with the gun like she suggested, and I kept the original. Just wondering if they'll send the check with the gun cuz it was about 50 bucks to ship!

BTW, AJames, I'll be sending ya both guns for the night sights and the pink duracoat on the service as soon as I get my gun back. It broke right after you got back to me about my questions.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
pink durakote?

hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh yes, I have sent in both my XD guns to get work done before and prior to sending them I got a RMA number in my email. I think it's necessary in order to keep track of them.

It cost fifty dollars to ship your gun? That's really weird. Both times it only cost me $13 dollars for 2nd day express through fedex, they even said I could do it overnight if I wanted to and it wasn't much more, under twenty still. I did sent the entire pistol both times. Maybe you sent your gun in a heavy gun case? I just had them put it in a box full of peanuts and I got five hundred dollars insurance on it and thirteen dollars was all it cost total.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, it was $48 for overnight, the whole gun packed inside a bubble envelope inside a small box. She didn't say to send it however I want, she said to overnight it. I asked her specifically about an RMA# and she said they'd have to see the gun first to determine if it was a warranty issue. I dunno, are they crackin' down, changing policies? Is Brandi new and just doesn't know? Did I get her on a bad day? You guys always say how their customer service is great, but I didn't experience that. I just hope I get my money back is all... 50 bucks is a lotta dough around the holidays!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
R/T, my girl saw that other thread with the pink gunkote and said she had to have it. Told me that if I did that for her she would go shooting more often. How am I gonna say no to that?! She's already telling all her friends about her "pink gun" and I haven't even done it yet! Besides, it just gives me a reason to go buy a new service model. I'm thinkin' about the .45GAP... oooh yeeeaaaah... bi-tone..... aaaahhh...(drool) :)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
gsfmiker said:
yeah, it was $48 for overnight, the whole gun packed inside a bubble envelope inside a small box. She didn't say to send it however I want, she said to overnight it. I asked her specifically about an RMA# and she said they'd have to see the gun first to determine if it was a warranty issue. I dunno, are they crackin' down, changing policies? Is Brandi new and just doesn't know? Did I get her on a bad day? You guys always say how their customer service is great, but I didn't experience that. I just hope I get my money back is all... 50 bucks is a lotta dough around the holidays!
The reason it is overnighted is that it is Federal Law. Unlicensed citizens must mail the gun overnight. Brandi was very helpful to me, she gave me an RMA immediately and told me to send my gun in. However, my gun was left completely stock and the problem I had was not due to misuse or damage that I may have caused, no modifications what so ever, so any warranty violation is out of the question.

·
Registered
309 Posts
"The reason it is overnighted is that it is Federal Law."

Ooops, I think I just broke a Federal Law. I sent mine to Springfield two weeks ago via UPS Ground. It took four days to get there, but it did get there. She did mention something about overnight, but I didn't payattention. Hopefully nobody says anything. :shock:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
steamboatsig""The reason it is overnighted is that it is Federal Law. said:
Seriously? I never knew this. I just sent a pistol to somewhere else UPS Ground as well. I also sent an XD Ground to CC for some work a while ago. Is this true?

·
Registered
43 Posts
gsfmiker said:
Just wondering if they'll send the check with the gun cuz it was about 50 bucks to ship!.
They will not send you a check with your gun. My reimbursement check came a couple of weeks later than my gun.

I also paid $50 to send it overnight. I used UPS. At first I tried it from the UPS Store, but was told they don't accept guns there. They made me take it to the UPS hub where there is a small customer counter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got my gun back!! YAY! Quick too! I sent it overnight on 11/21, and got it back on 11/29 :shock: Keep in mind that this was a holiday weekend too (4 days for most people). Gun is great, they fixed the slide stop lever and put in a new recoil assembly.

The check did not come with the gun :cry: I left a voicemail for SA cuz they closed 5 min after I picked up my box from the hub. I guess I'll get an answer tomorrow.

Very fast service though!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have yet to receive a call on mine.I sent them an email
on 11-26.Received a reply back on 11-28 requesting some
contact info.Sent a reply back same day.Maybe I should
ask for a new locking block and install it myself?That would
probably be way too easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts