Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had a sear spring break. I have apprx. 2100 rounds through my xd-9 service (and love it) and during a range run it quit working. Did the normal tap rack bang but no bang, checked mag seat reload pull trigger and nothing. dropped xd finished course with back up 66. Since triger was not working pulled xd down at range. Upon examination found that the sear spring was missing. I mean completly gone. I have never had it apart other than regular cleaning. Has anyone ever seen this happen. Is it just a freak thing , bad spring , range greminlins or something I need to be concerned about. Called Springfield and they said they haven't heard of it before and that there was no way it could have come out must be owner malfunction, But hey it did and everyone there saw it. I have now replaced the spring , (which was interesting to find around here) used info found here thanks guys and now I have primer drag marks in all my cases. So is this normal and just deal with it or what. I am not new to firearms I am former military and law enforcement have used many different weapon systems in my travels but this one is a new one. Sorry for the long post but really confused. Need help
Thanks, tbird

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Yes the Sear spring and the Trigger spring Grip Safety Spring are all Torsion springs and can break. An Example since you were military....the Berretta 92/m9 has a problem with the trigger springs breaking (same design as an XD) so it is recommended changing at 5000 rounds if it needs it or not. The sear is the same type of angle spring and can break. thats why there are aftermarket strait compression trigger springs for the 92 much more reliable. Here is the conversion I am talking about:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16498/Product/BERETTA_TRIGGER_CONVERSION_UNIT

But only a few people have ever called me to get a replacement sear spring because one broke, maybe 5 since 2003.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I had heard of the trigger spring breaking but not the sear spring.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Are the striker drags more than normal for an XD/XDm or are you just noticing them now? Did you get a stock sear spring weight replacement or a light weight competition spring?

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Another who's never heard of this ... Out of curiosity, where did you get the spring, and do you have a part number ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ajamesp51, yep been there done that had one break at Bragg in 87. we went back to 1911's . One of the reasons I went to the XD other than it fit feels some much better than the Glock was "it is as tough as a Glock" so go figure, thanks for the site.

agalindo, me either have heard of pins and other small things but never sear spring leave it to me to be one of the first.Thanks

Thumperlll, yes the drag is more pronounced now and it was a stock spring replacement. Thanks

AZXD, you will not believe it but found one at the gun show Sat. Dealer had one that one of his customers had run over with a John Deer lawn tractor(man it did a number on the frame and really chewed up the slide) and had a few parts left, he shoots a tactacial in local matches and used what he needed and he sold me the spring. Glad he did I couldn't find where to get a stock spring anywhere. Seems parts are an issue.
Thanks for all the responses going to have to think on it for a while may just have to go back to 66's and 1911's at least I can work on them if need be.
Thanks again.
tbird

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since maybe most of us are not gunsmiths, can you post a photo of the part or location of the part. I don't know what you are talking about, but a picture is worth a 1000 words. Be nice to have back up spares if they break as often as I read about them breaking...same with the pins. Can someone post the common ones with photos and a place to order spares??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Just curious, how difficult is the sear spring to replace in an XD?

I took my Beretta 92 apart and that sear spring is tough to get back in place! Won't do that again!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Since maybe most of us are not gunsmiths, can you post a photo of the part or location of the part. I don't know what you are talking about, but a picture is worth a 1000 words. Be nice to have back up spares if they break as often as I read about them breaking...same with the pins. Can someone post the common ones with photos and a place to order spares??

Thanks.
+1 on that, and I am ordering me that XD/XDM Mat from amazon...can be found here. It shows an exploded view of the gun with all parts labeled...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts