Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit in my XDm 45. However, my thumbs gave out on me in the end before I could finish. I have arthritis and it was just hurting too much, so I wound up taking it to a gunsmith to finish the job. When I brought it in, I had not finished the trigger over travel stop adjustment and the disassembly bar was out of place. After quite some time in the shop, I was told that my gun had a broken grip safety spring and that it was "all jammed up" when I brought it in.

I know for a fact this was not the case. Because the disassembly bar was out of place, it was not activating the disassembler. If I activated the disassembler manually, the trigger functioned and I tested it with the factory trigger just to make sure, since the factory trigger has no over travel stop.

I couldn't imagine how the gun wound up with a broken grip safety spring, since I'd never had that part of the gun apart. The grip safety was working properly when I took it into the gunsmith. The gunsmith told me that he called Springfield about the grip safety spring and they said, "they break all the time". I would have thought if they actually did "break all the time", the gunsmith might consider stocking them, with the popularity of the XDm 45.

I finally got my gun back after several weeks and being told not to call unless they call me. The trigger seems ok. It's not quite what I'd hoped for, but I'm not sure what to do now. It seems much harder than the 3.5 to 4.5 lbs pull that PRP advertises and it seemed very much lighter before I let the gunsmith work on it. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid the $145 I spent on the PRP trigger kit was a waste of money. I think the gunsmith may have swapped out some of the kit for stock parts. The excess travel is definitely gone, but the trigger pull seems almost harder than it did out of the box.

The gunsmith only charged me an hour's labor, which was a fair price. But the stories I heard as to why it was taking so long and what was wrong just don't add up.

If the trigger pull doesn't "break in", I may contact PRP and ask for their suggestions.

Meanwhile, I was curious to know if anyone else had experienced a broken grip safety spring on their XDm or XD, since apparently, "they break all the time".

·
Registered
538 Posts
As a simple layman in these arts, I can't say for sure, but I recall someone saying you could use the factory dual-spring in the trigger assembly instead of the PRP single spring if you wanted a heavier pull. Got some pics of the inside? Maybe he didn't use the PRP springs?

No real clue, just heavin' this in there.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Did you smith know what he was doing? Just cuase he is a smith does not mean he knows what he is doing attempting this trigger job. The PRP kits are quality gear and when installed properly is a vast improvement over stock......like night and day right after the install no need to wait. Sound like your smith screwed things up and you got to be his Guinea pig wile he experimented on your pistol.

The Grip Safety spring can break but not all the time. It sounds like your smith is trying to shift the blame. Think about it why would S.A. admit to anyone that the part breaks all the time, they just opened them selves to all kinds of liability. why would your smith stock this if he has never worked on an XD before.

Check Your Gunsmiths Work

Not all gunsmiths are equal

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you smith know what he was doing? Just cuase he is a smith does not mean he knows what he is doing attempting this trigger job. The PRP kits are quality gear and when installed properly is a vast improvement over stock......like night and day right after the install no need to wait. Sound like your smith screwed things up and you got to be his Guinea pig wile he experimented on your pistol.

The Grip Safety spring can break but not all the time. It sounds like your smith is trying to shift the blame. Think about it why would S.A. admit to anyone that the part breaks all the time, they just opened them selves to all kinds of liability. why would your smith stock this if he has never worked on an XD before.

Check Your Gunsmiths Work

Not all gunsmiths are equal
That's exactly what I was thinking. If I were Springfield and I had a rep telling people our stuff broke all the time, that guy would be looking for a job.

I think my gunsmith did not know what he was doing and fed me a line.

In regards to the early post, the grip safety spring is not part of the PRP trigger kit. I have no idea what they were doing looking in that area of the gun, but I know the grip safety worked fine when I brought it in. There is a little bit of fitting I had to do with the sear to get the grip safety working freely, but that part was done and worked fine.

I'm just about to clean the gun and I'll be taking a look at the parts. I've still got all the factory parts, so I should be able to see if they've changed out any of the kit parts, though I really don't want to go comparing all the springs tonight.

I'm most frustrated at myself for my old thumb not being up to the task anymore. If I'd stuck with it and finished it myself, I wouldn't be going through this right now. Getting old sucks, big time! :cry:

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
It just occurred to me ... That spring has such a low tension, I don't see how it could ever break in normal use.

Yea, your smith probably screwed it up.

Is the XDm spring affixed the same as the XD, or did the back-strap necessitate a change of design ?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Seems you found a hack with a gunsmith sign hung up. Hope he did not damage too much by applying his expertise to something he obviously knows little about. So he 'only' charged an hour to keep your gun about a month, managed to break it while he had it, in an area of the gun he never should have been fumbling with, apparently improperly installed a simple DIY kit and then lied about it and SA's response? A real bargain.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems you found a hack with a gunsmith sign hung up. Hope he did not damage too much by applying his expertise to something he obviously knows little about. So he 'only' charged an hour to keep your gun about a month, managed to break it while he had it, in an area of the gun he never should have been fumbling with, apparently improperly installed a simple DIY kit and then lied about it and SA's response? A real bargain.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, though it was closer to 6 weeks he had the gun. This spring he ordered and said that Springfield says it "breaks all the time" took over two weeks to arrive, in which time I ordered and received two shipments from Springfield.

I also posted about the stainless steel guide rod and the failure to feeds. The guide rod is also from PRP, but I'm beginning to wonder if something in trigger kit installation might have effected the FTF's.

I gave it a thorough cleaning (though it's never been really very dirty) tonight. I don't use much in the way of oil, but I do use M7 and Hoppe's for cleaning with a little Powder Blast in barrel. I also use some spray cleaner called Gun Blast followed up with compressed air. I'll usually give mechanically moving things (except for the striker - I just make sure that's good and clean) a little CLP for good measure, but only slight amounts spread around with a small brush and excess wiped off. I've heard that clean and dry is better than over oiled and I try to maintain a balance between the two.

I don't suppose heat could be a factor? The range I was shooting at that day was having AC problems and it was something like 117 out that day. I was melting.

I'll have to try it out again now that it's thoroughly cleaned and inspected (except I haven't taken the springs out to make sure they're the PRP springs). I'll take it down to my regular range (they don't have a gunsmith there and is why I was using the other range). But they do have good air conditioning! If nothing else, I'll feel better! ;-)

That unexpected fire I think was my fault getting used to the lack of travel after the kit. I was just impressed they darned near went through the same hole! :D It was a fluke, I know, but I'll take it! :rolleyes:

I'm sure the "nice price" from the gunsmith was an effort on his part to keep my mouth shut. But all I really asked him to do was to finish sanding the trigger over travel stop and put the disassembler bar back in place. I would think a real gunsmith could do that in less than an hour, let alone 6 weeks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW - my gun went into the shop with a Hogue Handall grip sleeve and came out without one. Must be in his left over parts bin.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
BTW - my gun went into the shop with a Hogue Handall grip sleeve and came out without one. Must be in his left over parts bin.
And you paid the guy?

these stories are why I have such a hard time taking a gun to a smith who SAYS they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My grip safety spring broke after about 20,000 rounds through my XD9. Springfield had a new one to me in 5 days. Aside from disabling one of the safeties the gun still functioned fine. Not to be negative, but I think the smith was handing you a line of excuses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts