Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been upgrading my XDm 5.25 competition 9mm. Tonight I got a new coiled retainer pin from pistolgear.com. As I was driving the old pin out from the bottom (as I am supposed to, I watched the PRP youtube video) the punch somehow wedged inside the old pin and broke. It is REALLY wedged in there :confused:? About 2 mm of the punch are hanging out of the bottom and about 1 mm of the pin are hanging out of the top. I have tried wrenching it out, oiled it, it will not budge. Any ideas? Did I just ruin my new $750 gun (only shot one time) with a brand new $170 trigger (never shot)? I am hopeful someone has a good idea. It was a crazy fluke that this happened but I don't want to lose a new gun because of it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
maybe put it in the freezer over night and see if the cold will make the metal contract/shrink enough to get it loose. I'm sure there is a better answer but it could be worth a shot.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Step 2. Buy better punch set before trying this again. (Maybe your puch set is good and it was just a fluke)
Can you tap the roll pin back down from the top and drive the broken punch out? Maybe tape around the pin on top of the slide so you don't mark up the finish if you miss or if the pin drives back in. Maybe tgry this after the freezer treatment? Good luck

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
First, $750 for a 5.25 is pretty high. Second, use a new punch and hit it at a slight angle. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
First, $750 for a 5.25 is pretty high. Second, use a new punch and hit it at a slight angle. You'll be fine.
^^lol...

there is also the option of trying another, harder punch and the BFH?

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
OP, will you post some pics, please?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the punch out. I let it soak in oil overnight and I used a smaller nail (didn't have a smaller punch) and hammered it back out of the bottom (backtracked it). The gun fully cycles and dry fires normally. My wife was right, she said go to bed and work on it when you are not pissed off. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, I was too frustrated. Now I need to figure out how to get the pin out. Maybe I send it to PRP and have them do it as well as pick up a few more parts they can throw in :)

I used a regular punch, should have purchased the roll pin punches.

I think I payed $725 actually and it was for the stainless. That was the least expensive I found, I checked about 6 stores in Washington. The online stores charge transfer fees and tax (new Washington law). Where have you found it for cheaper?

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
Glad to hear that you worked it out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I have something that stuck, I turn to the hydraulic press. The movement is slow and predictable. Last time, I simply walked into harbor freight and used the one on the demo floor. Worked great.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Are you talking about the roll pin that goes through the slide and retains the striker in the slide? If you are I almost did the same thing on my XD45c I had. I used the small punch I got in the set from PRP and it got wedged in the pin. If you're talking about he same pin as I am then you can use a regular punch but it has to be a 3/32 punch. If I would have kept the gun I was planning on getting the higher quality roll pins from Pistolgear.com

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
I got the punch out. I let it soak in oil overnight and I used a smaller nail (didn't have a smaller punch) and hammered it back out of the bottom (backtracked it). The gun fully cycles and dry fires normally. My wife was right, she said go to bed and work on it when you are not pissed off. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, I was too frustrated. Now I need to figure out how to get the pin out. Maybe I send it to PRP and have them do it as well as pick up a few more parts they can throw in :)

I used a regular punch, should have purchased the roll pin punches.

I think I payed $725 actually and it was for the stainless. That was the least expensive I found, I checked about 6 stores in Washington. The online stores charge transfer fees and tax (new Washington law). Where have you found it for cheaper?
Ahh, bitone.

Springfield XDM 40 S&W 5.25 Competition Bi-Tone | Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore

My transfer fee is a flat $25. Taxing online purchases sucks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
^ lol at wife. Mine is the same way. She knows to leave me alone when I am pissed and trying to work an issue (I'm hard headed.) She knows not to say " are you done yet?" Or "how much longer?" She too gives the same advice after a while.

Glad you got it resolved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts