Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my first IDPA today. I fired my first ever shot from a handgun about a month and a half ago. I've shot in 2 weekly IPSC style matches, but that's the extent of my competition style shooting experience. The rest of my shooting has been standing in an indoor range stall trying to learn how to aim

I did decent through the first 4 stages, but then ran into trouble.

All of stage 5 was seated in a "car" (wood cutout side of car, you're in a chair shooting through it's window). I've never shot seated before, which wasn't too bad. But that same stage had one of those pinwheel trees with the 5 plates on it that spins after you hit some plates off. First time ever shooting one of those, and first time ever shooting at a moving target. Wasn't too pretty. Oddly I took about 7 shots at the 2nd plate before hitting it while the tree was barely spinning. After hitting that plate I hit the last 3 on the first shot which surprised me.

Stage 6 was a 2 part stage, first part was only strong hand. Second part was only weak hand. I have never shot one handed, even strong hand one handed. I've pretty much spent all my time at the range just trying to learn to aim. This stage also wasn't pretty. The closer strong handed targets I did ok, the further ones I got one hit on each and missed the second shot (limited vickers, 2 shots total at each target). The left hand was a little uglier. I hit 2 shots in the closest target (-1, -3), and completely missed the last 3 targets. After I was done I just stood by the scorer and laughed as everyone called out my scores.

I definitely enjoyed the IDPA event, but I believe I'll like my first IPSC event even more. The weekly match that I've been shooting follows IPSC rules, I think I like the slightly more lenient rules of the IPSC more.

I have the bug for sure. I'm planning on shooting IDPA and IPSC at this club, most of the weekly matches, and IDPA in Orlando.

·
Registered
170 Posts
And that is exactly why competitions are so much fun. You get to do all sorts of things that challenge you and your ability to shoot and think. Glad you enjoyed it and if you're not having fun you are probably doing it wrong!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Glad you had fun and you learned a very important lesson. If you are gonna play gun games you will have to become accustomed to shooting weak hand only and strong hand only. Both IDPA and USPSA throw that at you. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I figured they would throw the one handed shooting at me, I was just kind of hoping they wouldn't do it for my first one. oh well. I definitely wasn't trying to be competitive, right now these games are completely for fun and for learning how to shoot in ways that I might actually use in a real life situation. I'll keep going to the range to get my accuracy down, but it seems to me that most gun owners should be required to attend at least one or two of these gun games so that they can understand that they really can't shoot as well as they think they can. And so they can learn ways to save their life if they ever actually have to defend themselves, instead of only knowing how to stand still and shoot a paper target that's sitting static 20 feet in front of them .

I'm sure that one day I'll get competitive in these games, I can't play a game too long without eventually trying to win.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Lakeland and would LOVE to get into some IDPA and/or IPSC shooting sports.

Where do you go?

/Bought an XDm 3.8 .40S&W 4wks ago.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Lakeland and would LOVE to get into some IDPA and/or IPSC shooting sports.

Where do you go?

/Bought an XDm 3.8 .40S&W 4wks ago.

I go here. Welcome to WAC Action Shooting. It's on the east side of Pinellas.

You might be closer to this gun range in Orlando. CFRPC-Welcome
I haven't been there yet but I've heard good things about their competitions

There's also a range in Frostproof, fairly close to lakeland. It's going to be home to a big IDPA competition. 3 different matches, first is July 30th

idpatriplecrown.com

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Good for you! I love action shooting too.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
I go here. Welcome to WAC Action Shooting. It's on the east side of Pinellas.

You might be closer to this gun range in Orlando. CFRPC-Welcome
I haven't been there yet but I've heard good things about their competitions

There's also a range in Frostproof, fairly close to lakeland. It's going to be home to a big IDPA competition. 3 different matches, first is July 30th

idpatriplecrown.com
I used to shoot there when I was younger. I may have to go out there and check out their matches one day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts