Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already talked to SA and shipped the gun back at their expense. Customer service has been excellent so far. Very happy.

Gun is an XD-40 subcompact. Older model, with the finish that was having surface rust before i refinished it.

Rust in the photos is from everyone touching the broken barrel. It was not neglected before it broke.

·
Registered
265 Posts
@darkvibe

Hi, sorry to hear that, but may I ask, approximately how many rounds did it take for that lug to break off.TIA:confused:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
How did it break off? taking down the gun, firing it? Just curious what stressed it to that point.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Let us know how it happened and what SA replied.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late reply.

I don't count rounds but adding up my weekly shooting plus pistol classes and matches I have somewhere around 30,000 rounds through it :)

I was shooting defensive pistol (a lot like IDPA) when it broke. The gun didn't fire so I tapped, racked and then the trigger was mush, not even a click. Without the barrel lug the barrel comes back with the slide so it won't eject the empty or anything. Finally got the barrel pushed down so we could hold it forward while pulling the slide back so I could take it apart and see what happened. Wasn't a big deal when it happened, I thought it was something minor until I got it apart.

SA actually called me today. They replaced the barrel and locking block under warranty and gave me a new recoil spring assembly at my request. That was $30 I think. Not bad, they received it last Tuesday and called me 7 business days later saying it was done. They'll ship it next Tuesday for a Thursday delivery.

Thumbs up to SA customer service.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
:shock: Wow! 30K+ is allot of rounds. I think I shall pick up a EFK Firedragon barrel for my sc, why I can keep driving while my new one shipps if this was to ever occur for me.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Wow 30k rounds? I was kind of worried until I read that part! I should be good for 28,000 more rounds.

How old is your pistol?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't remember how old the pistol is. Maybe 6 years? Something like that.

I know I had the old finish on the slide and that was always rusting until I hit it with gun-kote.

No idea what's on the barrel, I'm not familiar with what SA put on them over the years. It's got a gray/black finish on it, or at least it did before it all wore off from use.

I never had rust of the barrel until after it broke. I always keep a light coat of oil on it though. After I broke it about 15 people wanted to see it and then I put it in a plastic bag for about a week before I called SA. When I took it out there was some rust on it. I'm sure a little 0000 steel wool and oil would have taken it off anyway.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Was that 30k on the original recoil spring too?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can't remember how old the pistol is. Maybe 6 years? Something like that.

I know I had the old finish on the slide and that was always rusting until I hit it with gun-kote.

No idea what's on the barrel, I'm not familiar with what SA put on them over the years. It's got a gray/black finish on it, or at least it did before it all wore off from use.

I never had rust of the barrel until after it broke. I always keep a light coat of oil on it though. After I broke it about 15 people wanted to see it and then I put it in a plastic bag for about a week before I called SA. When I took it out there was some rust on it. I'm sure a little 0000 steel wool and oil would have taken it off anyway.
Thanks for the reply. It might be a pre-Melonite pistol as they started in 2006. I am going to have to find out a little more about the barrels. I have just assumed they are treated too.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply. It might be a pre-Melonite pistol as they started in 2006. I am going to have to find out a little more about the barrels. I have just assumed they are treated too.
It's definitely pre-melonite. I'm positive I bought the gun in late 2005 looking at the dates on my pistol permits.

Picked up the gun yesterday at FedEx.

The backstrap safety is all floppy. I assume they took the whole gun apart because it wasn't like that when I sent it in. I have to take it apart and look but I think they put it in without the spring :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Damn 30k rounds isn't all that much. Not enough imo for barrel lugs to break off. I think its probably a freak thing. I'm glad that they took care of you like that and didn't give you crap about refinishing it. Enjoy throwing rounds again!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not throwing any rounds just yet. Still waiting for the grip safety spring. SA took care of me once again. Took my info, asked if I needed it installed (I don't) and is getting me one in the mail.

SA has some of the best customer service i've ever experienced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts