Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally got my hands on a Glock 20! I've been wanting one for a LONG time, and it's finally found its home. Had to trade my G19 for it, though...but all in all I think it's worth it :mrgreen:

Conceals incredibly well in my supertuck, really not much more noticeable then my G19. And 16 rounds of 10mm isn't anything to laugh at! Now on to the range to feel this baby kick!

Any opinions on good SD rounds in 10mm? Not looking for any baby stuff...tell me some good full boat loads that'll make me smile after emptying a mag :twisted: How well do those high power loads work with the Glock barrel?

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Maybe Luvmypsig can chime in but I think he recommended some type of SD round from Hornaday.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I enjoy my G20. One thing I can't get used to though, is shooting it right after shooting my XD40. The triggers are so different on the two that I have to sit and dry fire the Glock a dozen times or so first to get used to the trigger. Never fails.

I use Winchester Silvertips for the 10mm Glock. Have shot CorBon and Blazer without any problems. Shooting it really doesn't feel all that much different than my XD40. It's a little hotter, but not much.

Unless you reload, I think about the hottest loads you're going to find in 10mm are either Double Tap or Buffalo Bore.

I've got some of the Double Tap ammo on the way - I'm hoping it's got more boom than the 10mm loads I can find in any local stores.

I found the G20 fits very well in my Crossbreed Supertuck (originally fitted for the XD40 Service). It conceals about the same.

~ Centerfire

·
Registered
295 Posts
Awesome! more 10mm folks. I've done a lot of thinking about a G20, but I'm still holding out for the reissued Colt Delta Elite, which has been delayed till Jan 09. Enjoy!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can the stock Glock barrels handle the hotter loads without damaging the case/gun?
Can't say I've got loads of experience with my Glock to respond with a qualified answer, but I'll offer this:

I've saved all of the cases for when I get around to reloading. I've inspected them a bit and noticed that the entire bottom of the case is slightly (ever so slightly) bulged when shot out of the stock Glock barrel. Didn't matter which brand; Winchester, CorBon, Blazer. I talked with a local gun shop about it and asked if it was worth saving the brass shot out of a stock Glock 10mm if I was planning to reload with it. They said yes, your just not going to get as many reloads out of it as you would if you were shooting with an aftermarket barrel.

I finally ordered a Lone Wolf 10mm barrel (was only $100) just because I wanted to see how much of a difference it would make on the brass. I was quite surprised. I noticed two significant differences between the Lone Wolf and the stock Glock barrels: 1.) The LW barrel does, in fact, more fully support the case. You can verify this by removing the barrels from the gun and dropping a cartridge into each. Much less of the side of the case is exposed with the LW barrel. 2.) The LW chamber seems to be slightly more narrow than the stock Glock. With a cartridge in each, shaking them results in visual movement of the cartridge in the stock barrel, not so much so with the LW.

Upon inspection of the brass having been shot out of the LW barrel, it is easy to see the brass is hardly bulged at all, compared to the brass that was fired from the stock barrel. Though I haven't shot any of the really hot loads, I don't think "smileys" from the unsupported chamber on the stock barrel is as much of a problem as the looser tolerances on the diameter of the chamber.

One note when shooting from the LW barrel: The very first time I racked the slide with the LW barrel installed, it jammed. The cartridge didn't much like the feed ramp and seemingly tighter dimensions of the chamber. Odd thing was, I fired a few hundred rounds through the LW barrel after that without a hitch. It was the first failure of any kind I had though, so it was a bit unnerving. Made me want to only use the aftermarket barrel at the range, but keep the stock for carry purposes.

In regards to damaging the gun - I wouldn't worry about it with factory loads. Reloading super hot loads may be a different story.

A side note: One thing I thought was really odd was the spring in the G20 is MUCH lighter than the spring in my XD40. (stock glock is 17 lbs, vs 22 on the XD, I believe) Even after purchasing a 22 lb after-market spring for the Glock, it is still WAY easier to rack the slide on the Glock than it is on the XD. I don't know why. I thought the spring would be stiffer on the 10mm...

~ Centerfire

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was considering an aftermarket barrel...hopefully I can find one that doesn't have the lame logo on top :rolleyes:

I did notice the slide was very easy to move, and that when the trigger is full forward, I can actually move the slide back a bit almost effortlessly. Doesn't go out of battery or anything, but it still struck me as odd.

Hopefully have pics up tonight...can't find my memory card!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The nice thing about the G20 is that there are SO many aftermarket items for it. If you want other barrels or calibers you can try Lonewolf and get:

* A standard length 10mm

* A 6 inch 10mm

* A standard length 40 S&W

* A 6 inch 40 S&W

* A standard length 357 sig

* A 6 inch 357 sig

* A standard length 9x25 Dillon

* A 6 inch 9x25 Dillon

More fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Brian

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The nice thing about the G20 is that there are SO many aftermarket items for it. If you want other barrels or calibers you can try Lonewolf and get:

* A standard length 10mm

* A 6 inch 10mm

* A standard length 40 S&W

* A 6 inch 40 S&W

* A standard length 357 sig

* A 6 inch 357 sig

* A standard length 9x25 Dillon

* A 6 inch 9x25 Dillon

More fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Brian
Hey....a 9x25 doesn't sound half bad! I've seen the longer barrels, but I just don't like the look. I figured I'd grab a .40 barrel as well, might as well.

Any mag changes needed for 9x25 or .40?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey....a 9x25 doesn't sound half bad! I've seen the longer barrels, but I just don't like the look. I figured I'd grab a .40 barrel as well, might as well.

Any mag changes needed for 9x25 or .40?
Ok, so this is an old thread - perhaps you've already got an answer to your question...

If not: No mag changes necessary for the 9X25 or .40 in a Glock 20. I don't actually have a .40 barrel for the G20, but I do have a 9X25 (wanted the 6", accidentally ordered the 4" and didn't feel like going through the hassle of sending it back). Have only shot the Double Tap 90gr Speer GD with it, but no problems yet. Insane muzzle flash! Good fun!

~ Centerfire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts