Springfield XD Forum banner

Breaking in a leather holster...?

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  HardRockXD 
#1 ·
Just got the Done Hume IWB holster, basic, simple, great.

Really hard to draw out of and reholstering is even harder. I understand this is standard for leather holsters, are there any tips/tricks other than just holstering and pulling the weapon out? Saddle soap? or Mall Ninja Dust?

I am also noticing my front sight (TFOs) are 'gathering' leather particles when i draw the gun, that will decline as I break it in?

#2 ·
I bought a Done Hume OWB holster and I have the same issues of my front sight scraping the inside. I have a Fist IWB and its not an issue, glad to see its not just me.
Coat your gun with a light coating of oil and slip it into the bag that the holster came in and then slip the gun and bag into your holster and let it set for a day or two, it should fit better after that. Also, i spray the inside of my holsters with silicone oil.

#3 ·
Chrome - I still have one of those Don Hume IWB holsters although I started using a Comp-Tac C-TAC a while back. My Don Hume was well broken in but it was still hard to reholster...something about the shape of the holster...not sure really.

brad cook

#4 ·
Something to try is to put your gun in a few of those plastic grocery bags, then insert the gun into the holster. Leave over night. The extra material will start to stretch the leather, loosening it up a bit.

Old School

Note: Do not store you gun in bags if the gun is wet or the area is damp. :)

#6 ·
ichy_trigger said:
Also, i spray the inside of my holsters with silicone oil.
If you have a hand boned/detailed holster you really shouldn't apply anything that will soften the leather as you can begin to lose the detail. This detail is a big part of the retention and you don't want the holster too loose.

Like was said above put your gun in the bag the holster came in and put the combination into the holster and store it that way for a short period.

#7 ·
mpholic said:
ichy_trigger said:
Also, i spray the inside of my holsters with silicone oil.
If you have a hand boned/detailed holster you really shouldn't apply anything that will soften the leather as you can begin to lose the detail. This detail is a big part of the retention and you don't want the holster too loose.

Like was said above put your gun in the bag the holster came in and put the combination into the holster and store it that way for a short period.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I use a DRY silicone spray, sorry. It comes out wet but the carrier evaporates leaving a thin coat of silicone behind.

#9 ·
call me a jack a$$ but i dipped my leather holster in boiling hot water with a pair of tongs and i had the gun already wrapped in plastic and stuck it in the holster and left for a day or so. thats just me if chose to do it thats up to you some people would never do that

#12 ·
another thing to try is if its a belt holster, run your belt through the loops and then through the buckle. pull it really tight and then wrap the rest of the belt around the holster. thats what i did with my galco for a couple nights and now its smooth as ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.