Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myth or Truth...It's not ok to break in a gun (less than 250 rounds) using hollow point ammunition? If so, why? Reason I ask is I have 200 .40 cal JHPs sitting around, and I just bought my XDm 40 and wanted to put some lead down range to begin breaking the weapon in. I look forward to your expert input my fellow brothers in arms....:D

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Guns don't need "break in" s Shoot what you want in it.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Some guns have a number of rounds listed as being required for break in. Typically, those are very tight custom guns that cost big bucks.

The XD line is not in that category. It's made to eat anything and like it.

If you can afford to only shoot JHP's, then go for it. Most of us have to shoot the cheap stuff primarily.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
There are some that will say that you shouldnt and some will say it ok...

If you want to shoot the JHP you have,do so...
The reason that most use FMJ to break in a new gun is cheaper and the nose of the bullit will break in the feed ramp,but you can do that your self by using a piece of 400grit wet sand paper then use some 1000grit then 2000grit...then buff...it out to a mirror finish..

Just my 2cents

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
The only thing that will really get "broken in" is the trigger. The guide rod, a few areas on the barrel and inside surface of slide will show wear, but these are areas unaffected by bullet type. The feed ramp on my XDm shows no wear after about 1200 rounds. Since life is better after the trigger works out any kinks, I say shoot 'em if you got 'em.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
A properly designed and assembled mechanical device does not need to be broken in ... Period !!!

It has been this way almost since the dawn of the mechanical age.

If anything, modern manufacturing practices have only improved this realization.

The only people who will tell you different are a few manufacturers who want you to finish their polishing/mating of features, process.

Think about an engine,
A firearm does not have the high cyclic rate that an engine has, yet once the mating surfaces of a cam and lifter are set, you can romp the crap out of the engine, and it really won' affect it's longevity ... Think about what a drag racer subjects an engine too.

A firearm,
Based on modern manufacturing techniques, has a zero time-frame break in period.

Of course there are exceptions, but typically ... If it meets the engineering drawing specifications, it's good to go ;)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
A properly designed and assembled mechanical device does not need to be broken in ... Period !!!

It has been this way almost since the dawn of the mechanical age.

If anything, modern manufacturing practices have only improved this realization.

The only people who will tell you different are a few manufacturers who want you to finish their polishing/mating of features, process.

Think about an engine,
A firearm does not have the high cyclic rate that an engine has, yet once the mating surfaces of a cam and lifter are set, you can romp the crap out of the engine, and it really won' affect it's longevity ... Think about what a drag racer subjects an engine too.

A firearm,
Based on modern manufacturing techniques, has a zero time-frame break in period.

Of course there are exceptions, but typically ... If it meets the engineering drawing specifications, it's good to go ;)
+1

Took the words right out of my mouth...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1

Took the words right out of my mouth...
Perfect...you hear the "break in period" thrown around a lot on these forums and I wanted some opinions on why many feel that way, so far no one on this thread has recommended a break in period.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
but typically ... If it meets the engineering drawing specifications, it's good to go ;)

Just remember that fully 50% of the engineers were in the bottom half of their graduation class!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
942 Posts
dont Kimbers require a Break in?
Or are they just breakin?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Perfect...you hear the "break in period" thrown around a lot on these forums and I wanted some opinions on why many feel that way, so far no one on this thread has recommended a break in period.
Yeah a gun like the XD doesn't need to be broken in. I do like to put around 500 rounds through a gun before I begin to carry it though. Not because I want to break it in but because I want to be totally familiar with it.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Yeah a gun like the XD doesn't need to be broken in. I do like to put around 500 rounds through a gun before I begin to carry it though. Not because I want to break it in but because I want to be totally familiar with it.

This ^^

I only "break in" carry guns; not as a performance thing, but for familiarity and reliability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts