Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering which to get to have waiting for my new XD when the 10 day waiting period is over early next week (is it next week yet?). Up to this point I've rubbed Hoppes solvent on patches on my long-guns but want something that does a good quick job for cleaning my xd after a day of shooting. I'll probably follow either the CLP or Gun Scrubber with a boresnake, oil her up and go. I'm also considering getting the 3 pack from pistol-gear for and occasional deeper cleaning. I also have some Birchwood and Casey rust preventitive spray (forgot what it's called) that I could use and have a couple silicon cloths that I plan to wipe the gun with after each use. My what are your preferences?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I did a ton of searches and read all about "cleaning" the XD on these forums (thanks you guys very much), and wanted to make clear that my question is regarding your opinion of CLP vs. Gun Scrubber, not necessarily any other information about cleaning other products. Thanks, nocalkind

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
CLP is a combination Cleaner, Lube and Protectant.

Gun Scrubber is basically like a Carb Cleaner for getting the gunk out. No Lube or Protectant properties involved.

These product perform different duties and I don't see a comparison. I have never really considered Break Free CLP as a cleaner, although it is marketed as such. The Birchwood Casey product that you didn't know the name of is "Sheath". (Never tried it)

I say get both and use them as a team. I also use Tetra Gun Lube and it's really been one of the best products I've ever used. Very slick and it protects my finish.

What I do:
1. Drop magazine:
2. Check chamber to make sure pistol is unloaded.
3. Dissasemble into major components. (follow instructions that came with your XD)
4. Dry brush all areas where gunk accumulates and wipe clean with a dry cloth.
5. Put some solvent on a good gun brush and wet scrub all dirty areas.
6. Spray gun scrubber to clear out the areas just brushed. (Wear eye protection)
7. Wipe down with another clean cloth.
8. Put some good quality oil on a Q-tip and oil areas that will benefit from lube. (Slide surfaces and areas where you can see that 2 surfaces are rubbing against each other, also lightly around the outside of the barrel.
9. Reassemble and work the slide a few times to spread the lube evenly.
10. Put a small amount of oil on a silicone cloth and wipe down the outer surfaces.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use a copper removing bore foam first, because fmj or jhp's leave copper fouling in the bore. If you use a copper remover, make sure you use nylon/plastic brushes and jags, the copper in the brass will break down if you use brass brushes and jags. After that I do all my cleaning with CLP, been using it solely forever and a day now. If you use CLP make sure you shake it well before you use it, it has PTFE (teflon) that settles on the bottom of the can. Everybody has thier favorites, and this is mine. Sometimes, if I know I'll be shooting alot in between cleanings, I'll wipe on a bit of clean, fresh Mobil 1 motor oil (with a q-tip) on the contact points for lubricant, it stays on forever and doesn't splash much if it squeezes out of the cracks.But, any combination that you use, as long as they're from a quality company, you'll do fine.

http://myadultmegasite.com
http://killcable.com

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
hobocircus said:
Gun Scrubber is basically like a Carb Cleaner for getting the gunk out. No Lube or Protectant properties involved.
yup

i use brake cleaner.... its like 50cents a can, isntead of a few dollars for the same stuff (gun scrubber). then just lube it up.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Make sure it's non-chlorinated brake cleaner. But it's the same stuff gun cleaning companies rip you off with, just cheaper.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Another tip, instead of a Q-Tip, use an eyeshadow applicator, Walmart has like 10 for a buck or two, since they're foam you don't get any lint and they're thinner and can get in groves.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
ampleworks said:
Another tip, instead of a Q-Tip, use an eyeshadow applicator, Walmart has like 10 for a buck or two, since they're foam you don't get any lint and they're thinner and can get in groves.
Oooooo! :shock: good idea! Thanks McGuyver! I'm gonna pick some up later. :lol:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
jnclement said:
Make sure it's non-chlorinated brake cleaner. But it's the same stuff gun cleaning companies rip you off with, just cheaper.
Why non-chlorinated? Just curious. The Gunscrubber stuff is quite chlorinated, read the label. I only use it to degrease new guns or after a complete overhaoul cleaning before lubing. I also use nitrile rubber gloves, long sleeves and a full face shield to avoid as much splash as possible, the stuff is nasty.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
OOPs, forgot. I use MPro-7 and CLP on my guns. MPro goes on the barrel only, CLP for everything else.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
manygunner
the stuff is nasty
I took a direct hit too my left eye when the spray richochetted off my gun. Believe me it's no fun! :x Wear Goggles! :shock:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
hobocircus said:
Oooooo! :shock: good idea! Thanks McGuyver! I'm gonna pick some up later. :lol:
I always made it a point to buy a bottle of Hoppes #9 when buying eyeshadow applicators...it helps your story when some cute little 19 year old is ringing you up and she gives you the gay eye because you're buying eyeshadow applicators. :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hobocircus said:
5. Put some solvent on a good gun brush and wet scrub all dirty areas.
quote]

Thanks for the responses. Maybe I will get both. Which "solvent" do you use? Are you referring to the CLP? Hoppes #9? Also, would a Hoppes brass 9mm brush qualify as a "good brush"? If I get the 3 pack from pistol-gear will the "Blue Wonder" used to clean the barrel dissolve a brass brush? When you say to scrub the dirty areas dry first, do you mean with brass bristles or with a nylon/toothbrush type?

PS the "Sheath" stuff seems to have prevented further rust from developing on my Remington 870, though it's only been a couple months using it. Before that, that shotgun would rust if I didn't wipe it down with oil a couple times a week. Think I should just use the Sheath to prevent rust on my XD, or go with the armadillo wax? thanks again...nocalkind

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
For solvent, I am using Hoppes or Outers and it is with a military issue nylon brush, but any stiff toothbrush will do fine. Going back to my first step, I use a clean or semi clean nylon brush without any solvent on it. This way any particles are loosened up and brushed away. The next step is using solvent and then its the Gun Scrubber (carb cleaner) to wash away all solvent and dirt. Let it thoroughly dry and use a Q-tip (make-up stick) to lube moving parts and where the slide meets the frame..
I've never really found it necessary to use a brass (bronze) brush to scrub my pistol bore. I shoot maybe a maximum of 50 to 100 rounds per session and just a few wet patches with solvent and my bore is clean as can be.

dsg2003gt said:
i use clp soley as well. I may go out and buy some break cleaner for doing the barrel after reading this though.
Brake Cleaner/ Carb Cleaner isn't going to help your bore much, I would use commercial grade bore solvent (cuts copper fouling, no matter how minute)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to be clear, are you using CLP on the qtip to lube the moving parts after you clean it with Gun Scrubber or a different lube? Do you spray the outside/inside of the slide with CLP to prevent rust? Thanks for all your responses yet again, nocalkind

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Going waaay back to my previous post:

What I do:
1. Drop magazine:
2. Check chamber to make sure pistol is unloaded.
3. Dissasemble into major components. (follow instructions that came with your XD)
4. Dry brush all areas where gunk accumulates and wipe clean with a dry cloth.
5. Put some solvent on a good gun brush and wet scrub all dirty areas. (don't forget the bore of your barrel and the chamber)
6. Spray gun scrubber to clear out the areas just brushed. (Wear eye protection)
7. Wipe down with another clean cloth.
8. Put some good quality oil on a Q-tip and oil areas that will benefit from lube. (Slide surfaces and areas where you can see that 2 surfaces are rubbing against each other, also lightly around the outside of the barrel.
9. Reassemble and work the slide a few times to spread the lube evenly.
10. Put a small amount of oil on a silicone cloth and wipe down the outer surfaces.

I am using Tetra Gun Lube on a Q-tip to lube moving parts and slide to frame contact surfaces. The Tetra again or any other good lube/oil/CLP on a Silicone cloth to wipe down outer metal surfaces. :) I've been cleaning like this for years have had no problems. I spend almost 1/2 hour for pistols and up to an entire hour or more for semi auto rifles. Simple mechanisms like bolt actions can be done much sooner. I find that less oil is better than too much oil. Don't gum up the works!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts