Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my new XD-9 bi-tone is on the way, what are your recommendations for breaking it in? Specifically:

1. What do I need to do to the pistol after I pick it up but before I head to the range besides field stripping and wiping off the excess oil?
2. Is WWB 115 gr FMJ ammo okay for break in or should I have ammo with a heavier bullet?
3. What is a good brand of gun care and cleaning kit?

Any other thoughts or tips you'd like to share will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've never "broken in" a pistol, only rifles. I don't know about wiping of excess oil on a new gun, all of the pistols I have bought new just got un-boxes, loaded, and shot. Never had a problem, lately I clean them all with a can of carb or brake cleaner and then a *very* light spray of rem oil. Otherwise I run my guns dry.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
I have a service .40 I bought it at a local range/dealer and once the paper work was complete I took 200 rounds of WWB ammo and started blasting. The excess oil was all over my face but was not much. I wouldn't see a problem with 115 gr. ammo and finally I use break free clp for cleaning, I hear Blue Wonder products are great but I haven't used them yet. I do recommend armadillo though it works great.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"...what are your recommendations for breking it in? Specifically:"

Personally would clean the bbl. Dry fire it a lot at home and cycle the slide a good bit.
Leave the pistol with the slide locked back when not in use for a while. Helps the recoil spring begin to take its "set". Keep the mags loaded for same reason and only insert as many rounds into them as can with out forcing. Eventualy they will accept the full compliment of rounds without forcing.

WWB is fine. Can't rec. a cleaning kit as buy all own stuff separately. Can rec. Shooters Choice solvent highly. It's what the Bench Rest crowd use's around here {along with Kroil} and seems to be a good balance of not to harsh chemicals while doing a good job in a reasonable amount of time. Personally use a very stiff rod with a spear-jag and patches. Almost never need to resort to a brush.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Field strip and wipe all oil off all metal surfaces and apply EEZOX liberally. Wipe to thin film and let dry overnight. Come back and wipe once more. Put gun together and fire away. Afterwards leave slide locked as mentioned in another post and load mags as needed. You have got to try EEZOX. It dries and doesn't hold dirt. Sent some with a SOPMOD M-16 accessories to Iraq. Great results from the use with our heroes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts