Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster and wanted to get some reaction from those of you with more experience with the XD here. I've fired several different XDs in the past, one .45, one .40 and a few different 9mm. Liked the feel of the gun and the accuracy of the ones I tried so finally decided to purchase an XD 9mm Tactical for target shooting. Went to the range today to break it in with 50 rounds of Win 115gr. Would have shot more but only had limited time.

I have to say I was a little disappointed. First round out was a total flier, next few weren't much better, finally settled into 3"-4" groups at 10 yards. I'm not too concerned that my groups were consistently high right of the 10 ring, I can adjust POA later. What bothered me was the spread of the groupings. I'm a bullseye shooter that can consistently group 1.5" (usually better) at 25 yds with my .22 and my other 9mm, so it's hard for me to claim operator error. I guess after reading some of the other "first time out" range reports here, I was anticipating better results with limited break-in, next time around I plan on putting 300 rounds through it and seeing if the results get better. However, if they don't, not sure I'll want to keep this one for bullseye.

In the mean time...
My question to the experts here is approximately how many rounds did it take to initially break in your XD?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
At least 500 before I was comfortable carrying it but my groups starting dropping around 250. I was shooting primarily 1911s so I had to get used to using a little more finger on the trigger. High right sounds like too much finger or thumb pressure. I threw out flinching since you obviously have a lot of experience.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I don't know if the XD needs a break-in, but you may. :) I don't doubt that you are an accomplished shooter, but anytime you move to a new platform you can't expect the results that you always get with the platforms that you are experienced with. Stick with it, and I think you will find you just needed to get used to the new grip, trigger, sights, etc.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you are getting 1.5 groups with a .22 & another 9, I don't blame you for being concerned! I would be sick. Are you having trouble with the trigger? I came to the XD from the 1911, and was used to a crisp 4lb pull. That don't happen with the XD. At first I was doing terrible, but as I stuck with it, did a lot of dry firing to practice follow through & got more comfortable with the XD platform my groups improved. I can do 3 in. at our 50ft range. I am happy with that. The XD id not a target gun & I doubt you would be able to compete in bullseye with it, as it is a combat weapon. As such you can't expect match accuracy.

I have a Kimber Custom (series 1) that has a hard fit Ed Brown bbl that will shoot way better than I ever will. Over sandbags @ 50ft with my pet load I got a .960 group of 5 rounds. If I could do that standing up, O Boy!

My point is, the XD is a great weapon, I carry my .45c, but to show off I shoot my 1911's!

Have fun man!

Hey, this is my 100th post! finally made it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't really intend for this gun to be a bullseye shooter, possibly an IDPA gun eventually but primary purpose (as with all my guns, other than my .22) is home/self-defense.

I've considered that maybe I just need to get used to the new system, but I have shot others' XDs in the past without the accuracy problems I had on my Friday trip. Being a little off with a new gun is expected, it was the degree I was off at a short range that seemed wrong to me. I frequently handle other people's firearms, often models and systems I haven't shot before, and I'm rarely to never that far off with a gun capable of shooting straight.

I'll post an update tomorrow after a little more range time. Tomorrow morning the gun will get a thorough cleaning and shortly thereafter I plan on running 200-300 rounds through it. To satisfy my own curiosity I've arranged to bench shoot at least 50 at various ranges as a benchmark and to see where the factory sights are lining up.

Thanks all,
w00dc4ip

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good idea to run some rounds through it & bench it. That will give you a good idea of what the gun is capable of doing. Run some different brands of ammo through it to see if you get any better performance. I think as you get familiar with the XD trigger, your groups will improve, I know mine did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had concerns about initial accuracy when I first got my pistol. The XD grip fit's like no other and lends to really tight groups and they are only getting tighter. I recently had some trigger work done and the travel, reset, and action is a lot nicer. For about 40 bucks and some polishing, it's definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most modern guns, IMHO, don't need a lengthy break-in period. Almost any machine will run better after it's been used a bit and the mating surfaces have a chance to mesh ... however ... anybody who would buy a gun, load it and start carrying is nuts ... both my carry guns fired at least 300-400 rounds of mixed ammo, including at least 50 rounds of my chosen SD JHPs, without failure before I would trust my family's life to that weapon ... both guns, a Kahr PM-9 and a Kimber Ultra Carry II, passed that test and one of them is on my hip every day ... make sure your gun runs without a hiccup before you strap it on ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it turns out the gun did need a little break-in. Benched it first thing when I got to the range a few days ago and it was shooting 2" groups at 10 yards, a little high and right of the bull(POA). Shot around 100 more rounds through it noticing my groups were getting tighter. Went again today after a good cleaning and benched nice tight groups, approximately 1" hitting slightly right of POA at 10 yards. Put another 100 rounds through it pretty much hitting POA. Need to do a bench test at 25 yards next time, didn't have time today. As long as when all is said and done I can hit wihin a 6" circle consistently at 25 yards, I'd say the gun's as accuracte as I'll ever need it to be.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good job! I always like to bench test my guns to see what they are capable of. That gives me an idea of what to strive for. One thing I have noticed is that when I sight in a weapon from the bench, I always have to fine tune it for offhand shooting, as my stance, grip & tirigger control all affect where the darn bullit goes.
Gd to hear things are going well, you will warm up to your XD!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts