Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I have recently purchased my very first AR15 which is a Smith and Wesson M&P flatop. I was wondering when I go and take it out to the range for the first time is there a break-in period? Mean do I have to shoot a number of rounds, clean the barrel out then shoot another number of rounds? Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Everyone has a difference of opinion, but these are IMO some good instructions if you're after top accuracy from what you have ... It's probably overkill for a chrome-lined barrel though.

Break-In & Cleaning

Barrel Break-in

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
So, i am looking at a MP15 OR version, and am wondering if i can get some price guidelines. Anyone know what a realistic price range is/was before last week? Thanks!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I do clean my AR first, then shoot about 50 rounds. Clean. Go to range next time and shoot 100 (single shot, no rapid fire) and clean. I repeat this until 500 rounds before I start shooting rapid fire. Not saying its right, just how I do it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i own a m&p 15t, and i didnt do a break in , i cleaned it , lubed it real well, then took it to the range and put 200 rounds through it. the first 20 rounds were slow fired, to sight in the flip up irons, then the rest were pretty much a mix of fast and slow fire. i took it home and gave it a good cleaning, which wasnt that bad with the chrome lined barrel. mine eats any ammo, but is most accuarate with black hills ammo. thats my 2 cents worth.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
NAHC LIFE MEMBER

WE CAN ONLY BE WHAT WE GIVE OURSELVES THE POWER TO BE...

·
Registered
902 Posts
IMHO with a chrome-lined bbl:
1. Clean well before use - get bolt carrier dripping wet and make sure there is no grease in chamber or bore.
2. Go to range & sight in slowly for first 20-30rds.
3. Shoot the thing at least 200-300rds, add some lube to BCG if dry (optional - lightly clean & relube)
4. Get the total round count to 500 or so, then break it down & clean/relube everything thoroughly.
5. Enjoy the peace of mind that your battle rifle will handle the conditions it was designed for, and knowing its probably more than capable for anything short of TEOTWAWKI ;-)

A stainless or non-chromed 'target'/NM/varmint barrel is a specialized beast and does require some care and feeding such as Kreiger's instructions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
IMHO with a chrome-lined bbl:
1. Clean well before use - get bolt carrier dripping wet and make sure there is no grease in chamber or bore.
2. Go to range & sight in slowly for first 20-30rds.
3. Shoot the thing at least 200-300rds, add some lube to BCG if dry (optional - lightly clean & relube)
4. Get the total round count to 500 or so, then break it down & clean/relube everything thoroughly.
5. Enjoy the peace of mind that your battle rifle will handle the conditions it was designed for, and knowing its probably more than capable for anything short of TEOTWAWKI ;-)

A stainless or non-chromed 'target'/NM/varmint barrel is a specialized beast and does require some care and feeding such as Kreiger's instructions.
This, unless you are going with a match grade shooter.

The only thing I would add is I usually go back and re-zero the rifle after the first 500 go down the pipe

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would deinately clean it well first, and then just go and shoot good stuff through it...after your range day, come home and clean it well...with a chrome lined barrel, you really shouldn't have a break in period...but hat's just my opinion (I did do research on this when I was a AR noob).

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Make sure the barrel isn't full of anything. Shoot it and than come home and clean it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts