Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually use M-Pro for cleaning and lube needs but when to the range with a friend today who uses CLP. After grabbing some lunch we went to his place and cleaned up the AK and figured I would give his clp a try on my XDM's. Have to say I'm pretty impressed by a one step product. It did a great job cleaning despite being basically an oil. It was a little messy but clean up wasn't too bad, a quick towel to the slide and frame and any residue was mostly gone.

It gets a +1 in my book. I think the M-Pro is a more of a "deep clean" but only by reason of OCD on my part and being a 2 step process.

Now to see how it does with collecting junk on the next range trip in a week or two.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I hate change. So for many years I used the old school ways. Hoppes solvent and Hoppes oil afterwards. But after a buddy of mine that is a LEO and owns a gun shop said it was all he used 99% of the time I finally broke down and bought some. I would say of the C,L, & P, the cleaner is probably the weakest link but if you clean your guns after you shoot them it is absolutely fine as a cleaner. The lube and protect part are very very good IMO. My only complaint is the way it sprays out of the can, in the fact that it doesn't spray. It comes out more like spit. So I keep the aerosol can with the straw for most jobs but if I want to fog something lightly I use a Misto olive oil mister which cost me about $10. The CLP comes out of it pretty fine. I use Gun Scrubber or Hoppes solvent once in a while on something really dirty, but I am a believer.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Every study I have seen done on this proves that it isn't RemOil. If you don't like it obviously that is your choice, but your description is way off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use CLP as my primary cleaner. If I want a deeper clean, I use their BreakFree Blaster (I think that's what it's called) then use CLP after for lube. I run all my pistols pretty dry anyway. Just the most vital areas get a light lube, everything else just gets brushed or q-tipped. Clean and lube guns according to how they should be cleaned and lubed. Modern poly guns like the XD/XDm/XDs don't required much lube. An AR15 should be well lubed and proper cleaned.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I pretty much use 4 things for gun maintenance. Rem oil, Mobil 1, hoppes oil, and hoppes 9.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
CLP is good stuff. I use it and and a little Rem-Oil on the rails of my autos.

A nylon or brass scrubbing brush and old toothbrushes go A long way.

I havent seen the appeal of the boutique products for guns yet. Same can be said for automotive care, it's hard to beat Meguairs products for availability and quality, I feel the same about CLP and the classic Hoppes.

Outers nitro solvent is still one of my favorite smells ever though :-D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hoppe's No.9

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I tried hoppes 9, but after one use, the toxic smell was just too much. It's worse than any mineral spirits or lacquer thinner I've ever used. I now use both the liquid and the spray BF CLP depending on where it's needed. No smell and it works well for me. I keep a small bottle in my range bag to lube rails and bolts as needed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I hate the term "CLP" -- what cleaner? The stuff is just gun oil indistinguishable from Rem Oil.
It's been close enough for government work for quite a while now. Try getting an issued weapon by an a$$hole of an armorer with RemOil only.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I've always used CLP but today I priced it and noticed it said Safariland.. was it always their brand? The price for the small can was $8+ and I paid $4 a can last Christmas.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I've always used CLP but today I priced it and noticed it said Safariland.. was it always their brand? The price for the small can was $8+ and I paid $4 a can last Christmas.
Which size of can?

·
Registered
706 Posts
CLP is good stuff. I use it and and a little Rem-Oil on the rails of my autos.

A nylon or brass scrubbing brush and old toothbrushes go A long way.

I havent seen the appeal of the boutique products for guns yet. Same can be said for automotive care, it's hard to beat Meguairs products for availability and quality, I feel the same about CLP and the classic Hoppes.

Outers nitro solvent is still one of my favorite smells ever though :-D
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes the smell of solvent lol!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
The new Breakfree CLP by Safariland doesn't seem the same as the Mil Spec Breakfree we used in the Army back when. I don't know if that's good or bad. Maybe it's new and improved, but it's not approved by the military anymore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts