Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback on .177 or .22 air rifles for some target/varmit shooting around the house (yard). I know the rifles with FPSs exceeding 1000 still let out a noticeable "crack" so what are my options? I think I'd like to find something in the $150 range and one with a scope.

I don't need a precision rifle made by Gunter Z Jaegermeister, or Annie Schultz, just a reasonably accurate yard rifle that can dispatch critters within 30 yards and some tight grouping at 25 yards. Do models with muzzlebrakes like Gamos Whisper fall into this area? I tried the search function, but didn't fare well. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I had a gamo shadow as a teen and it was pretty accurate with irons. I tried to put a scope, but it kept moving around. Also check out crosman and winchester

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you can double your budget, you will get a much better rifle unless you find one used. I am using a Benjamin Super Streak in .22. It was in the 300 clam range, but more than worth it. (Looks like the Trail NP XL has replaced it.) The 250-350 tier of rifles will do way more than the lower tiers. Mine will drop a raccoon at 35 yards easily and punch holes in 1/2: plywood like it isn't even there.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I have a Gamo I bought from Cabelas Bargin Cave as a refurbished, like new. It had a small scratch on it but otherwise perfect. Came with a scope and even had a lazer. I saved over $100 on it. It was like new with 1 scratch. 1200 fPS with the gold coated bullets in .177 cal. So far it has to it's credit about 10 racoons and 25 squirrels. Not enough noise to bother my neighbors.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bone, I have a Savage Mark II (or is it III) FVT bolt that I shoot in NY Sporterrifle league. Very accurate.
While I am still in the country, I have too many houses in close proximity to be sending .22LR without someone bitching. Probably just a decent .177 for some fun and maybe use to recruit younguns into the shooting sports.
XDefense, PM sent.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a .177 RWS 93, had it for many years. Nice and not expensive, plenty powerful and more accurate than I can shoot.

Should be in your price range, have fun

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ive got a break barrel thats ohh around 50 years old that my dad hunted with as a child while growing up in Africa after the family fled Europe after the War. Still works great and I assume is high power. The pellet cracks when fired, im guessing its super sonic.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
If you have a .22 bolt action already then you just need some different ammo.

try some aguila colibri or super colibri. they are both almost silent. but still work for pest control. also the CCI CB shorts are quiet but are faster and more accurate than the colibri. the CB's do a quick job on squirrels.
Aguila Colibri Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 20 Grain Solid Point Box of 50 - MidwayUSA

i do have a break barrel pellet gun, a storm XT from walmart. i know it isnt anything fancy but for 100$, it sucks. the trigger is terrible, the recoil from the spring is annoying, it isnt accurate and its noisy. a .22 rifle is MUCH more enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
19,745 Posts
In many places firing a 22 and firing a pellet gun are entirely different in the eyes of the law (or at least different in the eyes of many LEOs). I myself would love a break barrel that could take game **** sized and maybe a little bigger. one quiet enough to avoid annoying the neighbors would be ideal.

eta **** = c o o n, as in racoon

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Coonage is why I bought mine. I've taken over 80 in the last 3 years. The .22 Crow Magnums do the trick.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
try some aguila colibri or super colibri. they are both almost silent. but still work for pest control.
I think I tried the Super Colibri but they don't make it out of the barrel. I'd try the CB shorts, but it's a LR rifle, not sure they'll work. CHeaper than a air gun tho.

I found this on the link provided by XDefense. The FPS is pretty fast and the demo price looks inviting.

Walther Talon Magnum Pellet Rifle - Umarex USA - UmarexUSA.com

Started my first garden ever and something has been eating the chit out of my broccoli. Been spraying Sevin on them with no luck. Last night I pulled in the driveway and saw this little bunny outside the fence. He's probably the little bastid eating my plants, so I'm donning the camo, Bill Murray-style and waging war. After I plug the gaps under my fence! What do you think about the Walther?

·
Registered
19,745 Posts
I think I tried the Super Colibri but they don't make it out of the barrel. I'd try the CB shorts, but it's a LR rifle, not sure they'll work. CHeaper than a air gun tho.

I found this on the link provided by XDefense. The FPS is pretty fast and the demo price looks inviting.

Walther Talon Magnum Pellet Rifle - Umarex USA - UmarexUSA.com

Started my first garden ever and something has been eating the chit out of my broccoli. Been spraying Sevin on them with no luck. Last night I pulled in the driveway and saw this little bunny outside the fence. He's probably the little bastid eating my plants, so I'm donning the camo, Bill Murray-style and waging war. After I plug the gaps under my fence! What do you think about the Walther?
if you want to get rid of bunnies, a live trap would be a better bet. In the off chance that you may someday have to dispatch something bigger than a bunny, I'd step up to a 22 caliber gun putting out similar FPS.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
the colibris wont cycle a auto gun. i tried it once in my 10/22 before i knew better and it lodged in the barrel. in my bolt and lever action they do good, never had a prob with function but they are not very accurate past 20-30 yards.

the cci cb shorts are nice and accurate but fall fairly quick. it is predictable and still accurate with the drop.

if you can have a little more noise and are close range the aguila SSS makes a good varmint puncher. also the sss feeds great in my 10/22 so its good for quick fire on armadillos.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bunny expired last night thanks to my Savage .22LR. Silly rabbit hung around like I was going to give him an after dinner beer! Tied him up to the fence Hannibal Lecter-style as a message to his friends. (not really)

My cousin is an FFL dealer and I'm ordering a Gamo Silent Cat .22 for under my $150 ceiling. I'm sure there's better models, but uncle has vouched for its accuracy. A nuisance control officer, he has dropped coons and fox with it (a Big Cat .22). Thanks to all for your feedback.

·
Registered
19,745 Posts
looks like a good deal and a decent gun. Be sure you don't bring it to MI. That would be a felony offence here :mad:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Crosman Storm XT with a Center Point 3-9x40 scope mounted with Weaver .22lr 1" mounts. I have killed squirells at more than 100yds some time 2-3 shots, in a very densly populated neighborhood and never had a neighboor catch me doing it. I purchased it after our surrounding woods in Goose Creek, Sc were developed for housing and that population of 300 plus moved into our very homes. I shoot those Gamo pellets that get 1200fps and they take raccoons with a well placed shot here in Washington now. I used an exacto saw to remove the front fiber optic sight as it showed up in both scopes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts